Quantcast

Holy Mother of....

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
My friend Owen and I were sessioning Vic West skate park today. It was an awesome ride, filled with double peg stalls, feeble grinds, lots of hips, everything. It came to an end when Owen collided full-speed with a skateboarder. They hit full-speed, I heard them slam into each other they hit so hard. He went down and when I got there was having a seizure. Owen was out cold. I was thinking paralysis, brain damage. Scary stuff. We stabilized him and called an ambulance, carefully watching his breathing, pulse, and of course not moving him. The ambulance finally showed up, and the workers took over. He was trying to turn his head despite our restraint. The ambulance workers took over and packed him up. I handled his bike/pads and stuff, dropped everything off at home then met him at the hospital. Thankfully, he was awake by the time I showed up there. He wound up with a concussion and whiplash, and when I left was just waiting for a CT scan. He remembers everything up to the crash, but nothing between the crash and his waking up (of course).

The skater was uninjured.

Any scary stories from you monkeys?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
ouch!
hope he gets well soon.

I can't tell you how many times i've seen collisions. your friends sounds really bad though.

usually it's the little kids that plow each other.

if it's too crowded at a skate park I would just leave and come back later.

the way i looked at it was, I'm already trying to kill myself, I don't need anyones help.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Nice job keeping him still and stable till the ambulance arrived. Sounds like you kept a cool head and avoided any potential complications. I hope he's back up and riding soon!

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Scary stuff, good to here that he is alive. One time at the Brea skatepark, Sanjay ran into a skateboarder who was bookin it around the park, the guy got all pissed off. He turned out to be an ex con. It was pretty funny listening to the skateboarder making fun of Sanjay though. Fortunatly I havent hit any one yet

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
.... but its not about riding...

ok i was at a pot luck for my brthers basketball team and my friend was there because he has a brother in the same calss as my brother. and as this guys dad is coming up the 3 steps he slipped in some goop and went down, i heard his head SMACK the cement threw the soundproof window....
it was really scary.....
he staryed siezing, and all the parents were helping him and an ambulance came. i remember trew this whole thing 2 of the other kids moms were complaining because the food was getting cold,
some people you know?

:D :cool: :)

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
It wasn't even very packed there, that's the weird thing. Of course, even with two people on the park there is always the chance of a collision. Owen and I crashed into each other once an hour or so before he got wiped out. Thankfully I bailed out and just rolled out, although my head glanced the cement too.

Some kid was on the cell phone with his mom while Owen was lying there having his seizure. His mom asked him on the phone whether or not he was wearing his helmet. The kid wasn't. His mom (I assume) told him "You should be wearing it," to which he replied "I don't need it, I'm fine." Some people! Yeesh. If Owen wasn't wearing his helmet, he would have been a splat on the concrete for sure.

By the way, Owen is doing fine now. He went home last night and was feeling pretty groggy, but should be out and riding really soon.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
yea...ive ran into a bunch of little kids while bmxing at the park...usually its while im in the air or at least half way off the lip that they dart out in front of the landing and stop stupid little fockers.

Just at the beggining of August I had a serious crash, I am still a little mangled from.
I recently started freeriding on a F/S Brodie and was with my cousin who is a VERY experienced and talented rider/racer. We were exploring some new terrain in Ontario along the escarpment and discovered an abandoned open pit clay mine. it was awesome it had banks that were 300+ ft long at near 55deg. It was just sick and you could link a series of banks by starting at the top and whenever you hit the access road (which spiraled all the way to the top around this huge pit) you could catch air and land somewhere down on the next bank.
Well at first we were just contact riding it, which was scary enough as even on full brakes you were screaming down at like 40 mph, but I had a camera with me and of course we started taking pics. I was on the second to last (near the bottom) loop of the road and my cousin came screaming by me so I could take a pic of him launcing huge off the lip and when he got to the bottom I told him to wait, cuz I was going to come down.
Well it was a hot day, so I stupidly had left all my armour save knee/shin guards in the truck and even opted for an open face helmet.
I pedaled up the road around 500ft for some speed and came screaming toward the lip he had used and launched off, it was awesome and I stuck it clean, but I was going way faster than I anticipated and hit the last road at nearly 60 mph. The last slope was only about 110ft high and I landed right near the bottom way out of control, there was barely any transition to the flat bottom, and my 8" fork was completely compressed at this point, so I went face first at full speed into the ground. Needless to say I blacked out instantly.
This is what my cousin has told me.
He said that I hit the ground so hard with my face that he felt it in the ground and then I bounced off like six feet in the air and ended up landing on my back and skidded to a halt. He said he was not sure if I was dead or alive, and that there were bloody bubbles coming out of my mouth. It took nearly a min, before I reagained consciousness.
I cracked my jaw,
broke 2 ribs
separated my left shoulder
and severly lacerated my left arm and left side of my chest
with minor lacerations on my face and back.

it was pretty awesome, needless to say I DO NOT ride without full armour and a full face, even if it is just a street ride.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Originally posted by turd ferguison
usually in skater/bikeing crashed the skaters usally get the injuries
Yeah, I would have though so too, but the biker has a bike to fall on (not a good thing when you have pegs and such), whereas a skater can basically step off and not have to deal with what they were riding.

Apr 14, 2002
Los Osos, California
That sucks, glad to hear that your friend is alright.
Shootr, that sounds like a fun place to ride, its too bad you got fvcked up.

I was launching a box at a local park and I happened to land on a guy's skateboard by "accident". He had started a fight with a friend of mine by the name of Eric earlier because he thought Eric got too close (several feet) and he was "messing his skating up". He hit Eric in the back with his skateboard. Eric has a slight asmatha problem, so he had to leave. After he saw that i had broken his skateboard, he took his friends board and threw it at my bike, which dented it. I got pissed, lost my temper, and long story short, I ended up on probation.

