Quantcast

Home Theatre Subwoofers

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
So I flipped on my home theatre last night to get 'er rumblin' for the new episode of "Lost" and when I did---bzzzzzt! **small flash of light from behind the subwoofer** Pop!!

Woah.......what just happened here? Upon inspection, it looks like a little mouse had made his home by getting access through the portal in the lower end of the woofer and got a little too cozy with some of the circutry---result: dead mouse, dead woofer. I replaced the blown fuse hoping that was what popped, but all it does is power up with no sound.....

The sub was a Definitive Technology 12'' powered unit. Great sub with plenty of bandwith control, and it worked great. I bought it from Now! Audio and Video---which was bought out by Tweeter company in the past year. Any warranty I had on it has long since expired, so I'm curious as to wether it would behoove me to cut my loss and get a new sub, or send this in to Tweeter to try and repair it. Not sure if what I'm going to pay in repair would be better suited towards a newer sub---what do you think the repair on such an item would run me?

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
that is not usually a good spot for a sub (in a cabinet). it can cause the sub to overheat, muffle the sound, cause weird standing waves, rattle the cabinet, etc.

Anyway, I would guess that you may be able to have it fixed for less than a new one, since those are higher end subs - sounds like it needs a new motherboard or whatever - unless it popped the speaker when the circuitry went?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Depending on what's blown and what you spend on the sub. If they don't charge you for the estimate, it's worth a look.

When I worked in car stereos (way too long ago), customers would bring in blown amps asking if we did repairs, when they found out we didn't, they would often buy a new one and leave the blown one for disposal.

There was a local shop that did repairs and most repairs were less than $50 and the estimate and torubleshooting was free. When your talking about a $1000 Zapco amp, a $50 repair was well worth it to me. For some, a new unit was just easier.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
MtnBikerNJ said:
that is not usually a good spot for a sub (in a cabinet). it can cause the sub to overheat, muffle the sound, cause weird standing waves, rattle the cabinet, etc.

Anyway, I would guess that you may be able to have it fixed for less than a new one, since those are higher end subs - sounds like it needs a new motherboard or whatever - unless it popped the speaker when the circuitry went?
Thanks! ....Naaah, I wouldn't mount it in a cabinet or anything. The weak link in its design was the portal location that allowed the little mouse access so easily. I just had no idea I had a mouse in the house(hey, that rhymed) or I would have put some screen over the hole or something. Reason I asked was that the circutry and 90% of the wiring is all silicone-sealed, so the average Joe can't really get their hands into the product without some professional know-how. I just thought I would throw this out there in case any monkeys were knowledgable on the speaker repair process and how involved this service might be with this brand. They are definately high-end speakers, so I'm kinda thinking that I could get away with a speaker switch----which kinda seems like where the problem lies. I dunno. Please chime in if you have any more ideas.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I think when he said cabinet, he was referring to the enclosure. I would bet that the woofer is still in working condition, but the crossover network or the amplifier outputs are what fried. The mouse probably chewed through some of the wires when it was powered down and exposed them. When you powered it up, it shorted.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
sounds like the best way to go is to get a new one the mouse most likely didn't damage the speaker itself (just guessing since I can't see it) but damaged the amp by shorting out the speaker leads.
just so you know most home theater subs are a ported design so if you still have mouse problems you might want to get wire mesh to put over the port since they can chew through fabric.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Brian HCM#1 said:
Get one of these babies!!!!! I have one and they are unreal for it's size!!!!

Christ, man.....the price!!! Woah, baby!!!

I've heard one of those myself---at a friends house. Stunning response for such a small enclosure.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Greyhound said:
Christ, man.....the price!!! Woah, baby!!!

I've heard one of those myself---at a friends house. Stunning response for such a small enclosure.
They are really amazing, the enclosure size is definitely wife friendly:thumb: