Quantcast

Hope Pro II wtf.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Everyone I know that has these hubs love them, tout them as super reliable, tough, pretty, etc. I know there are people on here with these hubs, so chime in. Maybe some of you have experienced these issues and have a solution. No one I know has had any of the issues I've had. Spoke to a guy this weekend... 2 years, has never opened them up.

Mine have about 100 rides on them tops and are about 6 months old. So few because they are on my XC race bike... which shares ride time with 3 other bikes.

Rear: About 2 weeks from the build it developed a creak under power only. Turned out to be the hub, so I pulled it apart, greased the freehub with Park Synlube and put it back together... Noise gone. 2 weeks later it returned, so I did the same... noise gone. I've done this about 5 times now. Other than this noise, they are good, spin well, no lateral play in hub, no play in free hub.

Front: Developed lateral slop. I've had hubs do this before and it's almost always worn out bearings... but never this soon.

Any reccommendations? Do I have a pair of Lemons.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
What kind of cassette are you running? SRAM models creak between the smallest cog and the cassette body on nicer models. Noise might be disappearing every time you remove it.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
I would second what Uncle Cliffy said - the creaking is probably the cassette. Remove it, clean it, and liberally grease the spline before reinstalling. Then torque the sh!t out of it.

Never heard of any Pro IIs developing play like yours. I've been on a pair of them for like 6 years now. The front is still smooth. The inner bearings on the rear disintegrated about a year ago, I rebuilt it, it wasn't too hard.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Make sure the seal under the end cap on the non-drive side is seated fully. I was riding with a buddy a few weeks ago and out of nowhere it started squealing like crazy. Once we finally figured out what was going on it was an easy fix.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I have heard of issues with the rear 150mm hubs, but never the front. Personally I beat on mine for 2 1/2 years and never opened them.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I would second what Uncle Cliffy said - the creaking is probably the cassette. Remove it, clean it, and liberally grease the spline before reinstalling. Then torque the sh!t out of it.

Never heard of any Pro IIs developing play like yours. I've been on a pair of them for like 6 years now. The front is still smooth. The inner bearings on the rear disintegrated about a year ago, I rebuilt it, it wasn't too hard.
The front play thing is pretty common with hubs with press in bearings. Ive experienced it before on other hubs, but never after such a short amount of time.

The creak in the rear... i'm pretty certain it's not cassette. Pulling the Cassette cleaning greasing doesn't do the job... it also happens when the wheel is run singlespeed. Removing, cleaning and greasing of the freehub is the only way to stop the noise for any length of time.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
+1 on checking the cassette to freehub body interface, probably your problem. FWIW, I liked my Pro IIs but this multiple years without any work thing did not apply to me. I would destroy the inner bearings on the freehub body every 12-14 weeks with such regularity that I used to pre-order on that schedule. I also found their freehub bodies to be very, very soft in both alloy and steel flavors. I notched multiple steel bodies so badly that the cassettes could not be removed.

Hope's CS was decent though, will deal direct with customers & would ship me parts from Texas in 2-3 days (I'm in MA).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm on my porbably 12th set of Hope hubs since 1999 (I get new wheels semi-often). I have never had a problem with any of the except scaring on the Al hub body, but that's know because it's Al.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I had a creak in a non Hope hub that turned out to be a casette. It made the noise under power as you described. I just tightened the lock ring down more.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
What kind of cassette are you running? SRAM models creak between the smallest cog and the cassette body on nicer models. Noise might be disappearing every time you remove it.
I would second what Uncle Cliffy said - the creaking is probably the cassette.
+1 on checking the cassette to freehub body interface, probably your problem.
I had a creak in a non Hope hub that turned out to be a casette. It made the noise under power as you described. I just tightened the lock ring down more.
Is it the cassette????? :panic:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
i have worked on this hub many times trying to figure this problem on a friends Hope Pro II rear hubs. It is hard to tell if the bearings are seated during installation or replacement. If it is not fully seated it will rock in the knotch the bearing rests in. This then destroys the bearing and scores the axel. Also because of the ano the knotch is slightly out of spec, or to qualify just enoungh to make the OD of the bearing bind in the knotch. Get rid of the Ano and the creek is gone. I no longer work on this hub so I cannot say for certain it is a long term solution. The other problem is folks cannot install bearings properly. A bearing press is the only tool you should ever use to install a bearing. A socket and a hammer will surely eff up your chit....

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
i have worked on this hub many times trying to figure this problem on a friends Hope Pro II rear hubs. It is hard to tell if the bearings are seated during installation or replacement. If it is not fully seated it will rock in the knotch the bearing rests in. This then destroys the bearing and scores the axel. Also because of the ano the knotch is slightly out of spec, or to qualify just enoungh to make the OD of the bearing bind in the knotch. Get rid of the Ano and the creek is gone. I no longer work on this hub so I cannot say for certain it is a long term solution. The other problem is folks cannot install bearings properly. A bearing press is the only tool you should ever use to install a bearing. A socket and a hammer will surely eff up your chit....
I have a press. Ill pull the bearings and make sure they are seated properly. If this is it I'm betting it's the freehub side. As soon as I pull and grease the freehub the sound is gone.