Quantcast

Hope 6sp Proto Cassette

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Looks like 9-17 or 9-18? I like. Pair that with a 32t ring and it would be sweet.

I'd be even more stoked if it had a little bigger range- like 9-20 or something.

Jrod155

Chimp
Nov 4, 2010
i have a dimension printer at work, when i start my own thing, i'm buying one. It makes customers drool when you show them that printed parts.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
That's what I was wondering. If Hadley did this I'd be stoked. The hope hubs need MOAR PAWLZ!!!
For downhill? It's not like engagement points are really a big deal on a DH bike. Maybe I'm just too fat to care much about pedalling but I can't say I've ever thought "gee this lack of engagement points is annoying" mid run, which I can say about almost every other thing on my bike at some point or another!

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
A high engaement is something that you shouldnt notice but evertime you start pedaling you will save a little time. It really makes a diffrence when you only have time/space to do a bitch crank. Maybe not a huge advantage but still it is one none the less.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
A high engaement is something that you shouldnt notice but evertime you start pedaling you will save a little time. It really makes a diffrence when you only have time/space to do a bitch crank. Maybe not a huge advantage but still it is one none the less.
Yeah but so is filing your fork crowns down for better aerodynamics... reality is that there is a million other things you could worry about first that make a far bigger difference.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I will say there is a huge difference between the shiimano 17* engagement and the more modern 26* found in hopes and most formula knockoffs. It's immediately noticeable on a trail bike and should be on a DH as well. As far as 72 vs. 36 vs. 26, I don't know.... But it's definitely worth buying a DECENT hub, whatever the engagement, IMHO.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Yeah but so is filing your fork crowns down for better aerodynamics... reality is that there is a million other things you could worry about first that make a far bigger difference.
the one thing i'll chime in about here was when i went from hadleys to a hub with less engagement points, my balance was thrown off in some sections because of how long the lag is before the pedals engages...this was more of a problem in slow speed techy sections....there's a definite advantage there, no question

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
I will say there is a huge difference between the shiimano 17* engagement and the more modern 26* found in hopes and most formula knockoffs. It's immediately noticeable on a trail bike and should be on a DH as well. As far as 72 vs. 36 vs. 26, I don't know.... But it's definitely worth buying a DECENT hub, whatever the engagement, IMHO.
Hope already sells hubs with 48 engagement points, the Pro 2 singlespeed/6-speed/trials version. Still 4 pawls but only 2 engaged at a time. With steel freehub.

And it sounds like an angry swarm of killer bees.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I think it is one of those a quired tastes, does it make a diffrence? yes. How much? Not much. Would i switch my I9 for a Hope? NO.

High engagement just feels more solid.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hope already has axle issues. More engagement points would = a higher chance of partial pawl engagement = more chances to shear an axle.

They need to address that issue first.
Eh?

1) The axle issues HAVE been addressed with the pro 2 evo.

2) Not sure how one could ever get "partial" pawl engagement, unless there was something already faulty in the hub. A damaged spring, excessively thick grease etc.

3) Even if "partial engagement" were to occur, I can't see how it would lead to axle failure. Damaged pawls/ratchet ring, sure, but none of the drive loads are carried by the axle.

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
Hope already has axle issues. More engagement points would = a higher chance of partial pawl engagement = more chances to shear an axle.

They need to address that issue first.
They did. They addressed that issue by removing the 17 to 15mm step in outer diameter of the axle between hub body bearing and freehub.

fl1ppo

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Frankfurt, Ger
All I can say is, that I'm riding my Hope Hubs on my DH bike since 3 years, and they're still fine.
Only thing I did was to regrease the freehub last year, and thats it. Even the original bearings are still running... :thumb:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Eh?

1) The axle issues HAVE been addressed with the pro 2 evo.

2) Not sure how one could ever get "partial" pawl engagement, unless there was something already faulty in the hub. A damaged spring, excessively thick grease etc.

3) Even if "partial engagement" were to occur, I can't see how it would lead to axle failure. Damaged pawls/ratchet ring, sure, but none of the drive loads are carried by the axle.
No freehub body can ever be produced so that all the pawls are perfectly evenly spaced. They can be close, but they can't be perfect. The next time you have your wheel off the bike try turning the freehub body very, very slowly. You will be able to hear the distinct clicks. Once in a blue pedal kick you will engage at exactly the wrong angle and only catch 1 or 2 of the 3 pawls. This creates an enormous shear load on the axle between the freehub body and the hub shell. Depending on the cog size it can be several times the load on the chain.

Before you tell me I'm a kook. I worked for a wheel manufacturer for a few years in the warranty dept. I've seen it.

The only way to completely eliminate the risk of a broken axle is to go with a different engagement system or design the hub so that it can withstand single-pawl operation.