Quantcast

Hope Mono M4's suck?

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
Well those are not my words, a couple of bud's were at BB racing this weekend and while in the lift line they had a short conversation with a DH pro. I forgot his name but can dig that out later on if needed. He had the Mono M4's front and rear, said they work ok on a shorter hill like BB but can and will fade on a longer DH run. Also said that back east there is no support at the races like Hayes.

Does this sound true? Any of you Hope riders having fading troubles? I have been planning on using a M4 front and a Mono Mini out back and the two freinds have been planning on tring a M6 in the front.

BillT

Monkey
I would imagine that fade issues are more related to pad selection as opposed to some inherent flaw with the calipers. I had EBC gold's on my Enduro 4's and they would fade on a long downhill where I'd drag the brakes alot but that was because the pad compound was specifically designed to be long lasting and not for downhill/high heat applications. I now use the EBC red's and while they don't last nearly as long as the gold's, their efficient operating temperature is much higher and I have yet to experience any fade at all.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by BillT
I would imagine that fade issues are more related to pad selection as opposed to some inherent flaw with the calipers. I had EBC gold's on my Enduro 4's and they would fade on a long downhill where I'd drag the brakes alot but that was because the pad compound was specifically designed to be long lasting and not for downhill/high heat applications. I now use the EBC red's and while they don't last nearly as long as the gold's, their efficient operating temperature is much higher and I have yet to experience any fade at all.
Greens also work well, not as grabby as the reds, but nice to get some use out of them before replacing. I was going through reds in 3-4 days @ Northstar.

BillT

Monkey
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Greens also work well, not as grabby as the reds, but nice to get some use out of them before replacing. I was going through reds in 3-4 days @ Northstar.
I haven't run the greens yet, but I may try them next. The golds that ran for about year still look pretty new.

Chris R

Chimp
Mar 17, 2004
North East England
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by narlus
so they should be stock on Hopes sold in the UK.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup.... They are :)

BillT

Monkey
As I live in Florida and only get to do anything resembling downhilling once or twice a year tops, I just run reds all the time. Just trail riding with the reds doesn't wear them out that quickly (unlike when I go out west and have to bring an extra set for a weeks worth of riding).

BigEBiker

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
that was me. they are really inconsistent and after a hard run on a longer trail they won't even lock up the wheels. the lever feel stays the same so it has something to do with the pads i think. other than that they work well, i just don't want to be in w. va and be stuck with a hole in the line and can't do anything about it. mark, why are you so interested in who said it anyways?

Ian

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Although I endorse the Hopes (had no trouble with mine yet), I think the key is: Don't drag your brakes and you won't notice fade; or don't use your brakes as much at all!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1

!!!!!!! 3-4 days???? damn i got an entire rainy season out of one set, and i did 20 races. must be the dust out there or something. i remember big bear the year it rained/snowed and the pads were good for like 2 runs, so i'm guessing its the dirt.

BigEBiker

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
yo mark, that sounds good, i'm already on the east coast getting ready for the open. i'll get you an address to ship the pads to. i'll pay you back when i get home, ~ a month. ps, i usually don't have problems dragging brakes, i'm pretty sure that's not it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by HGR Frucci
Although I endorse the Hopes (had no trouble with mine yet), I think the key is: Don't drag your brakes and you won't notice fade; or don't use your brakes as much at all!
Read: They are great brakes, as long as you don't use them.

Yugos are awesome cars, as long as you don't drive them.

I'm not trying to knock on you, that just came out sounding weak.