Quantcast

Homebrewers share your recipes

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I just got back from the brewer's supply store and thought I'd share my latest brew with the rest of you homebrewers. Let me know what you think.

Ex-girlfriend IPA (IIPA) - All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal
Wort Size: 6.5 gal
Total Grain 16.50 lbs
Anticipated OG: 1.093
Plato: 22.04
Anticipated SRM: 8.2
Anticipated IBU: 124.1
System Efficiency: 75%
Wort Boil Time: 90 min

GRAIN:
14.50 lbs Pale Malt
1.50 lbs Crystal 10L
.50 lbs Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt

HOPS:
1.50 oz Chinook @ 60 min
.50 oz Chinook @ 50 min
1 oz Columbus @ 40 min
1 oz Galena @ 30 min
1 oz Centennial @ 15 min
2 oz Centennial @ 5 min

YEAST:
White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Sounds good. I'll be interested to hear how that yeast works in an IIPA. My experience with the English yeasts has been that they tend to produce quite a bit of fruity esters, something usually not very prominent in an IPA. Of course, the extra hops and higher abv of the imperial may work with it.

The last batch I did was a maibock...sort of. Like Rogue Dead Guy Ale, it's hopped a bit higher and fermented cool with an ale yeast instead of a lager yeast. It's really good as is, but I may add a bit of Munich malt next time around.

I also used a late extract addition which gets a bit more out of the hops than a traditional extract brew session. IBUs calculate out to about 42, but taste a bit higher.

DGC
5 gallons (3 gallon boil)

8 lb. Alexander’s Pale LME
1 lb. Gambrinus Honey malt
1 lb. Muntons Carapils malt
13.1 AAU Galena hop pellets - bittering (45 mins)
7.7 AAU Perle hop pellets - bittering (45 mins)
3.7 AAU Saaz hop pellets - flavor (15 mins)
3.7 AAU Saaz hop pellets - aroma (knockout)
Wyeast 1764 - Rogue Pac Man liquid yeast
1 tsp Irish Moss

Starter: 3 oz of DME boiled in 3 cups of water, cooled to 75̊. Poured in to a sanitized 1-litre bottle, added yeast, and affixed ferm-lock. Allowed to work overnight prior to pitching.

Add cracked grains to 1.5 gallons of 160̊ F water. Hold the water and grains at 155̊ F for 20 minutes. In the meantime, bring another pot of water (1.5 gallons) to 165̊ F. Remove the grain bag from pot #1 after 20 minutes and rinse it in the second pot. Once rinsed, remove the grains and add the contents of pot #2 to pot #1. Top off to 3 gallons and bring to a boil. Add bittering hop addition at beginning of boil. Boil for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add extract, stirring until dissolved. Return to heat and boil for 15 minutes, adding flavor hops, yeast nutrient, and Irish Moss only once the boil resumes . After 15 minutes turn off the heat, stir in aroma hops & proceed to cool wort. Cool to 75̊, adjust volume to 5 gallons, aerate, and pitch yeast.

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.019

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I would really like to try brewing my own, but I'm lazy. Is it really difficult and what would I be looking at money-wise to start up?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Brewing is as simple as boiling water and following a schedule, but after that point you have to be certain that EVERYTHING that your beer comes in contact with is sterile or sanitized, clean isn't enough.

You can buy starter kits from all sorts of internet suppliers and local homebrew shops. One good place for gear I've found is www.northernbrewer.com. If you can find a local shop please give them your business, they will repay you in immeasurable amounts with advice, tips, help, and of course taste testing ;). They are also in the business usually because they have a passion for homebrewing, they're not getting rich doing it. Spend the extra money up front and get a glass starter kit. The plastic scratches too easily and can lead to contamination from hidden bacteria and wild yeasts. You'll want to start out with extract brewing instead of partial or all grain. All grain adds a lot of work that may put off a first time brewer. I also HIGHLY recommend a book called "The Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian. He's well known and respected in the homebrewing scene and his books are widely read and readily available. Now, before this turns into a book of it's own, back to the recipes...who's next?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm a brewing newbie as well. keeping it simple with partial grain recipies. it's been fun so far. i think i could get into this...

