Quantcast

Hollow star nut.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'm setting a bike up with a hydro gyro, and I don't know what to do about the front brake line. I haven't put a cable through the headtube since the 90s, and it's never been on a suspension bike.

I'm sure I can make it work, but I want to see some other setups. Anyone have an elegant solution to this design problem?

I also am curious if there is anything out there besides the old hollow bolt like the Aheadsets used to have.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
I've seen that Gravity nut, now that you've posted it. Going through the star like that would make me a bit nervous. Cleaner look though.

Does anyone on here run such a thing?

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
maybe figure out a solution that has an internally threaded steer tube like most bmx forks, and has external hex edges for say a 14mm wrench instead of an allen wrench, in order to have a huge opening

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
maybe figure out a solution that has an internally threaded steer tube like most bmx forks, and has external hex edges for say a 14mm wrench instead of an allen wrench, in order to have a huge opening
I thought about that. Thread the steerer like on a 1" fork. Or internally like you mentioned. Tough to do for cheap, though.

Edit: found a bike shop that has the die for an old 1-1/8 threaded headtube. That could be really cool. Might bork my fork...

Last edited:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
2 ideas.

1- Tree's new front brake fork bolt. you would need to thread your steerer tube to accept the bolt.

http://www.treebicycleco.com/front-brake-headset-cap/

2- Tree's H10 fork bolt and the aheadset freestyle starnut (pictured in duck's post). Just toss the bolt and cap. This is what I use and it's butter. For your aplication though (running a cable through the broach) you could drill the cap to accept a spanner tool.

Drilled Tree cap. For use with Park SPA-6. Do it!!

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I've seen that Gravity nut, now that you've posted it. Going through the star like that would make me a bit nervous. Cleaner look though.
Does anyone on here run such a thing?
I have the 1.5" version by Gravity, but I sold my Trek before I set it up... Nice little unit, looks like it would work well. I run the Aheadset one on my Contraband. Hard to beat @ $5 each. :)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm setting a bike up with a hydro gyro, and I don't know what to do about the front brake line. I haven't put a cable through the headtube since the 90s, and it's never been on a suspension bike.

I'm sure I can make it work, but I want to see some other setups. Anyone have an elegant solution to this design problem?

I also am curious if there is anything out there besides the old hollow bolt like the Aheadsets used to have.
What stem is that? I am curious if the seals with work on long descents. Cool project.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Bill, I would love to ride Dr. J. I got a tour of it a month ago, but it was too muddy to ride. Not sure when I'll get out that way. Kind of a haul.

Bucko, the company is called Affix. They have some really interesting hubs and bearingless BBs also.

This thread is worthless without pics.

New color scheme...

I'm considering drilling a hole in the steerer and running the hose through the hole pictured here.

Finally broke down and got some hydros. Picked up this set for $40. XT/Saint Frankenstein.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
I decided to thread the steerer and put a nut on there. Got the nut for free, and the shop charged me $15 for the labor. Only a couple bucks more than the cheapie star nut. This way I didn't have to cut the hose. The whole banjo goes right through. If anything it's lighter than before. The hose doesn't kink down below, it slides though and bends at the top like you see on a moto.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
ok, maybe I'm obtuse here but what is the point of having the hose go down the steerer tube if you still have your derailer cables running "standard"?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
ok, maybe I'm obtuse here but what is the point of having the hose go down the steerer tube if you still have your derailer cables running "standard"?
Um, there are no derailleur cables on that bike.

But other than that, you're right, it wouldn't make much sense.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ok, you are correct. No derailers. There IS a rear brake though. So same question. :)
Like Justmtn said. But even if there was still a rear cable, running the front through the stem will allow at least one rotation of the bars. That hydro-gyro thing is relatively new. Lots of people run their front cable through the bars and an extra long rear cable.

Dang, things have come a long way since I had to plead with my LBS to drill out my stem bolt on my BMX for an original Potts mod back in like '84...

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
You'll never have to worry about the cable getting shredded in a crash from the bars spinning around, either....
The downside is that you have to take the brake apart if you pull the fork.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I decided to thread the steerer and put a nut on there. Got the nut for free, and the shop charged me $15 for the labor. Only a couple bucks more than the cheapie star nut. This way I didn't have to cut the hose. The whole banjo goes right through. If anything it's lighter than before. The hose doesn't kink down below, it slides though and bends at the top like you see on a moto.
Awesome man, it really isnt worth that far of a trip yet but when you are down here it will be awesome, come at the end of the summer the jump/skills park will be done (sure you have seen pics)...if you haven't swamp whale is perfect check it out.

Anyway, bike looks great...Justin and I made fun of you every time brakes come up (the fact you were riding '97 levers on that bike)...Just didnt make sense...But I am a huge fan of BB7's they just work...

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Oh and I had those saints for 4 years until one finally froze up on me this year, still running the caliper on the back of my XC bike...they are rocks good choice.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Looks clean woody. How's it tightening the nut? Seems like a PIA. Can't tell if there's room or not.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Anyway, bike looks great...Justin and I made fun of you every time brakes come up (the fact you were riding '97 levers on that bike)...Just didnt make sense...But I am a huge fan of BB7's they just work...
I was running those levers entirely for the purpose of annoying Andy. You can't say they didn't work, though. Worlds better than the Hope single pots it came with. Those things were dangerous.

Looks clean woody. How's it tightening the nut? Seems like a PIA. Can't tell if there's room or not.
I was able to get enough torque with my fingers to get it snug. Pretty big nut. You're right though, there isn't room for anything but a socket, which I don't have. My backup plan is to loosen the stem and use the bars for leverage as I wedge something between the stem and nut. Not too worried about it.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I was running those levers entirely for the purpose of annoying Andy. You can't say they didn't work, though. Worlds better than the Hope single pots it came with. Those things were dangerous.
Haha, i think i told Justin at one point that i was going to send you my spare pair of XTR levers (my fav)...hey if it works it does, but those weren't pretty...and your bike is.

yeah hope isnt my bag. shimano fanboy on brakes here.