Quantcast

Hope M4

Scream

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
I recently bought a set of 07 Hope Mono M4's with the serrated floating rotors and braided lines for my Banshee Scream. I chose these because my shop couldn't get Code's and I insist on remaining loyal to them. Alot of people since have been telling me that I made a HUGE mistake and the M4's aren't even in the same league. Is this true and are the M4's as bad as everyone is telling me ?

thanx for any input...cheers

Scream

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
thanx guys...was a little worried being a big guy on a heavy bike that tends to brake alot. The shop I go to will get them setup to perfection...so no worries there.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I have the last gen M4 Mono's and they are a pretty sweet set up for me. I'm not sure how big you are, but I'm 220ish so I'm not a light weight and they are pretty good on the decents.

One thing I noticed is that for Hopes, are a little more tricky and pads make a huge difference in performance.

Scream

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
im 6ft 230 lbs

Do you recommend any brake pads in particular to get them setup right ? Or should the stock ones be fine ?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I run my m6's on huge descents and brake hard to the point they tick and ping
This isn't saying much, it just means that the rotor has heated up, and due to the two different metals used in it's construction, the rotor clicks as the two metal expand at different rates. It's no hotter than any one-piece rotor.

I think the code lever design is sweet. With the three bearings in there they should prove super-durable. The Hopes tend to need the lever bushings replaced every season or so, but it's dead easy to do. I haven't spent much time on Codes. People say they're hugely powerful. My (old style M4s) have easily enough power for me (190lbs).

With regards Hopes being "tricky", I think brakes come down to what you're used to. I can bleed a set Hopes blindfolded (literally, my boasting got me in trouble once!) but I find Juicies a pain in the ass.

I don't think you'll regret it performance-wise. Hang out on here too long and you might start thinking you should have gone with something more bling/lightweight, but that's just what people are like here.

Padwise, for my M4s, I'd agree with the reccommendation of EBC reds, but recently I've also had good luck with the blue "BBB" pads you see on eBay. Dead cheap, and slightly longer lasting than EBC reds.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
having tried both, codes feel better for sure (i mean come on, they are sitting on 3 sets of sealed ball bearings what do you expect) but they work the same essentially

AlexYuen

Chimp
Jan 13, 2005
What??
I don't even bother with the stock pads. I usually throw it away and install the EBC, everytime when I receive new Hope brakes. But I am running the Shimano pads on my M4 now.

I heard the Kool Stops are pretty good too.

This isn't saying much, it just means that the rotor has heated up, and due to the two different metals used in it's construction, the rotor clicks as the two metal expand at different rates. It's no hotter than any one-piece rotor.

I think the code lever design is sweet. With the three bearings in there they should prove super-durable. The Hopes tend to need the lever bushings replaced every season or so, but it's dead easy to do. I haven't spent much time on Codes. People say they're hugely powerful. My (old style M4s) have easily enough power for me (190lbs).

With regards Hopes being "tricky", I think brakes come down to what you're used to. I can bleed a set Hopes blindfolded (literally, my boasting got me in trouble once!) but I find Juicies a pain in the ass.

I don't think you'll regret it performance-wise. Hang out on here too long and you might start thinking you should have gone with something more bling/lightweight, but that's just what people are like here.

Padwise, for my M4s, I'd agree with the reccommendation of EBC reds, but recently I've also had good luck with the blue "BBB" pads you see on eBay. Dead cheap, and slightly longer lasting than EBC reds.

stinky|Dan

Monkey
Aug 3, 2002
Good luck with the M4s. I've had mine for about two years now and I love them. Plenty powerful and they work day in and day out.