Quantcast

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I worked in a bicycle warehouse when I was 17. It was hot, sweaty, work, and I complained once to my boss. He pointed out my counterpart, who wasn't as intelligent as I and did not speak English, was on the roof, tarring it in the summer heat.

I shut up right there and never complained again.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I worked in a bicycle warehouse when I was 17. It was hot, sweaty, work, and I complained once to my boss. He pointed out my counterpart, who wasn't as intelligent as I and did not speak English, was on the roof, tarring it in the summer heat.
did the guy drink a Bohemia-style beer courtesy of the hardest screw that ever walked a turn at Shawshank State Prison?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My parents have never handed me anything. I have been working different jobs since I was in middle school. I enjoy working with my hands vs doing paperwork. I am looking into union jobs now.
Guess what? My parents never handed me anything either. The only worthwhile things I've ever gotten from my parents is a good work ethic and some help with college tuition.

The only "union" you'll ever make it into is a Funion.

i know the spelling is wrong, just go with it for the sake of the joke

Having once been a young idiot myself... I don't know what you guys have your panties all twisted up about? Everyone finds their own way eventually... nothing wrong big dreams or romantic ideals.

I'm sure no one here ever said anything as youngster that sounded remotely stupid... :)

As far as school being a walk in the park... yes, yes it is. Theory is one thing, practice is another. :monkey:

There's a difference between being young and naive and just being flat out delusional. PSP is making a delivery truck job out as "hard labor" like its the fvcking Battan Death March.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
running around like a fag with packages in your hands has to be cake.

Try lugging 22ft 2X12 boards for 9 hours on a hot sunny day across a muddy as f^ck construction site while your fat, angry, pissed off and impatient boss is screaming at you to do it faster. All while one of the fork lifts just sits there because they want you to bust your ass to see if you crack and quit. That is how I payed for my first real DH season.

You can come be my assistant at a car dealership for a week, I'll F ucking break you in 2 days if it's busy. I promise.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'll admit it. I'm graduating from college in 4 weeks with a degree in crops and soil sciences and I used it to find a fake job... Someone is paying me $17.00 an hour to backpack in Yellowstone.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Man, whoever said they were hangin dry wall............that is some hard shizzle. I've helped do it before. You gotta be a strong MF.

When i was 18 i started working at a production factory before i was done with high school. I was working swings, 3:30 to midnight, then going back to school in the mornings. I worked in such a fast paced, hot area where you had to lift heavy things. There were 3 people that were hired at the same time i was that quit at lunch time on the first day. I remember sweating almost to death, barely being able to walk back in my front door after work, and getting heat rash in my armpits because it was so hot. That was the best shape i was ever in. Ever. The hardest shizzle i've ever had to do. Good god my phat arse would die if i ever had to do that again.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Man, whoever said they were hangin dry wall............that is some hard shizzle. I've helped do it before. You gotta be a strong MF.
I agree, drywall blows PSP's goats. Tearing off roofs and nailing new shingles down is a close second :plthumbsdown:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have to disagree with whoever said that college is necessary to get a good job. That is what they want you to believe. I don't have a degree but have a good job in my field.

Oh & PSP is a mental midget & every post he makes he just reinforces that statement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have to disagree with whoever said that college is necessary to get a good job. That is what they want you to believe. I don't have a degree but have a good job in my field.
Oh I agree. It's not necessary to get a good job. But it certainly doesn't hurt. College isn't for everyone. It all depends on what kind of life you want.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Oh I agree. It's not necessary to get a good job. But it certainly doesn't hurt. College isn't for everyone. It all depends on what kind of life you want.
Very well put. I have an ok job right now. But i want a better one now. I'm getting ready to head back to school. Not so much for the sake of making more money, but for having more security in knowing that if something DOES happen to the current job, i'll have a good backup.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
F**k package handler, get in and load the trucks like a man. I did that for 2 years while going to college. It's no joke, i have full respect for the full timers that have been there for many years. the mail never stops, it'll drive some people insane. Although, at least you're doing something.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I wish i was a fry cook. I'd be stashing them in my camel back for xc rides.

It could be like in the movie "american beauty". If only i could blackmail one of the VPs. Hmmm.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
F**k package handler, get in and load the trucks like a man. I did that for 2 years while going to college. It's no joke, i have full respect for the full timers that have been there for many years. the mail never stops, it'll drive some people insane. Although, at least you're doing something.
I worked the "sunrise shift" at DHL from 2:00am until 7:00am, then was in school from 8:00am to noon every day. I did that for 6 months and it was crazy fast.

I was unloading.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I did the afternoon shift loading the airplane for FedEx. That is some crazy fast lodaing as you have to have that plane loaded and on the runway hell or high water

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
That's pretty rough. Papercuts suck.
i actually got one under my fingernail once. That really sucked.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I never understand why they put most of the new roofs on around here in the summer -- black tar paper and 95°+ for 4 months straight. :twitch:
Because it rains less in the summer so there's less chance of a storm blowing in when you have no roof :disgust1:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
GS-15 government worker is where he'll be. He displays ALL the government worker potential.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
If I were a little more buzzed I would neg rep each and every one of you a-holes for replying to such an obvious attention whore troll...

damnit... if I did, I'd have to neg rep self!

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
miscellaneous jobs i had while i was getting my Ivy League Education.

2 summers of Directional Boring Crew laborer. 10 hrs a day of digging holes to find power mains that we had to cross while pulling fiber cable underground. Fun job and the guys I worked with were actually some of the smartest guys I have ever been around. It was also the hardest thing I have ever done.

Laborer in a beer distributor. Moving kegs by hand in a 30 degree cooler during the winter. Was way warmer in the cooler than the warehouse.

Spent a summer pouring concrete bridge forms, then putting them in place. The forms were poured in a building that rang up 100+ temps on a daily basis.

Ran a office furniture moving crew. Try to carry a 10g oak desk weighing about 300 pounds up 4 flights of steps for 9 bucks an hour without damaging the walls or the desk with one other guy.

Driving a delivery truck is nothing to brag about.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
GS-15 government worker is where he'll be. He displays ALL the government worker potential.
He would have to get a Masters Degree first.

Man, wouldn't that be a trip? He'd be making over 6 figures if he were a 15.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
If I were a little more buzzed I would neg rep each and every one of you a-holes for replying to such an obvious attention whore troll...

damnit... if I did, I'd have to neg rep self!
The mods should change PSP's custom title to "Son Of N8"