Quantcast

Honda bike price tag!!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Transcend said:
Honda isn't retarded. They will not release a $9000 pedal bike.
Bingo! I actually spoke with one of Honda's Reps at last year's national in Big Bear about the bike. Basically, we were told that they didn't really have any plans to produce the bike, rather they are using DH racing to gather data for their dirt bikes...

I wouldn't expect to see this bike for sale anytime soon...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
blt2ride said:
Bingo! I actually spoke with one of Honda's Reps at last year's national in Big Bear about the bike. Basically, we were told that they didn't really have any plans to produce the bike, rather they are using DH racing to gather data for their dirt bikes...

I wouldn't expect to see this bike for sale anytime soon...
That was the original story. Honda has since changed their tune. This comes directly from Honda JP, who have stated they do plan on producing it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I think something in the neighborhood of 5k for a complete and maybe 3k for a frame kit (if that's even possible considering their partnership with Showa) would be reasonable...

Would be a shame if they decided to force their customers into buying what they dictate like Shimano does. Can't use Saint hubs without using Saint rotors, etc. That pisses a lot of people off, which is why many are seeking out SRAM to spec on their bikes for next year.

If Honda could make a frame only kit with out a Showa fork hanging off it, that would definitely open up their potential customer base tremendously.

Hmmmmm... a Marzocchi 888RC 200mm on a Honda RN01... awesome.

:drool:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
ChrisKring said:
Did you DH bike fall out of the back of your truck or something? You must only weight 150 pounds. :)

Snapped DHI swingarms don't count toward your "bender score". And for god's sake, you used to be a paid mechanic. True the rims and fix the brakes. :)

I agree though, if I looked at $/hour of riding, my MX bike (YZ250F) is a bargain compared to any DH bike. That said, they are similar but different and both fun.
Rattled around in a race trailer for 2 years...147lbs soaking wet, True on the dhi swingarm, as for the tuning, dont you know a mechanics bike is always the roachiest! :p

Anyway, at the Dirt Demo my former employer got a call from same guys who build my former employers bikes in taiwan, secret source said they got an order for 1500 honda frames, with gearbox assembly in japan-frame made in taiwan. Someone posted this last winter from my info.

I am thinking it was all BS now because the bikes would have been done and in shops by now.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
stiksandstones said:

Anyway, at the Dirt Demo my former employer got a call from same guys who build my former employers bikes in taiwan, secret source said they got an order for 1500 honda frames, with gearbox assembly in japan-frame made in taiwan. Someone posted this last winter from my info.

I am thinking it was all BS now because the bikes would have been done and in shops by now.
well...depends on how long it takes them to develop the production tooling, equip a new assembly line for production and set up the supply chain. Not to mention, scheduling and delivery. Considering the only frames currently available are handmade ones, there isn't really a stock bike to work off of yet?
Plus, they're not like GT, Schwinn, Specialized, where if it comes to market, it just gets sold by their reps worldwide, orders taken and then dropped off in their current dealers....even if the bikes were already built...
Who's gonna take the orders?
Who's gonna sell 'em?
What type of store or dealer is going to be carrying them?

I would think that is going to be the biggest hold up is the supply and sales chain, not the manufacturing portion.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
:)
bizutch said:
well...depends on how long it takes them to develop the production tooling, equip a new assembly line for production and set up the supply chain. Not to mention, scheduling and delivery. Considering the only frames currently available are handmade ones, there isn't really a stock bike to work off of yet?
Plus, they're not like GT, Schwinn, Specialized, where if it comes to market, it just gets sold by their reps worldwide, orders taken and then dropped off in their current dealers....even if the bikes were already built...
Who's gonna take the orders?
Who's gonna sell 'em?
What type of store or dealer is going to be carrying them?

I would think that is going to be the biggest hold up is the supply and sales chain, not the manufacturing portion.

is there an echo in here :think: ... It is my guess that these things will HAVE to go through high end bicycle shops. Honda is going to have to have some excellent rep/training/cust support with them though...

