Quantcast

Home-made Hayes bleed kit

Ghost_rider

Chimp
Sep 13, 2003
Hi Everyone,

I work right beside a car/hardware/everything store and I'm going to pick up some dot 4 brake fluid for my hayes...Since i dont want to spend $50 for a Hayes bleeding kit, I'd like to know if anyone has ever built their own bleeding kit from parts at a such a store...

Thanks,
Matt

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by Ghost_rider
Hi Everyone,

I work right beside a car/hardware/everything store and I'm going to pick up some dot 4 brake fluid for my hayes...Since i dont want to spend $50 for a Hayes bleeding kit, I'd like to know if anyone has ever built their own bleeding kit from parts at a such a store...

Thanks,
Matt
All you need are a couple squeeze bottles, a few small pieces of hose, and a spring. Thats all the hayes kit is. The spring keeps the hose on the caliper, but im sure there are ways around needing that. Maybe someone can post a pic of the bleed kit so you know what to look for at home depot.....

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Matt

werd :thumb: get some 1/8 I.D. automotive hose (vacuum lines and such) go to a veterinary store and pick up a big syringe, get an old coke bottle, wrap some wire hanger around the neck to hang on your handlebar and you're set

linky for the pinky style brake bleed

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
Yeah, listen to Cooter, he knows what's what.

Get the Veterinarian Syringe and I just used mini zip ties in place of the crappy little spring Hayes included with the kit.

The syringe method works 100% better than the squeeze bottles Hayes sells. Just be careful and gently add fluid using the syringe. I've seen some popped out pistons from getting a little too vigorous on the plunger.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Matt
$50 :eek:

I must have gotten lucky, because I picked up a kit for $23 at my LBS.

blong

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
San Diego
i used a bicycle air horn. one of those ones you pump up with a pump and has a water bottle shape air resevoir. i yanked the horn off and i've got myself a pressure bleeder.