Quantcast

Hope Mono 6ti and Furious = Sad face

lincolnturns

Chimp
Feb 2, 2009
Bolda, CO
Help.

08 Commencal Furious and Hope Mono 6tis. Fronts mounted fine to the 66 up front. Rears are post mount to post mount, but the biggest piston chamber on the caliper hits the frame = FAIL. If I space out the caliper say 2/8" I can mount it but then I miss that amount of grab on the 203mm rotor. See pics. Hope USA said to "notch the frame". I think it's a horrible idea. Anyone have any solutions? Or wanna trade me a Mono 4 rear for my 6? (Last resort)...

Attachments

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Looks like (from the photos) that if you were to "notch" the frame, you'd have the caliper body resting on the rotor = bad. Looks kinda ok right there...maybe get a longer bolt and some spacers (MOAR SHIMZ!!!) for the front post mount. Might need an adjustable angle spacer set akin to the Avid BB7 right where the caliper mount would meet the top of the spacer stack since it's not perfectly perpendicular.

Hopefully someone has better advice than that...but that's my "duct tape and zip tie" view for ya.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm with Hope. There's a ton of extraneous material there, take a file to it.

lincolnturns

Chimp
Feb 2, 2009
Bolda, CO
To the first reply....IF I were to get the caliper to mount flush with the post mounts on the frame it would sit on the rotor perfectly. Don't want to take a chance at ruining the resale value of the bike either if I dump the frame in a year or so because I decided to "file away" some of the frame to get the brake to fit. Or is that not a big deal if all is structurally sound? No doubt there is a TON of extra material built up around the posts.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Notch the frame.

Really just the brake mount. I've seen it done. No biggie.

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
To the first reply....IF I were to get the caliper to mount flush with the post mounts on the frame it would sit on the rotor perfectly. Don't want to take a chance at ruining the resale value of the bike either if I dump the frame in a year or so because I decided to "file away" some of the frame to get the brake to fit. Or is that not a big deal if all is structurally sound? No doubt there is a TON of extra material built up around the posts.
Ah. I was a little fuzzy from the photo. Notch it.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Be a shame to bust out the dremel on such a pretty bike but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. If you go that route, maybe find some nail polish that matches so your grind job isn't so noticable.

Some out of the box thinking yielded this...

9" hayes rotor
Avid tri-align washers and mounting bolts.

lincolnturns

Chimp
Feb 2, 2009
Bolda, CO
Very good point. Hollow is no good. If you look down on the frame section it actually tapers to a point between the posts on the brake mount so highly unlikely its hollow. Doesn't need much to fit flush.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Do a neat job, and get some touch up paint.

Or you could get the M4.

ORR you could win and just get '10 Saints. (Someone has to be an azzhat!)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Hope makes some spacers for that caliper (looks like little Lego pieces) Also I believe the rotor size should be a 205mm not a 203mm. So with the spacers and a 205mm rotor it may work with little modifications.

lincolnturns

Chimp
Feb 2, 2009
Bolda, CO
Pretty psyched on the results. Looks REALLY clean and didn't remove too much material at all. Started by marking where it hit, rough grinding, smoothing it out all with the dremel, then sanded with some 800 and then 1200 and clear coated it. Mounted those bad boys up and I'm ready to roll.:thumb:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'd buy a brake that fits. Notching the frame would work, but you'll be SOL if it breaks. You will get zero warranty love and still have a frame and brake that don't mesh.