Quantcast

Honda RN01 frameset

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
For a mere $10K you to could own one.

Interesting though, I would like to see how well it sells, and what they will be asking for it. Too rich for my blood I bet.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i could see it being the best selling bike for the privateer, depending on cost. even still most of the high end frames retail for 3k so asking 4-5k for a bike that come with an internal gearbox and showa shock seems like a deal.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I could see it selling really well if it came in around 4-5k. Much beyond that and there isn't enough of an improvement to justify the cost. Plus, a lahar is a very similar bike...and that comes in around $3500 in the US.

Retardlessly, I look forward to seeing it if/when it comes out...been one of my favorite chassis for quite some time.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
according the the experts on this site you will read the following complaints: the bottom bracket is too low, it might be okay with flat pedals but clipless will make you ride bowlegged, it'll suck without a floater, the gear box isn't service free forever, the chain will have to be lubed, the fork bushings will wear out, the frame isn't self-polishing, the showa shock is okay but it would be better if it was Pushed, and it looks flexy . . . .

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
according the the experts on this site you will read the following complaints: the bottom bracket is too low, it might be okay with flat pedals but clipless will make you ride bowlegged, it'll suck without a floater, the gear box isn't service free forever, the chain will have to be lubed, the fork bushings will wear out, the frame isn't self-polishing, the showa shock is okay but it would be better if it was Pushed, and it looks flexy . . . .
omfg.... roflcopter...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...you forgot complaint #11: "...it won't come in "Rootbeer"

:biggrin:

Wow - that's pretty cool.

SO... if the thieves who stole the Team bikes back in 05' still have them, would it be possible they might try to make a fast buck by selling off those frames in the future? I know that HRC did running changes to the frames over the years, so I'm hoping these bastards will get caught trying to sell a stolen frame that has certain unique characteristics found only in that year of development.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
...you forgot complaint #11: "...it won't come in "Rootbeer"QUOTE]

i wrote it. . . then deleted it. somehow i didn't think it fit.

now that you mention it, here are some possible questions people will ask. does it come in rootbeer, can i fit an avy. on it, how does it pedal, how does it compare to a turner dhr, isn't it just an expensive bullit, how much does it weigh, is it freerideable, will it fit a 3" tire, and where can i find honda'a website?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
...you forgot complaint #11: "...it won't come in "Rootbeer"QUOTE]

i wrote it. . . then deleted it. somehow i didn't think it fit.

now that you mention it, here are some possible questions people will ask. does it come in rootbeer, can i fit an avy. on it, how does it pedal, how does it compare to a turner dhr, isn't it just an expensive bullit, how much does it weigh, is it freerideable, will it fit a 3" tire, and where can i find honda'a website?
Yes, but how bad is the "brake jack" on the rootbeer frames?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I could see it selling really well if it came in around 4-5k. Much beyond that and there isn't enough of an improvement to justify the cost. Plus, a lahar is a very similar bike...and that comes in around $3500 in the US.

Retardlessly, I look forward to seeing it if/when it comes out...been one of my favorite chassis for quite some time.

Lahar is nothing like a Honda. Lahar has a 14 speed internal geared hub on the frame and its made out of carbon. The guy who makes them puts his pubic hairs in the frame when hes laying up the carbon. The pivot is way higher on the Lahar which makes it accelerate through braking bumps. The carbon work is not very nice to look at either.
Honda is a proper gearbox bike Lahar is not.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Lahar is nothing like a Honda. Lahar has a ****ty 14 speed internal geared hub on the frame and its made out of plastic. The guy who makes them puts his pubic hairs in the frame when hes laying up the carbon. The pivot is too high on the Lahar which makes it hard to slow down through braking bumps. The carbon work is ugly too.
Honda is a proper gearbox bike Lahar is not.
Tell us how you really feel.:biggrin:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
No,... I didn't.:crazy:
well, see, it's a joke. *you* said no question, and posted a link to an RN-01. *I* said i agreed with you that it was no question, and fixed the link to results from Worlds last year where Sam Hill (on a Sunday) beat Minnaar (on an RN-01) by 4.22 seconds. see, it was my way of saying "yes, it's no question, the Sunday is better", but was trying to... ummmm.... damn. ok, nevermind.

missed joke cleanup on isle 9 please. :lighten:

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Yes, but how bad is the "brake jack" on the rootbeer frames?
You're missing the point. The statement went "...you forgot complaint #11: "...it won't come in Rootbeer". See, "in rootbeer". As in submersed in rootbeer for preservation purposes. The Honda team does this with all team bikes pre/post race and for transportation. Incredible cost, but worth it for the team. Production frame kits will not get this treatment in order to bring the price down for consumers.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I just saw some chinese mini motos that were sent to suzuki USA....they will retail for $300 and they look and work truly bad ass.

With that, I like the story that someone stole the honda bikes and will make some imitations! haha

Because the DH bike market is so lucrative.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
well, see, it's a joke. *you* said no question, and posted a link to an RN-01. *I* said i agreed with you that it was no question, and fixed the link to results from Worlds last year where Sam Hill (on a Sunday) beat Minnaar (on an RN-01) by 4.22 seconds. see, it was my way of saying "yes, it's no question, the Sunday is better", but was trying to... ummmm.... damn. ok, nevermind.

missed joke cleanup on isle 9 please. :lighten:
Joke not missed, just didn't agree, Hill is a better rider the RN-01 is a better bike.

Reality is, me>:wait: for me Honda for a long time now.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
if i spent that much money on a honda, it'd have a motor. i still can't believe people spend $5K on dh bikes.
Agreed

I couldn't believe people spent 4 grand on a camera....but, it is something you can do every second of every day. Riding your DH bike on a DH trail is just a wee bit harder to go out and do.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Agreed

I couldn't believe people spent 4 grand on a camera....but, it is something you can do every second of every day. Riding your DH bike on a DH trail is just a wee bit harder to go out and do.
Step up Canon 400 mm Zoom Lens $6000

Camera body can be the expensive part but you can always spend further.

I wouldn't think twice about a 10k dh bike if I like it.

How many girls do you know that have $200+ shoes that they never wear.

Over-spending is all relative in the U.S.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just cant believe people would spend the kind of money they would ask for this thing. Basically if you are bringing in the $jing$ to afford it, you most likely have a career which limits your riding time enough that this thing isnt going to win or lose a race for you. It's great that it is pushing technology but man...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Step up Canon 400 mm Zoom Lens $6000

Camera body can be the expensive part but you can always spend further.

I wouldn't think twice about a 10k dh bike if I like it.

How many girls do you know that have $200+ shoes that they never wear.

Over-spending is all relative in the U.S.
I know nothing about camera costs, thanks for enlightening me.
10k on a DH bike...wow, for something that will last one full season of racing.

$200 is a lot less than 10-15k, shoes you can wear everyday, a nice pair of shoes can be worn for years, be repaired. Fact is we are talking about something that is 2-4 times the cost of most of most other bikes.

No biggie though, if you want to spend 10k on a DH bike, more power to you...