Quantcast

Hope mono m4 brakes ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Anyone running the Hope mono m4 brakes ?
How are they ?
Are they easy to set up and bleed and do they still need to be shimmed
or have they changed to the hayes type post mount style of mounting ?

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
they are great brakes, much easier to bleed than hayes. Both caliper types are available now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, they are easy to set up if you get the ones with the shims, becuase the post-mount brakes twist a little just like every hayes and avid caliper I've ever set up. You'll notice that when you go to tighten the brake bolts, that the caliper "twists" a little when tightening the bolt with post mounts. I like the shims because they are more definite, although they require good frame/fork alignment from the factory.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
They're crap. Ever since hope went to the mono style calipers i've been disappointed- Mono 6 ti's had less power and feel than my old silver M4s, and the Mono M4s i ran on my old 4x bike less powerful than my old minis. I was so disappointed in both sets that i replaced them with Hayes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They're great, much more reliable than my 2-piece hayes. I don't have much to say about em because they just always work.

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
Daver said:
They're crap. Ever since hope went to the mono style calipers i've been disappointed- Mono 6 ti's had less power and feel than my old silver M4s, and the Mono M4s i ran on my old 4x bike less powerful than my old minis. I was so disappointed in both sets that i replaced them with Hayes.
Did you have the silver backed pads (organic I think) or the gold backed ones? The silver backed ones gave me a lot more stopping power. Hell I can 1 finger brake and I weigh 250lbs riding a demo 9 close to 50lbs :eek:

I have fitted a set of Goodridge though to improve lever feel.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Chimponarope said:
Did you have the silver backed pads (organic I think) or the gold backed ones? The silver backed ones gave me a lot more stopping power. Hell I can 1 finger brake and I weigh 250lbs riding a demo 9 close to 50lbs :eek:

I have fitted a set of Goodridge though to improve lever feel.
Not sure mate- i ran the stock pads. Interestingly enough everyone i know who's tried Mono 6 tis has been dissappointed, same goes for the Mono M4s.

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
The 6's do take a long time to bed in (think its the sheer size of the pad) but having the right pad compound definitely made a huge difference in mine. Bought some of the new organics by Galfer recently but haven't tried them out yet since I've been pretty happy with the ones I've got in now at the moment.