my first batch (recieved with the hardware as a gift) was a pale ale, which turned out surprisingly decent for a first attempt:

8lb pale malt extract
4 oz wheat malt 8 oz British crystal malt
9.4 AAU Cascade/Goldings (60/40) 60 minutes
1 oz Goldings/Cascade (66/33) finishing
ale yeast

my second batch (a strong porter) is in the primary right now:

10 lb pale malt extract
9 oz British crystal
12 oz Black Patent
14 AAU bittering hop (60 minutes)
ale yeast

to the experienced brewers: how difficult is the transition to all grain?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I'm getting ready to do my first all grain, I just need to get my hands on a mash tun and lauder tun from my brewing buddies and I should be good to go. I'll let you know how difficult it was for me after I'm done, but watching them do an all grain last time we brewed together it's not that complex, it just adds a lot more gear and time to the process. I figure the time I spend waiting for the mash I can bottle my last batch finally (it was supposed to be ready for Christmas, I brewed the week before Thanksgiving and it's been sitting in secondary fermentation for about 2 months now).

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
to the experienced brewers: how difficult is the transition to all grain?
I don't think any of it's difficult. It is more time consuming, but only as much as you let it be. I see you used wheat malt in your recipe. I assume you had it in a couple of quarts of water and held it at a certain temperature for some amount of time, right? That's a mash. All-grain brewing just uses a lot more grain. Even the equipment is only as involved as you want it to be. Riderx brews all-grain and makes a great porter. If I recall correctly, he's mashing in a plastic bucket that many kits use as a fermenter.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Did you do it all-grain? Did you hit your anticipated OG? How long did the brew take from mash to fermenter?

I've finally cobbled together an all-grain system...just waiting on my kettle and sparge-arm to arrive. My first brew with the new gear is going to be a porter.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Yup, all grain, slightly above my anticipated OG (I hit 1.097!) and from mash-in to fermenter was ~3.5 hours. I loaded up the recipe into Promash and with the actual alpha content of the hops and all the particulars from brew day, this is going to be some serious head wrecking brew (or hop juice...). Hopefully we'll pull in upper 10% to lower 11% abv to try and balance out what's looking like almost 190 IBU.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Now on deck:

Shark Attack (California Common) - All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal
Total Grain 10.00 lbs
Anticipated OG: 1.053
Plato: 13.09
Anticipated SRM: 10.9
Anticipated IBU: 35.2
System Efficiency: 75%
Wort Boil Time: 60 min

GRAIN:
5.00 lbs Pale Malt (2-row)
4.00 lbs Crystal 20L
1.00 lbs Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt

HOPS:
1 oz Fuggle @ 45 min
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 15 min
1 oz Czech Saaz @ 5 min

YEAST:
WYeast #2112 California Lager

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Sounds nice. Are you going to be able to ferment cold enough to let the lager yeast do it's thing? They typically like it in the 50's - even colder for the secondary, low 40s, upper 30's. I've started the search for a cheap chest freezer to use for lagering. A friend has had great success with one hooked up to an external temperature controller.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Tomorrow is my first all-grain brew. Wish me luck.

Brown Porter

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
10.0 oz Chocolate Malt
8.0 oz Crystal Malt - 60L
6.0 oz Munich Malt
2.0 oz Roasted Barley
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (knockout) Hops
London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 25.0 IBU

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Sounds tasty, good luck, have fun!

I've got a marathon session coming up at the end of the month...
Three of us are going to attempt to get through 6 all grain 5 gallon batches in one session. I've got two recipes, one of the other guys has three and the third has one. We've got two grain setups, three propane burners with kettles, and my living room has so much glass in it now you'd think it was a laboratory.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Sounds nice. Are you going to be able to ferment cold enough to let the lager yeast do it's thing? They typically like it in the 50's - even colder for the secondary, low 40s, upper 30's. I've started the search for a cheap chest freezer to use for lagering. A friend has had great success with one hooked up to an external temperature controller.
That's the neat thing about California Common, it's fermented with lager yeast at ale temperatures.

