Quantcast

Honestly How many Ride Road when they cant dh

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
OK after looking at more than a few Topics tonight i am very curios to know how many outthere also ride road for either training,transportation, fun, or just anything. Ill define road riding for anyone who is unsure of what qualifies........If 20 miles of pedalling is out of the question then it isnt road riding..... couple of guys i road ride with have sugar4's with city slicker 1.5 just for the ocmfort facter and they have assorted back troubles

I Myself Ride a Trek 1200.... stock cept the tires......and i ride for training transportaion and for the fun factor....... few weeks ago a Friend of mine asked if i wanted to ride to Newport and back ... its a 62 mile turn and it was fun road riding had helped with my DH and FR Balance wize and stamina wize....... So If anyone else Rides road in the offtime of DH/FR lets ehar about and see how many ride both
________
Live sex

Last edited:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I'd say I DH when im not Trail riding.... AKA... XC without the spandex.

Could never get a feel for the road bike... maybe cuz it was an el cheapo and I also dislike riding in traffic. .....

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I used to ride a roady quite often. Was great for building up endurance.

Not lately because I didn't bring it with me over the ocean, but it's waiting for me when I get back home. Right now I'm building a light XC up, I'll prolly just throw slicks onto it for some tarmac training.

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
I try to ride two or three times a week of road and once a week of xc, theres no dh riding in michigan so thats all we can do.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
'Cuz living around Lake Tahoe, I have the best of most worlds. The trails are amazing, and the road riding is never ending. If any of you know the passes around here (Kingsbury, Spooner, Ebbetts, Monitor), then you know the fun the "downhill" side of them can be after the huffing and puffing of riding up. Granted, I'll do anywhere from 15 miles when visiting Alaina, to 65+ on the longer days. Haven't done the lap around Tahoe, yet. That's going to happen soon.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
In the winter I ride my FLY on the road to stay in shape.

I really need to get a XC or road bike. Ive been looking at the Kona DEW. Its kind of in between.

Anyone ride a Kona DEW?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Transcend said:
Road is fun with the right group of people.
Bingo! That's the key right there. If you go out with some hardcore roadies, it probably won't be too much fun. While I don't have a road bike, I take my DJ bike out on some really long road rides when I can't get out to the dirt. I actually spent most of my time jumping curb cuts and walking the bike uphill, but it's fun nonetheless...

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I trail ride when not DHing...or I should say I DH when I'm not trail riding. Still trying to find some DH guys to hang with, mostly flying solo and trail riding is more fun solo than DHing solo.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
I like highway riding on my mountain bike. I rode 90 km with a friend once, we were both on mountain bikes, I had a Trek Session. Baggy shorts, baggy shirt, no helmet or anything like that - I don't embrace the "road" image. I wanted to do a 150 km trip but that never happened.

I especially like highway riding at night, wouldn't want anything but a mountain bike for that. I'll never own a road bike, I think my Session is fine for road.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Very Cool guys..... Nice to see people admitting they ride road.... and no it doesnt have to be a Road bike either.... road riding is endurance and riding a session 90Kil is hardcore <Respect> ANyways follow up from my original nice seeing that noone flamed anyone on this like i had seen in a couple otehr Threads in teh last few days
________
Bongs

Last edited:

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I do one road ride a few times a year on my XC bike. It's about 30 miles with some good up and down in it. I usually throw some slicks on it and go for it. I got this bright idea that if I did the sale rid eon a road bike, it would be faster and easier so I borrowed on and gave it a shot. I rode the new bike a couple of times to get used to it, then did that same ride. I was slower! I couldn't believe it but I was 8 minutes slower on the same ride I had done many times before. I really felt like I was fighting the bike the whole way and could not get comfortable. Bottom line for me is that I will go back to my XC bike and slicks for any road riding I do. It makes sense to ride the bike that has the riding position you race in (or at least close to it).

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
When I am not on the DH bike, I take out my cross bike. I thought descending on a road bike was scary, it is even more scary on a cross bike descending service roads. Every ride on the cross bike it is great to just get out and explore the roads around me.

The legs also feel so much better when you finish a long day of DH with a slow spin on the road. Their are so many benifits to getting out on the road. As someone said earlier if you are racing DH you really should get out on the road. As for the lycra yes it does look bad, but their are performance/comfort advantages.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
You guys talking about non-DH riding makes me want to have my second bike here with me.

I know when I have the disposable income, I figure one DH bike, one all-mountain bike, one road bike would do it. Of course, it'll have to be a Trek OCLV bike. :)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
For about $399 you can buy the Kona Dew.
http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/product_detail.aspx?productid=78&parentid=182

Dew Deluxe $599
http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/product_detail.aspx?productid=79&parentid=182

The Kona Smoke for $349 looks alright for the real snowy days plus it woul be a little heavy and keep you use to the drag of a DH bike.

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/product_detail.aspx?productid=85&parentid=182

I think Ill problably get the Dew. They had them on close out last year for $299. I should have bought one.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i try to ride everything, dh, road, mx, xc, bmx, i find that if you spend some time on just one for like a month and switch off you'll become better in your favorite discipline. example: riding bmx for a while greatly helped with my dh manuevering

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I road ride every now and then. I have a cyclocross bike, so I just toss road tires on that and go out. I prefer XC or DH, so I usually will do either of those before I ride road...but sometimes, I just ride on the road before exhausting other possibilities. It's just so different from other types of riding. Oh, and I definitely agree that descending on road is much scarier than DH. You're going a lot faster, the speed is much more apparent and you usually have the time and excess mental energy to be thinking bad thoughts (as in, "man, going down right now would really hurt). In DH, I never think like that because I get so focused on riding.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i'm actually looking to buy a road bike. I ride DH twice a week, trail ride a few times a week, ride street whenever i feel like it at nite usually...it would be cool just to have a road bike and get out to ride along the coast or something around here...where there is actually good road riding. i love DH and trail riding but i'm just a fan of riding bikes period.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
I ride road way more than i DH. I'm usually on the road bike 2-3 times per week for training. Spandex, shaven legs and all. I also ride a lot of XC in the winter for training. Riding on ice and snow really teaches you how to drift a DH rig. I've also been riding a lot of BMX on my 20 inch. If you have never ridden a 20 you need to. Even coasting feels twice as fast as on a MTB. I figure the more time on the bike the better training you will recieve so i do nearly 75% of my winter training on the bike. The rest is done in the weight room.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I have a road bike that I use fairly often. It is alot easier to jump on the road than organize DH shuttles. Actually, I think I'll go right now... see ya.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I like road riding. I haven't done a serious road ride lately, but often I'll just take my fixie for a spin on some roads. There are a few nice flatter ones where you can pace cars and go fast. Road riding is easier than DHing, all I need to do is grab the bike and a helmet.