Quantcast

Hope 2002 range

Nothing ground breaking but I was at the LBS today and I know the guy who owns it quite well and he was showing me the new Hope stuff for this year.The range will be as follows:

C2 No change to the oldest system they produce.
M4 A newer version of the Enduro.Slightly tweaked caliper and it'll use either the lever off the Mini or one very similar.
Mini Dont think this one is gonna change either.

Note that there is no XC4 anymore.Evidently it didnt live up to Hope's expectations in either performance or sales.The word from Hope is that they had loads of problems with the pads wearing unevenly cos of the different sized pistons.

Dont know if I should get the Mini's now or wait till the new M4 system comes out in the spring:confused:

Hmmmm.Dont know about the Enduro's.The shop had just finished fitting a pair to a GT i drive xc bike and they looked total overkill.I'm gonna be fitting the discs to my xc bike so I think Mini's will suffice.Gonna be a while till I get them so the M4's will probably be out by then and I can have a look at them in the flesh and decide then.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1

They may be just upgrading the levers, They have used the pro's for quite a while.
The levers were the only thing that worked! Well, I had leaky calipers, bad hoses that let fluid in between the two layers causing me to (dangerously) lose all power, admittedly terrible squealing/screaming brake pads, and bad lever seals. So actually only the lever blades worked. Hard to mess up a CNC'ed piece of metal I guess. Glad others have had better luck though.

G

gravity

Originally posted by Bulldog
The Enduros sure lasted long...1 year. Speaks volumes for them. Very representative of my experiences.
just new names...... the enduros were the renamed DH4s and the M4 is the renamed enduro. and i quite liked the enduros/DH4s actually (in my vast experience with test-riding).

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by gravity

just new names...... the enduros were the renamed DH4s and the M4 is the renamed enduro. and i quite liked the enduros/DH4s actually (in my vast experience with test-riding).
The Enduros were only the same as the DH4 in that they were the 4 piston DH brakes. New caliper was slimmer/lighter. New rubber diaphragm in the lever to aid performance. Pro lever standard. New (shiitty) pads. So really they only looked similar.

bad hoses that let fluid in between the two layers causing me to (dangerously) lose all power
If those were the hoses that had the clear coating that you could see the steel braiding through then yes,they were crap.They went back to the old black hoses.I've got a set of old C2's on my Lobo that are about four and a half years old and have never been rebuilt (except new pads) and have never let me down.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

The levers were the only thing that worked! Well, I had leaky calipers, bad hoses that let fluid in between the two layers causing me to (dangerously) lose all power, admittedly terrible squealing/screaming brake pads, and bad lever seals. So actually only the lever blades worked. Hard to mess up a CNC'ed piece of metal I guess. Glad others have had better luck though.
I have had a few problems with my DHO4's but I don't think I would go to another brake manufacture. When they are working right they are the best!!!!

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Revol

If those were the hoses that had the clear coating that you could see the steel braiding through then yes,they were crap.They went back to the old black hoses.I've got a set of old C2's on my Lobo that are about four and a half years old and have never been rebuilt (except new pads) and have never let me down.
Nope. They were the regular old black ones. Fluid got in between the inner layer and the outer protective layer, causing my lever to pull to the bars. Sad thing is it happened on both the ft/rr brakes within a week of each other. Got tired of Bill calling me a liar (referring to the squealing pad compound) and didn't believe him when he told me the hose problem was the first he'd ever heard of. Others have been very happy with Hope. I simply had way too many things happen with the most expensive brakes out there, and poor service after that. I love companies like Marzocchi and so do many others, but I'm sure there has to be one or two fellas that have had bad experiences. For Hope, I'm one of those guys.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
I`ve been using C2`s fore 3.5 years with NO problems. I bought Enduro`s last summer......another great brake!! Lots of power, NO noises (Original Hope/galfer pads) and a great feeling!! I live in Europe, I have never heard really bad things about Enduro`s or C2`s. I know that the brakes who goes to US is "dry" in the shipment and get bleeded when they arrive. Maybe som strange thing is happening when they get bleeded??

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by espen
I`ve been using C2`s fore 3.5 years with NO problems. I bought Enduro`s last summer......another great brake!! Lots of power, NO noises (Original Hope/galfer pads) and a great feeling!! I live in Europe, I have never heard really bad things about Enduro`s or C2`s. I know that the brakes who goes to US is "dry" in the shipment and get bleeded when they arrive. Maybe som strange thing is happening when they get bleeded??
They had a bad batch of pads made. I usally run EBC pads and never have had a problem.

The price of Hopes at the moment in England makes them one of the cheapest brakes going.I think I've only seen the Mini's under cut by the Formula B4's and the ShimaNo Deore's both of which are IMHO not as good as the Hopes.

DHiTone

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Revol
Hmmmm.Dont know about the Enduro's.The shop had just finished fitting a pair to a GT i drive xc bike and they looked total overkill.I'm gonna be fitting the discs to my xc bike so I think Mini's will suffice.

The Enduro's are complete overkill on an xc bike. I got a second hand pair a few weeks back and stuck them on my Coyote HT4 having been impressed with them on my DHi for performance and weight.

Unfortunately, because they are so good, on a light bike they lock the rear wheel too easily and you just skid like hell. On a 45lb dh bike they are great, on a 23lb xc bike, i'd go for the mini's. The Enduro's are going on a Patriot hopefully and the XC4s are back on the Coyote.

Yeah,Tone thats what I thought.Nice bit of engineering tho'.Gonna get the Mini's but with a round edge disc instead of the crap "wavy" version.Hope say's it'll do them custom for the same price as the wavy ones.
The enduro's would look very nice on my Lobo!! Cant afford two new sets of brakes though:(

Edit: Forgot to say.Was talking to one of the guys I ride with and it turns out the fella who has the i-drive the Enduro's were fitted to is a local bouncer.About 6'5",260 lbs so maybe he does need Enduro's ?!?!

Unreal

Chimp
Sep 26, 2001
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1

I have had a few problems with my DHO4's but I don't think I would go to another brake manufacture. When they are working right they are the best!!!!
I second that. My DH4's rock like nothing else around, when I have them working right. I guess it's not really thier fault though, I should stop smashing the levers.