My other batch for the next session though is a Pre-Prohibition Lager and we've got a temp controller to put on my beer fridge in the basement. We've measured it up and we will be able to get two 6 gallon carboys in there for lagering. Our yeast profiles are within 1 degree of each other so we're set in that regard as well.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Well, the first all-grain brew went well. I undershot my mash temperature (154F) by 4 degrees and had to compensate with some boiling water additions, but otherwise, no problems.

The estimated OG above was based on a somewhat low assumed brewhouse efficiency. I actually came in at 1.062, or 80% efficiency. I was told to expect much lower for my first time so I'm pretty happy with that.

From prep to clean-up took 7 hours. Mash was an hour, sparge was about 45 minutes, and boil was 60 minutes. A good bit of time was spent waiting for my strike water to come to temperature and for my wort to boil. The immersion chiller I made is awesome. From boil to 75F in about 10-15 minutes!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
We did our massive brew session two weeks ago, we brewed 5 all grain 5 gallon batches, craziness... Pictures here We brewed a Pilsner, an Oktoberfest, a California Common, a Belgian Strong Ale and an experimental ale based on a Saison.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Damn, that's a lot of beer!
Yeah, we'll have stuff ready in 3 weeks, more in 5 weeks, then one in 3 months and one in 6 months. We'll probably put more together at each of those bottlings/keggings as well. I think my wife has given in to the reality of our house becoming a brewery.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm ready to go again! Just picked up a 55K BTU burner since our home's stove has trouble boiling a couple quarts in less than 20 minutes...can't imagine how long it would take to bring 6 gallons of wort to boil. Also picked up a temp. controller for the fridge in the basement. I'll finally be able to dial in a fementation temp. and hold it within a degree or two. :thumb:

At bat: Maibock
On deck: Flanders Red
In the hole: Saison, Tripel, Munich Helles

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
We were back at it this past weekend. I knocked down a Bourbon Barrel Porter kit and an Irish Red of my own creation that I hope is similar to the defunct Magic Hat Humble Patience. My brewing partner did a Belgian Wit and an Autumn Seasonal with blueberry syrup and cinnamon. At this point we're running strictly all-grain when we brew, the control you have over the final product, especially color, is much better.

In the meantime I've also served my first Pilsner at Monkeyfest along with the last few bottles of my IIPA and both were massive hits. I've just kegged a Scottish Ale and I have a second slightly different Pilsner in my lager fridge right now.

I never did get to try the California Common I brewed, it developed a mold infection and I tossed it.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Here's my Irish Red recipe:

6 lb Rahr 2-Row Pale
1 lb Briess Carapils
2 lb Simpsons Medium Crystal
0.125 lb Simpsons Chocolate
0.125 lb Simpsons Roasted Barley

Cascade Pellets 1 oz. @ 30 min
Warrior Hop Pellets 1 oz @ 10 min

Wyeast London Ale

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I never did get to try the California Common I brewed, it developed a mold infection and I tossed it.
Same happened to my maibock. First brew in the new house and I wasn't as careful as I should have been. The funny thing is, the Flanders Red that's sitting in the corner looks the same as the maibock did when I threw it out, only it's intentional. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of the pellicle, it's funky.

