Quantcast

Honda RN01's Stolen

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
From www.mbaction.com

RACE NOTES
*Ex World and current NORBA Champ Greg Minnaar ended up winning the second World Cup of 2005 on a parts bike. Only five days before the race thieves broke into the factory box van and stole a bevy full of $200,000 RN01s.

Bummer for Honda. What would you do with one of those bikes, you couldn't ride it anywhere. F**King thieves :angry:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Best part is that the honda engineers take the gearboxes to their rooms at night. The bikes are 100% useless to anyone, no way to mount a drivetrain/cranks/pedals.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
What a bunch of idiots... Lets go ride the bikes we just stole... No wait they are so unique we will get caught...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Transcend said:
Best part is that the honda engineers take the gearboxes to their rooms at night. The bikes are 100% useless to anyone, no way to mount a drivetrain/cranks/pedals.
where'd you hear that? That's good thinking.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I still think that its a bunch of BS. I just cant see how it can be considered superior to a rohlf hub or the traditional 9 speed deralur?

Well, thieves usually are stupid. It was probably just a bunch of drunk dudes, they will turn up.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
If it's anything like cars they probably care more about the rest of the components... but still funny that they went after such a unique bike.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
-the weight is inboard compared to a rohley hub.

-you can shift without pedaling, weight inboard again, no smashing off der's on rocks.

make it half the price and somewhat standardized and i think it would be a welcome change. sad to hear about this kind of stuff though. makes me sad that people can be that stupid.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
mack said:
I still think that its a bunch of BS. I just cant see how it can be considered superior to a rohlf hub or the traditional 9 speed deralur?

Well, thieves usually are stupid. It was probably just a bunch of drunk dudes, they will turn up.
Well let's see...a Rohloff is a boat anchor that blows up from DH duty much of the time and needs 2 cables and a special shifter, and a regular derrailleur gets destroyed when you hit rocks. Any more stupid questions?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Transcend said:
Well let's see...a Rohloff is a boat anchor that blows up from DH duty much of the time and needs 2 cables and a special shifter, and a regular derrailleur gets destroyed when you hit rocks. Any more stupid questions?

Umm yeah, i have another one. So, how much does a new deralur cost? And how much does a new Honda frame cost when you break those lower tubes because there is no guard?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
mack said:
Umm yeah, i have another one. So, how much does a new deralur cost? And how much does a new Honda frame cost when you break those lower tubes because there is no guard?
If you are breaking frames like a hack, a Honda isn't for you.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado

Funny, i can see this frame hitting allot of logs on the DH courses i know. I can also see this thing never making it into production.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
mack said:

Funny, i can see this frame hitting allot of logs on the DH courses i know. I can also see this thing never making it into production.
I can see you going OTB in a parking lot, with hella chicks laughing and pointing.

:thumb:

I can also see Honda putting these into production with chips installed in the frame that give you data downloads at the end of each run.

They make robots for chrissake. A bike is cakewalk to these guys.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
H8R said:
I can see you going OTB in a parking lot, with hella chicks laughing and pointing.

:thumb:

I can also see Honda putting these into production with chips installed in the frame that give you data downloads at the end of each run.

They make robots for chrissake. A bike is cakewalk to these guys.
Robots that can ride frikkin bikes! (no, not minnaar, remove your tinfoil hats now).

h8r...halo tonight?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mack, you may as well just stop talking right now before you make yourself look like even stupider...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Transcend said:
Rohloff ......blows up from DH duty much of the time
Um, no it doesn't.

Having it on the rear axel blows for DH, but it definately does not blow up from heavy usage. I thought Super T and the like showed us this already?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Transcend said:
Robots that can ride frikkin bikes! (no, not minnaar, remove your tinfoil hats now).

h8r...halo tonight?
I'll be on probably after 9:30 PST.

Where the hell is RM these days?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Maybe they plan to post a PDF of everything inside of that monster for all of us e-speculators to ogle.

I don't think you'd steal that bike for the bike, you'd steal it to find out what made it go (provided they got a gearbox).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
binary visions said:
mack, you may as well just stop talking right now before you make yourself look like even stupider...
Might as well tell a chimp to stop being hairy.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Mack, like it or not, internal transmissions will be the next big thing. It simply makes more sense: you don't have a derailleur hanging off the back of your bike, you can cut down a ton of unsprung weight, the transmission can stay sealed, you can run a burlier chain if you want, and ALWAYS have a perfect chainline, and you don't need to run a huge bashring that will cover your 40t ring. I hit my bashring a lot on my DH bike, but when I had an LRP that covered a 34t, it rarely got hit, unless I was trying to grind over a log or something.

That said, bummer for the Honda guys. Hopefully some of the bikes will get returned, but we all know the return rate of stolen bikes is abyssimally low.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
valve bouncer said:
more stupid. ;) :D ...sorry mate, couldn't resist.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard...
What language do you speak again??

It's stupider in the comparative, stupidest in the superlative (a dubious term for this word, though.)

Sucks about the bikes...

MD

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
valve bouncer said:
more stupid. ;) :D ...sorry mate, couldn't resist.
Man, I am on a roll tonight, between the lounge and here. I guess I'm going to have to pay a little more attention...

Or, I could just say: go to hell, bastard :eviltongu

:D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
atrokz said:
Um, no it doesn't.

Having it on the rear axel blows for DH, but it definately does not blow up from heavy usage. I thought Super T and the like showed us this already?
Well according to many users, and Rohloff itself, it will not survive the constant pounding of DH runs..yes..according to Mr Rohloff himself. When i specifically asked, he did not recommend it, so take that for what it's worth.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
binary visions said:
Man, I am on a roll tonight, between the lounge and here. I guess I'm going to have to pay a little more attention...

Or, I could just say: go to hell, bastard :eviltongu

:D
Or you could say, "Shut up, marsupial felcher...I'm right!!"

MD

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
James | Go-Ride said:
bummer for the Honda guys. Hopefully some of the bikes will get returned, but we all know the return rate of stolen bikes is abyssimally low.
Prolly stolen by tweekers and cut up for scrap aluminum. They will get $10 at the recycler for the frames. :mumble: I hope they die soon.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
blue said:
Maybe they plan to post a PDF of everything inside of that monster for all of us e-speculators to ogle.

I don't think you'd steal that bike for the bike, you'd steal it to find out what made it go (provided they got a gearbox).
http://www.dirtmag.co.uk/honda.html

That is all it is.

I know it is hard for you guys not to be assholes, but the fact is that gearboxes are allot of money. I am not saying that a derailleur is superior to a gearbox, because the benefits of a gearbox are obvious. For most of us the derailleur will remain a staple in mountain biking. I don't really know how bashing my riding ability has anything to do with this, have any of you people ridden the Honda bike? Do you know how it performs? Not just assumptions based on Greg Minnar's Performance race results. Its time to get rid of your RacerX mentality.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
blt2ride said:
It's not like you can simply paint that bike and ride it...I wonder if someone from a bike company took it???????
or maybe someone that just wanted the next coolest thing to come out.