Quantcast

Hope Prototype cranks spotted!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Oh my...

They look like RF, but they will actually stay on because they have a pinch bolt.
I'm thinking they must be BB30 with that aluminum spindle.
That one piece spider looks like it could take a hit too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The good: Retention/securing system like shimano. Thank god they see that as important. It's simple and not prone to wearing out/creaking like the truvativ/raceface/etc press-fit-interface.

The "meh": I-beam cranks (at least has a pretty cnced finish). Kind of like where race-face was 10+ years ago, a few manufacturers BESIDES shimano these days are now doing hollow metal cranks, along with a few others doing carbon fiber. Not that we need carbon fiber cranks, but the ole i-beam tends to be heavier for the same level of strength and stiffness compared to a hollow-forged design.

Still, pretty. Can't complain about any of my hope stuff.

(yes, there were forged kooka cranks, there were also ones CNCed completely from billet, I think those came a little later. I had some kookas and eventually bent them, but they were cool for a while).

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I think Kooka and many others were machined from billet and occasionally snapped. RaceFace was different in that they were forged, then cnc finished. They had a much better reputation for durability. Something about grain alignment.

P.S. Is a billet of aluminum made by pouring liquid into a mold (casting)?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
looks smaller then 104bcd
Good eye-it does look that way, but it's a bit harder to tell with the oversized spindle... But it would make sense- aren't these guys making a stepped freehub body for a smaller rear sprocket as well? I'd be stoked to be able to run a 30t up front as a 1x10 set up!

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Jad Cranks had these on 20" bikes and a few MTB's sick machine work.
Didn't these have a back plate bolted on so they were "hollow"? I remember that crazy mono tube bmx frame they came out with, and Dave Young testing it by catching his rear peg on a street sign at about eight feet up, man that was gnarly!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Didn't these have a back plate bolted on so they were "hollow"? I remember that crazy mono tube bmx frame they came out with, and Dave Young testing it by catching his rear peg on a street sign at about eight feet up, man that was gnarly!
The version I had had big holes drilled in the back. They ere like 8mm or maybe even 10mm in size and about 3 across.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
Looks like a 30t chainring in those pictures, and a 30t wont fit on 104 BCD so its definitely a smaller BCD, probably to work well with their 9-(whatever?) cassette/freehub body. Also my face when i saw the cranks.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Technically, yes, billet is cast. But what people are calling 'billet' that they are machining pieces from are probably most often extrusions.
Oh yeah, I forgot that billets always have marks on the end, looking like they were cut from an extrusion. Wouldn't that extruding process have the same beneficial effect on grain alignment that forging has? In either the case of CNC'd from billet (Kooka, Cook Brothers) or CNC'd from a forging (Race Face & every new crank), you're still putting a machined finish on a chunk of aluminum that was squeezed. Is a forged/CNC'd crank really stronger or was that just RaceFace marketing?

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Forged in theory would be stronger. The alum is pressed under extreme load and the mold is punched out. Where cnc'd from billet is carved out of a chunk of alum.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Looks like a 30t chainring in those pictures, and a 30t wont fit on 104 BCD so its definitely a smaller BCD, probably to work well with their 9-(whatever?) cassette/freehub body. Also my face when i saw the cranks.
I bet you are correct here...Because like you said a 30t won't work, super compact drivetrains are sick...I am all for this.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
The Hope site states that its a 32t chainring but looking at the pic of their ring and a 32t 104BCD ring that I have here their's does look like a smaller BCD. Great...more stuff to want...