Quantcast

holy poop my new frame is here! (v10)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
For cranks, I'd go for XTs if you can. Reasonable price and weight. I think Diabolus and Saint are too much for most people; the arms are freakin heavy on those things. I'm much more likely to wreck a bb than bend the arms.

For wheels, I've had good luck with Sun and Mavic both. The Singletracks are nice for a lightweight set, but I'd go for the MTXs if you don't mind adding a few grams for durability. I've also used Mag 30s with good success but they are too heavy unless you really pound stuff. Definitely they are the strongest rim I've used.

I've also seen 321s and 521s (whatever the new numbers are for those) that have lasted forever. Get a good build and they can withstand some serious abuse. Haven't had much experience with the 823s but I've used 819s for a while and they were great.

A Hadley/Mavic set is sick. I had Hadley on my bike (stolen last month) and it was awesome. Never touched it, it just worked like it was supposed to all the time. Near instant engagement. Nice, satisfying buzz....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
JRogers said:
For cranks, I'd go for XTs if you can. Reasonable price and weight. I think Diabolus and Saint are too much for most people; the arms are freakin heavy on those things. I'm much more likely to wreck a bb than bend the arms.
I'm light and they still haven't worked out too well. BBs are easily contaminated and the spider is a little off. I prefer good old ISIS for now, even at the weight penalty. I've even had a crank arm fall off while riding on my XTs at Mammoth, that wasn't fun.

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
as far as rims go, i have sun ringle double tracks that i have slammed onto so many rocks extremely hard and they are still perfectly straight, they really are bombproof. with my dh tubes and minion tires i never once flatted in the 3 years i have had this combination.
but i think the double tracks are replaced by the eight tracks which look sweet, and if i ever break these Dtracks i'm going straight for those.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Bicyclist said:
I'm light and they still haven't worked out too well. BBs are easily contaminated and the spider is a little off. I prefer good old ISIS for now, even at the weight penalty. I've even had a crank arm fall off while riding on my XTs at Mammoth, that wasn't fun.
A crank arm fall off? Dang. I have saints on my other bike right now, and they are nice and stiff, just heavy. No issues with bad bearings, or arms coming loose except when they were brand new. They just needed to be re-torqued after the first few rides. Since then they have been solid.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
slcpunk21 said:
Hey, does anyone know of a wheel/hub that isn't SUPER loud?

I haven't had those DT hubs on any bike and was wondering is the star ratched loud?
I have an Azonic Outlaw wheelset on one of my bikes and the hub is very quiet, almost silent.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
nmjb said:
I have an Azonic Outlaw wheelset on one of my bikes and the hub is very quiet, almost silent.
The only thing I don't like about th Azonic stuff is the rims, they're heavy and haven't held up for me. ( I haven't seen any problems with the hubs though.)

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
slcpunk21 said:
The only thing I don't like about th Azonic stuff is the rims, they're heavy and haven't held up for me. ( I haven't seen any problems with the hubs though.)
I have never used them on my DH bike, they're on a hardtail that I ride as a trailbike. The rims do seem to dent easily, but like you, I haven't had any problems with the hubs.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
slcpunk21 said:
A crank arm fall off? Dang. I have saints on my other bike right now, and they are nice and stiff, just heavy. No issues with bad bearings, or arms coming loose except when they were brand new. They just needed to be re-torqued after the first few rides. Since then they have been solid.
Yeah, I really just prefer ISIS now.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Bicyclist said:
Hmm...well, all I can say is I've had very good luck with Shimano cranksets. I've had Ultegra, XT and LX and all have worked well, particularly the bottom brackets.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
JRogers said:
Hmm...well, all I can say is I've had very good luck with Shimano cranksets. I've had Ultegra, XT and LX and all have worked well, particularly the bottom brackets.

The BBs tend to get shot faster than internal BBs because of contamination. It's after a while. They work fine, the bearing just tend to give up quickly. And shelling out 50 bucks for a BB every 8 months isn't fun.