Quantcast

Home brewing.....

loosecannon

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
San Diego
I've been wanting to attempt the home beer brewing. What should i get? I see so many different starter kits out there but which one is the best, any sugestions? I live in an apt so I don't have a sh!t load of room.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Usually #2 is for bottling...

I like plastic for my primary fermentation because I like to not chill my beer after boiling. Living in an apartment and doing all grain with two boil kettles makes using my wort chiller a huge, messy pain in the butt.

homebrewtalk.com <--- ridemonkey for brewing

*edit.

oh right. secondarying can clear your beer well too... I always secondary all my beer.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
what do you recommend for those who do or will get super serious about it?
homebrewtalk.com !!

have you looked at it? It's better then any book you can buy. and you can always get into chat and get real time, quality answers.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
homebrewtalk.com !!

have you looked at it? It's better then any book you can buy. and you can always get into chat and get real time, quality answers.
:stupid:

My Brewing library includes:
Amazon.com: The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition (Harperresource Book)&#133;@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KFMQB4WFL.@@AMEPARAM@@51KFMQB4WFL.
Amazon.com: Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles (9780937381502): Ray Daniels: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F8BXXGDSL.@@AMEPARAM@@51F8BXXGDSL
Amazon.com: Radical Brewing: Recipes, Tales and World-Altering Meditations in a Glass (9780937381830): Randy Mosher:&#133;@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514MMBQEYML.@@AMEPARAM@@514MMBQEYML
Amazon.com: Dave Miller&#39;s Homebrewing Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Make Great-Tasting Beer (9780882669052):&#133;@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51adPtvrCiL.@@AMEPARAM@@51adPtvrCiL

My copies of Dave Miller and Designing great bears have more post it notes with hand written notations and dog eared pages than the Republican party has closeted Homosexuals. If you want to get into some advanced homebrewing IMHO those two books are a must have. I've used both of those books to take some of my own brews and scale them up to 7 barrel recipes. A friend who owned a now defunct brewery here in town used to let me do that if I had a really good beer. One of the highlights of my life. :thumb:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:stupid:

My Brewing library includes:
Complete Joy of Homebrewing.
Designing Great Beers
Radical Brewing
Dave Millers Homebrewing Guide

My copies of Dave Miller and Designing great bears have more post it notes with hand written notations and dog eared pages than the Republican party has closeted Homosexuals. If you want to get into some advanced homebrewing IMHO those two books are a must have. I've used both of those books to take some of my own brews and scale them up to 7 barrel recipes. A friend who owned a now defunct brewery here in town used to let me do that if I had a really good beer. One of the highlights of my life. :thumb:

hmmm.... you got involved... brewery went defunct... where's that Oregon trail dysentery pic? :rofl:

joking aside, thanks for the info. I know a lot of more advanced brewing is trial and error, ya just gotta know where to start. Doesn't hurt that I like to read.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
hmmm.... you got involved... brewery went defunct... where's that Oregon trail dysentery pic? :rofl:

joking aside, thanks for the info. I know a lot of more advanced brewing is trial and error, ya just gotta know where to start. Doesn't hurt that I like to read.
Its more math than anything else, which is why I needed the books. I'm the sort of person who rarely brews anything more than twice. I like to experiment and try new ingredients way too much.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its more math than anything else, which is why I needed the books. I'm the sort of person who rarely brews anything more than twice. I like to experiment and try new ingredients way too much.
Well its chemistry, so yes, there's gonna be math. I'm OK with that

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Greg Noonan, "New Brewing Lager Beer"
There's a bit of microbiology and chem, but nothing too intense. It really gets into the nuts and bolts of exactly what is going on every step in the process. Good stuff if you want to start tinkering with the process side of your brewing, which can affect your beer almost as significantly as ingredient choices. It's probably the book that started me on the road to being a pro brewer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Greg Noonan, "New Brewing Lager Beer"
There's a bit of microbiology and chem, but nothing too intense. It really gets into the nuts and bolts of exactly what is going on every step in the process. Good stuff if you want to start tinkering with the process side of your brewing, which can affect your beer almost as significantly as ingredient choices. It's probably the book that started me on the road to being a pro brewer.
Cool thanks for the recommendation. I def wanna learn the chemistry of it, so i can learn/understand it, cuz I definitely wanna start tinkering :cheers: :thumb:

just a side q: is this book exclusive to cold fermentation (that's whats used for lagers right), or does it cover brew processes in general (ales included)?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Cool thanks for the recommendation. I def wanna learn the chemistry of it, so i can learn/understand it, cuz I definitely wanna start tinkering :cheers: :thumb:

just a side q: is this book exclusive to cold fermentation (that's whats used for lagers right), or does it cover brew processes in general (ales included)?
The book is applicable to ale brewing as well as lagers. It really gets in to detail on some pretty traditional lager techniques like decoction mashing, but it has an appendix on traditional ale infusion mashing. The micro/chem stuff applies to both even though the text may refer more to lagers than ales.

Lagers don't necessarily ferment cold, just cooler than ales. The word "lager" is derived from the German word for storage, in reference to the period of cold conditioning, or "lagering" that lagers typically go through. We do our ales in the mid 60s and our lagers in the low 50s. That's not to say that they won't ferment at other temperatures, just that they may not produce the flavors/aromas you're most interested in at other temps. There are lager yeasts that ferment cleanly in the mid 60s and we've accidentally had ale yeast slowly ferment to completion in the mid 50s.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cool, thanks for the info (and the etymology lesson).

And yea, I meant that lagers ferment cooler than ales, not cold ferment. I was a few brews deep when I posted that last night :cheers: