Quantcast

Hope 2 hubsets ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Anyone seen or use Hope Pro 2 hubs ?
Are they any good and are they easy to maintain ?

cheers

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
If they are anything like the bulb's which I have 3 of then they will be just as good as Hadley's in my opinion. Although I like the QR to 20mm front hub, I'd rather have a 20mm only one that doesn't have slightly loose cups, or whatever it is you call the 20mm cones that are held in by retaining clips..

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I've got 2 sets of Hope Bulb hubsets and they're amazing. Front 20mm I believe is lighter than a CK. One rear is a QR and the other is 12mm and both sets have held up to years of FR and DH abuse. I do now have Hadleys on my RFX but that was more for the rear 10mm thru axle to run a Saint RD as well as the 108pt engagement. For DH the Bulb's are perfect.

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
Friend just built a set up, too new to say anything about reliability but all the other Hope hubs i've used have been perfect for years, seem great quality as always.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
There was a review of them in an issue of DIRT last year, came out pretty good. Especially with being able to change all axle options (same as Bulb) but these had more engagements and seals etc...

I love my rear bulb hub. I have Marzocchi front 20mm hubs but if I didn't I'd have a Hope hub. Their price isn't bad, quality is up there, bearings are smooth, not really much else to ask from it.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I like the fact that the Pro II's are relatively inexpensive and supposedly lighter than Bulbs as well as the multiple axle possibilities.

SuperBad

Chimp
Feb 27, 2006
I have a pro II front in 20mm and a Bulb in 12mm thru in the rear. Haven't had them very long, but so far they seem to work perfectly.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
I'm considering these too, anyone know how many engagement points they have? Still 36? Can't beat 285 grams for a rear hub eh?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Mine's still going strong after three months use. Seems sweet. One thing I would say, it's LOUD. I'm not sure I'd want to put one on an xc bike for that reason, but I'm happy with it on my DHR.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I've got Pro II hubs on my trail bike and I'm very happy with them after several months. They have 24pt engagement and yes they are loud. The trials version has slightly different engagement (more pts but not any faster than the regular) and a ti freehub body but I haven't seen one in person yet. For the weight, price, and quality they are tough to beat. 5 year warranty as well. The Bulb is being discontinued by the way.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
what the hell is up with the price on these things. i have seen $100 in range? price point is $180, go-ride is $220, ride-this is $280. are there different versions out there. wtf?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
mandown said:
what the hell is up with the price on these things. i have seen $100 in range? price point is $180, go-ride is $220, ride-this is $280. are there different versions out there. wtf?
Yes there are different versions. QR rear retail is $187. The trials version and the 12x150 are supposed to retail for $207. Conversion kits for the rear to go 10 or 12mm thru axle are $32.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Mike B. said:
The Bulb is being discontinued by the way.
Are you sure on that? I called Hope USA a few weeks ago and they said Bulb wasn't being discontinued and they even were carrying all colors now.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Salami said:
Are you sure on that? I called Hope USA a few weeks ago and they said Bulb wasn't being discontinued and they even were carrying all colors now.
Talked to Phil on Thursday and he said they are being discontinued. They only thing the Bulb still had going for it was 36 vs. 24 pts so I guess it makes some sense.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
Mike B. said:
I've got Pro II hubs on my trail bike and I'm very happy with them after several months. They have 24pt engagement and yes they are loud. The trials version has slightly different engagement (more pts but not any faster than the regular) and a ti freehub body but I haven't seen one in person yet. For the weight, price, and quality they are tough to beat. 5 year warranty as well. The Bulb is being discontinued by the way.
wouldnt more points mean 'yes faster'? the trials version ive been on for a bit has 48 points and hasnt skipped on me yet. if it's any indication as to the reliability of the regular versions i would be glad to throw them on my other rides if they all didnt have hadley's already.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I think the pro II's have an aluminum cassette carrier instead of the Ti like on the bulbs, that is why they are cheaper.

Does anyone know if a 12mm axle can be put on the pro II trials hub for DH use so you can get 48 engagements instead of 24??

**edit** The trials hub have 4 pawls, two offset in a 24 tooth gear, thats is how they get 48, the normal pro II has 3 pawls engaging at the same time in a 24 tooth gear.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
i dont think you would want to use the trials version for dh anyways, the cassette body is shorteneed so that the shell/flages are wider for zero dish. you can only fit 6 gears on the trials version. maybe ok for mtn cross if you're into that whole not running a full cluster type thing.