DON'T FIGHT PEOPLE OVER LITTLE SH!T.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
that is funny super 8, but sad
i had to leave a grammer school because to many kids were picking fights with me....

AND of course i won....

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
I have a similer skater being a bastard story. I was up in Vail at the skatepark. I was riding my Azonic DS-1 so I was on a "Mountain Bike" even though all I used the bike for was trials and dirt jumping(another story). Well this whiny skater falls trying some weak grind, and I sit there for a bit. He is on the opposite side of a funbox so I cannot see him. While he is down(somewhere around 3-5minutes) I start talking to my friend. Then I go and jump the funbox because it had been so long that I figured he had gotten up. Well needless to say the whiny bastard is still rolling around trying to get attention. I jump the funbox and miss him by a good 5-6 feet. He immediately jumps to his feet(he was dying of pain) and yells at me. He proceeds to yell at me and be a dick for the next hour that I was there. I didn't say anything because there were a whole lot of skaters and only one biker.
The best part of the story though, is later that day I met up with a bunch of pro trials riders that were in town for the sports festival. We all deicded to head to the skatepark. It just so happened that my good buddy the skater dick was still there. Only now I had a posse of about ten mountain bikers. The coward went straight to his car and left as soon as he recognized me.
That felt almost as good as punching him in the face.

Apr 14, 2002
Los Osos, California
EXACTLY. Someone starts a fight with you, and you beat the sh!t out of them, and you get punished, and they get help because "they are the victim." Thats bullsh!t. But oh well, and thats only IF you get caught/in trouble.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Not bad stories guys! It's interesting how people who push wood and people who turn pedals segregate. Next time you see a skater (preferably one who's not pushing you around), maybe try talking to him or complimenting a move. Of course there are the bastard skaters who just want to cause trouble and think the world revolves around them. They think that bikers are the bane of skaters and will do a lot of things to get the bikers out of there. Those people need a lesson.

My original message wasn't to say how much I dislike skaters or anything, since Owen's accident was just that, an accident. Each person didn't see the other. So nobody's to blame there.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i had a scary bmx accident on saturday...

i was riding down this huge hill with all these turns and suck and i was going like 30-35 mph when i got to the last turn i made it clean, and got to the flat and stated pedaling my ass off just to maintain a good speed...

well my chain fell off and i went down hard....
i have road rash all over the left side of my body, and there were a lot of people htere that saw it so i also have a bruised ego :(

this one guy was tryin to help me and i was pretty ****ed up, his friend was sayin stoopid **** like "hey bro dont smoke and ride your bike" and "do you want us to call your mommy" (i am 14) i felt like hitting this guy with my bike, but my concious stopped me,
well if i had eaten brakfast i probably would have been throwing up all over the place, but i didnt so that was a plus ;)

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
maybe try talking to him or complimenting a move.

I find it easier to stay out of their way, don't talk to them, and they do the same to you. Course I hardly ride parks

Of course there are the bastard skaters who just want to cause trouble and think the world revolves around them.

A bit a of a generalization don't ya think?

They think that bikers are the bane of skaters and will do a lot of things to get the bikers out of there. Those people need a lesson.

Bikers are the bane of skaters. We mess up ledges and take out hunks of concrete with our pegs. I wouldn't like bikers if I was a skater and neither would you. If anything I'm surprised by how most skaters are pretty chill and as long as you stay out of the way during their run don't give a damn about bikers. Ever built up a set of dirtjumps and had a bunch of dirtboarders come and mess up the lips?

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk
maybe try talking to him or complimenting a move.

I find it easier to stay out of their way, don't talk to them, and they do the same to you. Course I hardly ride parks

Of course there are the bastard skaters who just want to cause trouble and think the world revolves around them.

A bit a of a generalization don't ya think?

They think that bikers are the bane of skaters and will do a lot of things to get the bikers out of there. Those people need a lesson.

Bikers are the bane of skaters. We mess up ledges and take out hunks of concrete with our pegs. I wouldn't like bikers if I was a skater and neither would you. If anything I'm surprised by how most skaters are pretty chill and as long as you stay out of the way during their run don't give a damn about bikers. Ever built up a set of dirtjumps and had a bunch of dirtboarders come and mess up the lips?
I don't talk to skaters much, but there are the nice ones who are worth talking to.

My comment about the bastard skaters was not a general comment, but one to acknowledge that people like this DO exist. I wasn't at all implying all skaters are like that.

I do agree, an irresponsible biker can kill parks. I'm glad most skaters are chill here. MTB's don't get much respect in the parks, except for the VERY skilled trials riders who come around once in awhile.

Just MHO though.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by KonaDude

I don't talk to skaters much, but there are the nice ones who are worth talking to.

your talking to one right now......

:eek: :D

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
i was about to say the same thing about mountainboards and dirt jumps.
also, it's hard enough to keep an eye out for fruitbooters and little grommets who stare at their feet the whole time they skate
or go down and try to do kickflips in the flat part of the bowl or halfpipe rather than the street area; but it's just plain scary trying to keep from getting nailed by 50 lbs of flying steel
that said, i love watching bmx guys in parks; but i hate watching em destroy coping
lotta parks are starting to not let guys in with pegs
fine by me

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
what it really comes down to is, some people are jerks and others aren't....

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk

Yeah, also skateparks can be kinda messy situations in general. The only time I really ride them is at 5am with my friends. Then they're a blast.
Most of the people at the local park here are gone by 9 PM, I just go then. Awesome!