Quantcast

Hope Bulb users - question

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've got the old style hub that requires a splined spider for mounting the disc rotor. can this hub still be converted to 20mm axle use?

D

DH40

did that myself...make sure you have the 2 spacers needed
for each end of the hub to compensate for wider leg spacing
on 20mm fork drops. I never got any but Hope hooked me in 2 days when I needed them.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
cool, thanks for your replies.

now, the next question...(and one i have also emailed hope about)...

can i use this hub to work w/ a hayes disk brake?

the reason being is that i might want to standardize braking systems, and i've got hayes on my DH bike. this way, i'd have redundant parts in case of breakage or failure. plus, hayes stuff is so much easier for me to find, state-side.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by narlus
cool, thanks for your replies.

now, the next question...(and one i have also emailed hope about)...

can i use this hub to work w/ a hayes disk brake?

the reason being is that i might want to standardize braking systems, and i've got hayes on my DH bike. this way, i'd have redundant parts in case of breakage or failure. plus, hayes stuff is so much easier for me to find, state-side.
I don't recall, is the current spider a 5 bolt?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Actually I think they have those adaptors.
brian - the spider and rotor are 5 bolt pattern.

what adapters are you referring to? from fork leg to caliper, or hub->spider->rotor? i'd assume that i need to use a hayes rotor, so that i would potentially require a new spider? i'll see what the hope dude says.

thanks,

tim

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Dude, you are in luck - I have been running this setup for years. I have a set of the splined Bulbs with 5bolt rotors. I too tried to find new spiders to fit 6bolt rotors since I only run Hayes Mags. I have never found anything. But don't worry. Get/use rotors that are as close to your Hayes as possible. I run an 8" Hayes on my DH front wheel with a 8ish" Hopr rotor on my 'XC' wheel, and likewise for my two rear wheels with 6" setup. Neither Hope rotor is exacly the same diameter as the Hayes - who cares? It is close enough. Also, the Hope rotors are a hair thicker - no problem. I ran my bike this year such that I could remove the XC wheels and put on the DH ones with little or no adjustment to the calipers required. This took some work to get the rotors in the same positions, but it is no big deal. So, bottom line, go for it.

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Uh yeah, I make a point to respond to ancient posts at least once a week. Actually, no, didn't notice. Thanks for notifying me of the fact that I am a tool though; its always good to be reminded.