Quantcast

Home....with a tan!!!!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
:D Just got back from vacation....the Nevada sunshine did me good for two weeks ;) and I don't go back to work till Monday.

Anyways - after two weeks of rock climbing, I don't even know what my bike looks like any more (I'm not home home, up in Canadia for a few days to relax and pick my cat up and stuff), much less how to navigate some grains of dirt...

So...who's up for some pedaling fun next week after work? St.Ed's? JG (could be some muddy slippery fun)? SST? Worm?

Lemme know!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Jr_Bullit said:
:D Just got back from vacation....the Nevada sunshine did me good for two weeks ;) and I don't go back to work till Monday.

Anyways - after two weeks of rock climbing, I don't even know what my bike looks like any more (I'm not home home, up in Canadia for a few days to relax and pick my cat up and stuff), much less how to navigate some grains of dirt...

So...who's up for some pedaling fun next week after work? St.Ed's? JG (could be some muddy slippery fun)? SST? Worm?

Lemme know!
Welcome home there Missy! Glad you had a great time :)

Next week the weather is suppose to be nice and dry so riding will be a must! :thumb: Lemme know when you are back in the states and we'll get the ball rolling on some must needed rides!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
:D Of course there's pics...I'll post a few later this evening when I'm on my laptop. I've shrunk a couple down to postable size, just haven't done anything with them yet.

I'll be home Sunday afternoon/evening sometime. Gotta get the cat (who's noticeably skittery after her two week vacation) settled, laundry done, and apt heated/aired out.

I'm game for riding on Tues/Weds/Thurs next week. One of those days needs to be in the southend for a ride that starts no later than 4pm. I need to go visit the parental figures and share with them the volume of photos. :D

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Alrighty.... Pics per request ;). I'm not posting many, and these are mainly just me. I don't like to post tons of pics of steve without his explicit consent for each one...just a privacy thing...I'm sure y'all understand that :D

1) Me bouldering in tennis shoes in this fun little canyon we found. The sky is blown out, but picture if you can the most vivid teal blue, above brick-red rock that is extremely featured...as if someone took a container of red clay and poured it and it solidified before it ever reached the ground...

2) Me on Technicolor Sunrise, at the Magic Bus crag. I'm top roping the route, learning the moves to try my very first lead. I redpointed this route on my first lead attempt ever, second time on the climb. Totally awesome holds, fun for the feet, and I found the crux quite simple. Other than the nervousness caused by hauling my own rope up by the waist, I did well. BTW - the nervousness on this route caused me to repeatedly bump my head as I stepped up, because I kept looking down to be absolutely sure my feet were on. Shortly after I redpointed this route, I on-sight redpointed the 5.8 nextdoor, Neon Sunset! Was a very good day.

3) For those of you that climb, I'm sure you remember the easy routes always being slabs...and hating slabs...at least that's me. I never trust placing my toes on these sloping edges with no hand holds. The day before I lead my first routes at the magic bus, Steve took me to the Ultraman wall, for the Ultraman slab - a 5.8 that was a 110' long. Yep, that's right, 70 meter rope required to rappel down afterwards. As we left the crag, I glanced back and saw the moon rising above Red Rocks. Another team of climbers that we'd chatted with a bit, was still working on rappelling down from the climb. The picture is stunning in full...I hope the attached tiny version does it some justice...

4 & 5) These pics are of Steve on one of his goal routes, something he'd left unfinished on his last visit to Red Rocks 5 years ago. Where the downboys go, 12D. The pics are of his redpoint climb. The first pic is of the crux move, which we call the disco move, remeniscent of Travolta. To get an idea of how difficult it is, take your first and second fingers on your left hand and point them out like you're travolta on the dance floor. Raise it high over your head, and turn your arm 90 degrees. Now, imagine, those two fingers jammed in a tiny crack between one rock flake and the cliff...and you have to pull all your body weight off of it. Pretty intense! The second pick is shortly after completing the crux move, which is almost a rest...Steve was able to chalk off of it.

We have tons and tons of pics from the trip...and now that I've learned to lead climb, I just want to keep on... :D Today I've been chuckling as my fingertips are all peeling ...the thicker layer of skin I developed while climbing the past two weeks is already coming off...

Anywho, hope you all enjoyed the pics :D.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Crazy! How high was Steve up in the last two shots? The blues sky make me miss the summer!

Oh, how 'bout a down sout ride on Tuesday? I'll meet you at the Worm at 4pm?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
word. i miss climbing. i dont think my\ arm will ever let me get back to the level i was at though (v7-v8 bouldering)but i still love to shoot climbing photos. Looks like you had a blast. welcome back.

edit:i love me some slabs. sketchy scary run out slabs.yummy.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Nice J_B. Yep, that worked - now I'm jealous. I haven't climbed in sooo long. Started getting back into it and wouldn't you know it, I break my collarbone. So, that was your first lead - what was the rating? Like a 5.8 or something?

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Snacks said:
Crazy! How high was Steve up in the last two shots? The blues sky make me miss the summer!

Oh, how 'bout a down sout ride on Tuesday? I'll meet you at the Worm at 4pm?
The climb "Where the Down Boys Go" isn't super high, but very very overhanging. I believe it was about a 45' climb, but when I lowered him from the top of the climb back down to the ground, he was about 15' behind me, and I was standing about 15' feet out from the base of the climb when belaying.

Tuesday at 4 - got it on the calendar! :D I'll take my stuff to work, and leave straight from there at 3.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
biggins said:
word. i miss climbing. i dont think my\ arm will ever let me get back to the level i was at though (v7-v8 bouldering)but i still love to shoot climbing photos. Looks like you had a blast. welcome back.

edit:i love me some slabs. sketchy scary run out slabs.yummy.
I'm not much of a boulderer yet, V0 and V1 still have my number big time. Sucks about the arm, I remember you posting some neat pics sometime last year.

Steve loves slabs too...I guess it's something you learn to love. I was checking out some pics of the Wall of Mirrors...I think it's in Yosemite? Looks insane!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Five said:
Nice J_B. Yep, that worked - now I'm jealous. I haven't climbed in sooo long. Started getting back into it and wouldn't you know it, I break my collarbone. So, that was your first lead - what was the rating? Like a 5.8 or something?

Ya, my first lead was on a 5.8 vertical climb (slabby still for you experienced folks, but mostly vertical). The top out on all the climbs in this area were very slabby, so you were on your feet entirely. So far I enjoy the vertical climbs the most, with fun jugs or crimpers or cracks for fingers...

moondog

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Ballard, WA
Jr_Bullit said:
I'm not much of a boulderer yet, V0 and V1 still have my number big time. Sucks about the arm, I remember you posting some neat pics sometime last year.

Steve loves slabs too...I guess it's something you learn to love. I was checking out some pics of the Wall of Mirrors...I think it's in Yosemite? Looks insane!
Some might say you have to be a little demented to love slabs, but I've always had a place in my :heart: for them. One of my favs was Bolt Run 5.10d in Donner Summit, CA. It's fairly short and well protected, but I also enjoyed long, runout, scary ones too.