Quantcast

Holzfeller OCT 2007

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
I was just on the SRAM site looking up some information about getting some new cranks for next season and noticed that the 2007 OCT Holzfeller cranks are only available in 170 and 175mm !

I wanted to email SRAM to confirm this but they don't seem to have any way of contacting them by email strangely enough.

Does anbody know for sure that 165mm is no longer available in 2007 ?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I was just on the SRAM site looking up some information about getting some new cranks for next season and noticed that the 2007 OCT Holzfeller cranks are only available in 170 and 175mm !

I wanted to email SRAM to confirm this but they don't seem to have any way of contacting them by email strangely enough.

Does anbody know for sure that 165mm is no longer available in 2007 ?
I picked up the phone the other day and called them direct. Got the tech department very easily and the guy was very helpful.
Phone is quicker. Either that or get in touch with your local shop. SRAM spends a lot of money educating shops about what's coming out...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I brought up this same point when the '07 site first went live. They also do not make a low (< 1") rise bar with any width (28"). Do these product guys not talk to their own paid racers? Rennie runs a 29+ inch wide bar...Makes NO sense to me at all.
The only 165mm cranks they are making are ROAD cranks.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I brought up this same point when the '07 site first went live. They also do not make a low (< 1") rise bar with any width (28"). Do these product guys not talk to their own paid racers? Rennie runs a 29+ inch wide bar...Makes NO sense to me at all.
The only 165mm cranks they are making are ROAD cranks.
what are you talking about?

Truvativ makes the Holzfeller which is offered in 710mm width and in 25, 35 and 50mm rise - the 25mm rise is almost flat.

Rennie’s bar is ghetto rigged by his mechanic (e.g. he made custom inserts to make the bar wider). Not many people make bars that are wider than 710 (28") other than maybe Azonic and FUNN.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
what are you talking about?

Rennie&#8217;s bar is ghetto rigged by his mechanic (e.g. he made custom inserts to make the bar wider). Not many people make bars that are wider than 710 (28") other than maybe Azonic and FUNN.
I understand about Rennies bar, and that is sort of my point. Sam runs a custom longer bar as well and he is NOT a big guy. Down hill pros are running wider bars and no company is making them for sale. There have been several threads here over the summer about wider bars. Just seems silly as you can always shorten them, but it is a b!tch and ghetto to widen them.

Truvativ makes the Holzfeller which is offered in 710mm width and in 25, 35 and 50mm rise - the 25mm rise is almost flat .
The way that i read this, http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/en/truvativ/specs/bars.pdf
is that the 25mm rise are 640mm, the 35mm are 680 and the 50mm are 710. I could be wrong.

either way, the 25mm bars are vaporware. They are not available through any distributor that I know of and I have NEVER seen them on any mail order site. Besides, all the truvativ bars are 31.8 and thus heavier for the same strength (per easton).

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
honestly...i think ghetto extensions on bars aren´t hard to make or insert at all...you just have to worry about what material you use...i widened a pro taper i had about a month ago and it worked perfectly...but realised that i still didn´t like its shape, i prefer the upward curve of a azonic

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah - I couldn't figure out why Truvativ decided NOT to make their OCT line in the 165mm length that is popular with some of us in the DH race scene who like to run low BB's...

That said: Dante - do you think you and Ska Todd could have a talk with these guys at I.B. to see what the reasoning is???

...and maybe convince them that having 165mm OCT's in their 08' lineup wouldn't be such a bad thing?:biggrin:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
The way that i read this, http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/en/truvativ/specs/bars.pdf
is that the 25mm rise are 640mm, the 35mm are 680 and the 50mm are 710. I could be wrong.
yes you are wrong..

either way, the 25mm bars are vaporware. They are not available through any distributor that I know of and I have NEVER seen them on any mail order site. Besides, all the truvativ bars are 31.8 and thus heavier for the same strength (per easton).
I'm currently running the 710x25 Holzfeller bars on my MkIII

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The funny part about Rennie's bars is that the bar manufacturers used to make custom lengths for any pro who asked. I'm not sure if they just stopped doing that, or Rennie and Matt just didn't think to ask.

Anyways, this thread id about cranks. The question is: Does SRAM have a single set of 165mm, DH worthy cranks in production? Pretty silly if they do not.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
origially posted by transend
Does SRAM have a single set of 165mm, DH worthy cranks in production? Pretty silly if they do not
yes it is pretty silly, but according to the chart that i have seen on the sram sight they do not offer a dh crankset that is 165.:banghead:

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Rennie, hill , bryn, all of those guys are running like 30'' bars. Hill and bryn arent that big. I run 25mm rise uncut ea50's at 27.5'', and I definatley want wider. Hell, the bars a lot of people run on bmx bikes now a days are 28''.... Maybe a lot of companies wont produce products that the racers want (165 or shorter cranks, light external cranks in 83mm bb like XT's, 30'' wide bars, certain tires that only the pro's get (2.5 wetscreams) etc) is because the market that would typically purchase these things dont pay retail ?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
yes you are wrong..
I'm currently running the 710x25 Holzfeller bars on my MkIII
OK so it is 'made' that is great, But you know, as does everyone else here, that you get some kind of hook-up directly from sram as well as I.H.

...AND you are making my point for me, you are not 6'4" and you are running a 28" bar on an xc bike.

Just because I will have a Zune here by the end of the month, does not mean that you can get one...

Mere mortals cannot get those bars.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
OK so it is 'made' that is great, But you know, as does everyone else here, that you get some kind of hook-up directly from sram as well as I.H.

...AND you are making my point for me, you are not 6'4" and you are running a 28" bar on an xc bike.

Just because I will have a Zune here by the end of the month, does not mean that you can get one...

Mere mortals cannot get those bars.
I'm done debating - but just so you know I'm not running them at 28" (cut them down to 27") and I didn&#8217;t get them from SRAM...

A.P. - that comment about 30" bars made me chuckle...thanks I needed that..

Truvativ doesn&#8217;t make 165mm DH cranks &#8211; if you&#8217;re not happy about it, you can always look at other manufactures.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
blame the distributors. they're the ones deciding what gets sold and what doesn't. SRAM can't dictate that, and neither can we. it's impossible to get 2.5 Wetscreams, 2.3 DH casing Minions, etc.
You are correct. There is a disconnect there somewhere.

I am a little confused with the relationship between qbp and sram. Seems as though qbp is moving closer to being THE distribution route for sram. They handle employee purchaces, they have tons of small parts and they have stuff way before the other guys (bti). Maybe it is just an issue of the distributors being a little biased toward the road/xc end of things.