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
ok a while back i saw a pict on a japan site of the honda bike production model it looks similar to this but i can remember clearly it has some spec stuff but no price my guess is 7 us cause i would say take the price of a top end dh bike and add 1000

heres a link to what i think the production looks like but i dont read japanese that well

http://www.honda.co.jp/MTB-W/race2005/formation/machine-rn01/

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Maybe you'll be able to pick one up next to a Ridgeline at a Honda dealership. $9k ain't nuthin' when you can finance it for 60 months at 2.9% APR. Hell, maybe you'll be able to lease the f*cker. Turn it in and pick up a civic when the flexy looking swingarm breaks (because it's not coated in protective rootbeer paint) and you bust a collarbone.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Jeremy R said:
Man, the only thing appealing to me about that frame at all is the fact that you cannot smash derailleurs, but other than it looks like a giant eye-sore.
And if it did not have Honda written on the side, alot more people would be agreeing with me. ;)
I agree with you its pretty ugly and unclean along the lines, but there is really something striking about it. It looks so racer and moto like to me that it makes me want it.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
whenever this thing does come out there will probably be somthing better. and it will most likely be an expensive frame. so you get a frame and a derailuer in a can. big deal. you can get any good DH frame and a rohloff hub for what this frame will cost. plus who will distribute a frame that they don't know how to work on?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
stiksandstones said:
DH bike, needs to be torn down every 5 runs.
Depends on your riding style and what parts you build it with.

If your riding a full light weight DH race bike then maybe, but then again don't you think a pro level MX bike would be pulled down every race as well? These things are far from stock and are lightened everywhere, just like a race DH bike.

My turner has been going strong the past year and i have had minimal problems. 1 folded wheel. But i build it with parts that won't break, just like they build off the shelf MX bikes.

You should compare apples with apples.

vallEbikes

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
amherst mass
bballe336 said:
whenever this thing does come out there will probably be somthing better. and it will most likely be an expensive frame. so you get a frame and a derailuer in a can. big deal. you can get any good DH frame and a rohloff hub for what this frame will cost. plus who will distribute a frame that they don't know how to work on?
eli a couple days ago you were so excited that they were releasing this frame you nearly pissed your pants, and now you dont think its cool at all? :think:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I don't think it's a question so much of whether Americans will pay the big bucks for it but whether the Japanese will. The Japanese do love their bling and a high end DH bike made by a Japanese manufacturer will sell like hot-cakes here.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
well, I'll wait and laugh when your all riding that crappy RN01 and I'll have the new RN03 in 2008, its belt driven. Come on, that thing creaked real bad the last time I saw it. 10K= alot of derailers

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
vallEbikes said:
eli a couple days ago you were so excited that they were releasing this frame you nearly pissed your pants, and now you dont think its cool at all? :think:
you piss yourself everytime someone says dangerboy. get off my nuts.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
stiksandstones said:
I ride my crf250R till my arms fall off, in the desert on a track, whatever. All I have put in it was oil and filters and gas. My DH bike has maybe 25 runs on it, bent rims, snapped swingarm, brakes rub, cranks are bent and the suspension needs to be redone.
I've had the opposite experience. I've spent a lot more $ keeping my Desert MX bike running, in top condition, over the last season than I ever did on one of my DH race bikes. If I crashed my MX bike as hard as I have my DH bike (flipping end over end down a mountain) the damage would be very expensive, if not totalled. Also remember that if you get into serious MX or Dez racing you can easily spend a few times the cost of the original bike making and keeping it competitive, where as the DH bike we have Chris Van Dine racing is the same one I'd sell to any customer with no upgrades required.

I love to ride both, but if I had to choose MX or MTB it would be MTB.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
go-ride.com said:
I've had the opposite experience. I've spent a lot more $ keeping my Desert MX bike running, in top condition, over the last season than I ever did on one of my DH race bikes. If I crashed my MX bike as hard as I have my DH bike (flipping end over end down a mountain) the damage would be very expensive, if not totalled. Also remember that if you get into serious MX or Dez racing you can easily spend a few times the cost of the original bike making and keeping it competitive, where as the DH bike we have Chris Van Dine racing is the same one I'd sell to any customer with no upgrades required.

I love to ride both, but if I had to choose MX or MTB it would be MTB.
sand is the most abrasive and brutal substance known to moving parts too...eats motorized stuff alive...put the same # of miles in desert sand on a DH bike that you do your MX bike and see how long it lasts. :devil:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
you guys got it all wrong, because with the 11 k price tag, it comes with you own personal Minaar
no no no youve got it all wrong. it comes with a set of pre assemble asian people. cause for that thing to get put into production that is what its going to take for an average person or a monkey to keep that damn gearbox they got on that thing running and keeping it in good enough shape to race. :nopity: :nuts:

kellybike

Chimp
Mar 12, 2005
NorCal
There is no way in HELL that this is SANE. It is a BICYCLE for all that is wholly. If there is anyone that thinks this price is OKAY, you are really missing the point.
I ride big DH because because it is, or was a cheap alternative to motor-cross racing, now it is close to surpassing that price... do I have to find another sport?
Golf sucks
Go carts are looking pretty cool