Quantcast

Home Securiity: Should I use a big cable or chain to lock up my bikes?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One of my buddies has just gotten a bike stolen, and this reminds me to lock up my bikes at home.

Should I use a large Kryptocable or a much heavier chain? BTW, I would only be able to lock my bikes to the display stand.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Ever seen the show It Takes a Thief?

The other night the thief managed to take several mountain bikes and accessories out of someone's locked garage. The show's solution was a chain bolted to the garage floor, which runs through all the bikes and then is closed with a beefy Kryptonite lock.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I used to have a large "eye bolt" that was bolted to a stud in the garage. I then ran a chain through all bikes and used a clam shell looking lock to secure it. You could cut through it, but it would be some work and someone would have to be well prepared.

I also have $35k of replacement insurance that covers all the house/garage items for just such a thing.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Chain.

I can cut through most any cable with a pair of Felcos in about...oh...10 seconds.

Edit: not the big cutters either, just the hand ones.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
new york chain.
One to lock the bikes together, one to lock them to a heavy inanimate object . no questions.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
id say really nice thick cable, with a pair of hydraulic bolt cutters you can cut a fair size chain easily, but cables cant be cut with these since the cables flexes rather than snapping like a chain and therefore wont cut

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
In most cases if someone has broken into your house they have all the time they need to break through most locks....D

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
though what would probably be cheapest and best is to set up an alarm system (separate from main system to where it doesnt alert police which costs an extra amount) and have it set up in your shed/garage, and anyone trying to break in hears this they will most likely run immediately whereas otherwise they would have all night to break a chain or cable, even so if u have this, still cable the bike/bikes up

~flawless plan~

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
though what would probably be cheapest and best is to set up an alarm system (separate from main system to where it doesnt alert police which costs an extra amount) and have it set up in your shed/garage, and anyone trying to break in hears this they will most likely run immediately whereas otherwise they would have all night to break a chain or cable, even so if u have this, still cable the bike/bikes up

~flawless plan~
Yeah I had a self contained alarm system at my last place...I simply had a ton of money in bikes and books in the garage...and my renters insurance required it.....D

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
In most cases if someone has broken into your house they have all the time they need to break through most locks....D
okay, thats true, but also quite myopic.

If I break into your house, unless there is some sort of crazy stash that I already know about, I'm going to grab the shiniest, most expensive gear and run. There is no reason to sit there for an extra 15min with a dremel or circular saw to get at a couple of bikes.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
id say really nice thick cable, with a pair of hydraulic bolt cutters you can cut a fair size chain easily, but cables cant be cut with these since the cables flexes rather than snapping like a chain and therefore wont cut
Just about ANY, and I mean ANY cable can be cut with a pair of Felco cable cutters. The small ones that you may have in say, a bike shop.

When I worked at a shop we would demonstrate to customers on an old length of thick "bike lock" cable. You can't cut right through it in one squeeze, it takes a bit of nibbling with the cutters. So instead of 1 second, it may take 10 to 20 seconds. If that. I cut a 3/8" cable in about 5 seconds once.

We would explain to people that a cable is only going to slow a thief down ever so slightly, and that's about it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
okay, thats true, but also quite myopic.

If I break into your house, unless there is some sort of crazy stash that I already know about, I'm going to grab the shiniest, most expensive gear and run. There is no reason to sit there for an extra 15min with a dremel or circular saw to get at a couple of bikes.
Battery powered sawzall and a pair of Felcos and all the bikes in the house are gone in 15 seconds, not 15 minutes.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Battery powered sawzall and a pair of Felcos and all the bikes in the house are gone in 15 seconds, not 15 minutes.

On a cable maybe, not on a hardened chain. If you don't believe me, ask the NYPD how long it takes them to seize chained bikes on the street.:busted: :busted: :busted:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

see that's my point...if some wants you bikes they're going ot get them...so why bother locking them up inside. Sometimes I need to move them or just want to take off in a hurry without having to unlock all my bikes just to take one and then re-lock all of them again....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
On a cable maybe, not on a hardened chain. If you don't believe me, ask the NYPD how long it takes them to seize chained bikes on the street.:busted: :busted: :busted:
well the NYPD aren't seasoned bike theives....any decent bike thief has all the tools needed to break just about any bike lock...D

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
well the NYPD aren't seasoned bike theives....any decent bike thief has all the tools needed to break just about any bike lock...D
Are you just a pessimist or do you actually know any of this? Should I remind you of where I live?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Are you just a pessimist or do you actually know any of this? Should I remind you of where I live?

well lets see I worked in the bike biz for over 10 years in San Francisco...more bike theft per capita than NY (at the time I don't know about now). I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. The only lock that I have seen unbroken was a homemade version by a local rider that weighed 25lbs.....but to date I have never had any of my bikes stolen in the last 20 years....D

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
well lets see I worked in the bike biz for over 10 years in San Francisco...more bike theft per capita than NY (at the time I don't know about now). I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. The only lock that I have seen unbroken was a homemade version by a local rider that weighed 25lbs.....but to date I have never had any of my bikes stolen in the last 20 years....D
In my fair city I know personally or know of many people who commute or work on their bikes. The only time you hear of a bike going missing from these people is if the Popo is involved or they did something silly like leave the key in the lock.

Please don't compare NYC to a west coast city in terms of population volume or density.

Consider this:
An example of the efficacy of the hardened steel chain is the money backed guarantee put forth by Krypto. This is a for-profit company and if their locks/chains failed consistently, the company would fail financially.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I don't think this is a foolproof system, but I want to make my bikes the most difficult items to steal from my apartment.
While a seasoned thief could steal everything, at least the idiot who kicks in a window won't be able to ride away.

I will definitely pony up the dough and get a hardened chain. I will also chain this to a heavy piece of furniture as well.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think these are the most relalible right now....D

I think my issue is length and cost. I believe a length of chain will be a lot cheaper than the hardware store instead of several NY Chains.

I have plenty of options for locking it on the street (usually a OnGuard Bulldog Mini and a 4 foot Kryptocable), but I was wondering what people did at home.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yeah...once my two rigs were jacked from my garage in broad daylight, I went out, got 2 very large, very thick eyebolts. Drilled and installed four 3" concrete anchors on each eyebolt into my garage foundation. Then put 3/8" padded galvanized chain around the new bikes with super primo locks. Hung a new side door on the garage too...1 5/8" solid core birch door...had to reinforce the door jamb and add two hinges to get it to sit right...they bust that door down, the entire garage is goin' with it....