Quantcast

homemade downhill bike

mongoose2231

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
i built a downhill rig and i just finished it. i posted sketches on pinkbike. some of you lurking here may have seen it. i just finished it and wil be trying it out tomorrow at diablo. specs are the same as all high end bikes except for rear wheel travel. the bike gets 11.7"
it's a bit heavy since it's just a prototype built from scrap in our yard but i think it's going to be better than my mc shockwave.
there is a cad drawing i'm attaching and a sloppy cell phone picture also.
check it out

Attachments

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
holy crap that is cool. definitely check back in after your first ride. I wish I'd be there to check it out in person.

mongoose2231

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
ok, i rode the bike on saturday for three runs only because my chain kept coming off. unfortunately i paid for express shipping and never got it in time for my saturday ride. however, aside from that the bike felt awesome. i traded with my friend, i took his rm7 and he rode my new homemade. he was amazed at how fast the bike was and how well it handled. i couldn't have had any better expectations. as far as specs and components, i have an 888 in front , hayes brakes, race face cranks w truvativ giga pipe bb, and xt derailleur. the bike performed flawlessly and i love the "no noise" nonsense. turns out the bike is god damn quiet. i think i'll stick with steel for now. i am considering aluminum though. i think i may as well start churning out some more. i will ride it again on saturday to come, to fully test this thing. hopefully i'll have my chain guide by then.
anyone who wishes to ride it is more than wellcome.
let me know what you all think

mongoose2231

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
oh, and it took me about one week all hours of work put together. i just don't have too much time cause of work.

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007
dude you're a hot *hit. period. glad to hear it rode so well. keep the reviews coming.

mongoose2231

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
we have the industrial millers for day to day fabrication of hoist ties etc, and mettal thickness is about 1/16".

mongoose2231

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
i've actually thought about how to run the chain around the pivoting point of the swingarm, to eliminate pedal feedback, although i haven't felt any; so i'll be working on that starting next week.
see u all tomorrow at diablo