Besides the red, I've got a tripel bottled and conditioning, and a Munich dunkel lagering in the fridge. I went with a dunkel instead of the planned helles because I was given 15 lbs of Durst Munich malt by the brewmaster at the Weeping Radish and wanted to brew with ingredients on-hand instead of making another run to the HBS. As soon as the lager is done, next up is a kolsch for my sister's wedding.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): TBD
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 75.68 %
2 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 21.62 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
2.00 oz Tettnang [3.20 %] (60 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [3.20 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) Yeast-Lager - pitched 1.5 qt starter

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Measured Final Gravity: TBD
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.15 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: TBD
Bitterness: 20.8 IBU
Est Color: 16.6 SRM

Mash Profile

60 min Mash In: 11.56 qt of water - Mash temp:154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 4.50 qt of water - Mash temp: 168.0 F

45 minute sparge

Carbonation
Volumes of CO2: 2.4

primary: 6 days @ 50 F
diactyl rest: 58 F, 2 days
racked to secondary, reduced temp. in 3-5 F increments to 38 F, lager for 4 weeks

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Here's my latest original recipe:

Maibock

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

05-A Bock, Maibock/Helles Bock

Min OG: 1.064 Max OG: 1.072
Min IBU: 23 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 11 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.00
Anticipated OG: 1.071 Plato: 17.31
Anticipated SRM: 6.3
Anticipated IBU: 35.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
46.2 6.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
7.7 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
23.1 3.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
23.1 3.00 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Spalter Select Pellet 5.00 3.7 5 min.
1.00 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4.75 21.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Tettnanger Tettnang Pellet 4.50 10.2 30 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP920 Old Bavarian Lager

Heading down to the brewer's supply this afternoon.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Sounds good. My dunkel turned out pretty good, but I think I'll cut back on the munich malt next time around. It's a bit to caramel-ly.

The kolsch I did is awesome! I brewed it to appease the expected coors-light crowd at my sister's wedding, but it would be an awesome summer brew.

For a 5 gallon batch:
93% Pilsner Malt
5.5% Wheat Malt
1.5% Munich Malt
Hallertauer hops(60 min) 21.1 IBU
Hallertauer hops(5 min) 1.4 IBU
WLP029 Yeast

Mash: 149F, 70 min
Mash out: 168F, 10 min

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.011

Fermentation:
10 days, 65F
25 days, 35F

Carbonated to 2.5 volumes

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Any barley wine fans?

I'm brewing this on leap-year day, Feb. 29. The plan is to let it age until next leap year, but we'll see how it plays out.

For a 5 gallon batch:
20 lbs Maris Otter Pale malt
9.5 oz caramunich malt (60L)
9.5 oz crystal malt (120L)
Target hops (60 mins) ~52 IBU
EK Goldings hops (20 mins) ~3.5 IBU
EK Goldings hops (0 mins) 0.5 oz
WLP013 yeast (London Ale)

Mash:150F, 75 mins
Mash out: 168F, 10 mins

Boil: 90 mins

Est OG: 1.100
Est FG: 1.022
Est color: 14.1 SRM

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I still only do extract but I am going to enter this into the Sam Adams brew off. It is the first recipe I made and it brewed up really nice. Very bitter and floral characters. Although not quite as bitter a the Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA

6# Liquid Malt Extract
1# Amber Dry Malt Extract
1# 50-60L English Crystal

15g Coopers Dry Yeast

2oz 8.4% Amarillo Hop Pellets @ 60 min
1oz 9.5% Centennial Hop Pellets @ 30 min
1oz 9.5% Centennial Hop Pellets @ 5 min

3 Gallon Boil Volume
Boil time 60 min

1. Started yeast prior to boil
2. Steeped crystal @ 160 for 20min
3. Brought to rolling boil took off heat and stirred in LME
4. Brought back to boil and added 2oz Amarillo Hops
5. Take off boil and add Amber DME @ 45 min
6. Add 1oz of Centennial Hops @ 30 min
7. Add 1oz of Centennial Hops @5 min
8. Cover and let cool for 20 min

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Off the cuff Pilsener

7lb Pilsener Malt
1lb Munich Malt
2lb Flaked Maize
----------------------------------
1oz Hallertau 60min
1oz Saaz 30min
----------------------------------
White labs #840 American Lager yeast

I pulled this one out of the air while I was at the homebrew shop last week. I'll be brewing it this weekend.