Quantcast

Hope Mono6 Ti

Myles

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
Montréal , Canada
Good day,

I have a question regarding the Mono6 rear caliper. I would like to know the distance between the two cap screws (part #16 and 17). Those two screws retains to the IS bracket. I'm asking because presently I have a floating brake system that is post-mount (on a 2004 Balfa BB7) and would have like to compare this distance to the one on my Hayes rear brake. I'm a bit fed up of my rear brake and would like to upgrade to a much more powerful brake.

What do you thinck?

Thanks alot for you help

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think if you have Hayes 8" and they're not powerful, you need to get your brakes looked at by a pro...

Not to say the MonoTi6 wouldn't be a cool upgrade, but that Hayes should lock up with a single finger.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I don't think that will work. The direct mount of the floater arm is so far out, that I don't see there being room for an adapter. One of the new Avid Juicy caliper's might fit. I haven't used them, but are the hope's supposed to be more powerful? I have always heard that the hopes offer superior modulation but that the hayes have more power overall.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
buildyourown said:
have always heard that the hopes offer superior modulation but that the hayes have more power overall.
My hopes modulate better than anything, and can lock up using my pinky finger while going fast with a 200lbs rider, more power than all my buddies hayes

and im almost certian that the adapter holes on the mono6 are not the same spacing as hayes

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
ViolentVolante said:
My hopes modulate better than anything, and can lock up using my pinky finger while going fast with a 200lbs rider, more power than all my buddies hayes

and im almost certian that the adapter holes on the mono6 are not the same spacing as hayes

Yeah but, being from Chicago, have you ever tryed them on a hill?
:p

Yeti-Freak

Chimp
May 3, 2002
Australia
i just got a mount made to fit them to my Yeti DH9... check it out. You could possibly get somthing similar made up..... All you need is a mate with some big machines that do stuff..... :-)

Attachments

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Damn, I wish my Mono 6 was that strong. I can't even do a nose manual now. Funny, I was telling one of the local shop mechanics that I just got Hopes and he told me that if he was "forced" to run Hopes the first thing he would do is pull the bleed screws out and put teflon tape on them as they are known for leaking.

I figured there was no way a brand new brake that goes for over $250 would have something that cheap ass going on but just to be sure I took a look at my front caliper, which I had only been running two days and sure enough there was fluid leaking very slowly out of the bleed screw and onto the pads. Nice, brand new brake and allready I need to pull the screw out, tape it, re-bleed them, and buy a new set of pads.

I'm running Hopes front and rear and they aren't nearly as strong as the Saints (I do prefer them to Hayes though) and while you're probably hear someone pipe up with a fix for any Hope problem you could have I've figured out that there are 300 different ways to make your Hopes work better because there are 300 different ways they can work crappy.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
every pair of hopes ive ever owned had a lack of power out of the box. Heres my fix;

use a propane torch and torch all of the pads for about 30 seconds. Get a med. grit sandpaper and sand down the pad surface just a bit. Then wash the pads and rotors good with rubbing alcohol on a towel. End result gets you super powerful brakes

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My method..................Bolt on and ride:D Actually my rear M6 came in with a bad bleed, but was quickly fixed. Out of the box Hayes are more powerful and stop better. Hopes need a few good long DH runs to peoperly break them in.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Sweet :D

My M4 on the rear just did just that. All four pads are worn different amounts, from one being gone, to another being almost new. Now I have to by a new set of pads (which nobody in town carries of course, and this is Whistler!) when only one is worn out.

Let me guess, there's a fix. Nice to know mine aren't the only ones that sucked out of the box but by the time you pay for them (allready spendy) then spend the time to fix them yourselves (bleed, sand, torch, pray, repeat) or have a shop do it they are way to friggen expensive.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Actually I'm not so sure that's the Hope's fault. I found out there was play in my rear hub. Maybe that made it so it wore funny? Gotta fix that.

I love my Hopes when they work properly. If I were good enough to work on them myself, I wouldn't complain at all. They just feel so much nicer than Hayes!

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
DLo said:
Actually I'm not so sure that's the Hope's fault. I found out there was play in my rear hub. Maybe that made it so it wore funny? Gotta fix that.

I love my Hopes when they work properly. If I were good enough to work on them myself, I wouldn't complain at all. They just feel so much nicer than Hayes!
With mine it's definitely the brake, you can watch as you squeeze the lever that the pistons don't push out at the same rate. Probably needs a rebuild or something but I'm hesitant to throw anymore money at them.

I wonder if this is why Hope went to two long pads on the six pots instead of six little pads?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
crashing_sux said:
With mine it's definitely the brake, you can watch as you squeeze the lever that the pistons don't push out at the same rate. Probably needs a rebuild or something but I'm hesitant to throw anymore money at them.

I wonder if this is why Hope went to two long pads on the six pots instead of six little pads?
With a screwdriver or 2 hold the good pistons back while you pump the lever, this will break these pistons free. After that hold back any piston till you get them moving in perfect harmony :thumb: You can do this with the wheel and pads in place, sometimes it helps to have someone else helping you.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
while you're probably hear someone pipe up with a fix for any Hope problem you could have I've figured out that there are 300 different ways to make your Hopes work better because there are 300 different ways they can work crappy.
ahgahahaaahahaa!!!!

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
crashing_sux said:

So is it possible that my rear hub had anything to do with it? Either way I should probably do a rebuild of both my brakes. Seems like it requires it once a year. I wondered about the 2 long pads as well, but I don't think that would make a difference? The entire pad itself would be worn unevenly then, right? I actually had one of my pads wear out once in a diagonal plane :confused: That was weird.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
DLo said:
I wondered about the 2 long pads as well, but I don't think that would make a difference? The entire pad itself would be worn unevenly then, right?
Hmm, my 03 M4s had the pads wear uneven once, but the M6s this year are wearing the 2 long pads evenly and on a level plane. Are the mono 4s still using 4 pads or just 2? Ive got one of those coming next week, along with a mini :D

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I must be the luckiest SOB on earth because my M4s worked great straight out of the box. It only took a couple of runs for them to wear in and now they stop great. I just put a 205mm rear rotor and I'm actually thinking of going back to the 185mm because it doesn't lock up as easy.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Joe Pozer said:
I must be the luckiest SOB on earth because my M4s worked great straight out of the box. It only took a couple of runs for them to wear in and now they stop great. I just put a 205mm rear rotor and I'm actually thinking of going back to the 185mm because it doesn't lock up as easy.
Yeah, but the question is, how long have you run them? :D Took me a little less than a year, and the rear started acting up.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
DLo said:
Yeah, but the question is, how long have you run them? :D Took me a little less than a year, and the rear started acting up.
Good point. I've had them for a year and a half so they lasted through a whole season at N* and five trips there so far this year. I'm not the fastest guy around but I've ridden my DH bike quite a bit the past couple of years and so far the brakes have been incredibly reliable. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. If I did, I place the blame on you :angry: :D

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Brian HCM#1 said:
With a screwdriver or 2 hold the good pistons back while you pump the lever, this will break these pistons free. After that hold back any piston till you get them moving in perfect harmony :thumb: You can do this with the wheel and pads in place, sometimes it helps to have someone else helping you.
I've tried that and had no luck. All of the pistons move, just not at the same rate. Seems like some are slower or weaker than the others.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
The Capitol H in Hope stands for hype ;) Haha just imagine if one of the pistons started acting funny irregularly good luck troubleshooting ;)
Avid juicies on the other hand... .Now your looking at some serious stopping power with least amount of movingparts = less energy wasted / cost .