Quantcast

Hopes Vs. Avids

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
It is definitely more powerful. It is not that noticeable to me because M4's are plenty of stopping power for my weight, but myself and guys that weigh 230 pounds that have ridden my bike can do stoppies with only one finger on the brake.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
WKC said:
It is definitely more powerful. It is not that noticeable to me because M4's are plenty of stopping power for my weight, but myself and guys that weigh 230 pounds that have ridden my bike can do stoppies with only one finger on the brake.
Uh, not to undermine your personal experience, but you said it yourself "it is not that noticeable..."

The M6ti's are NOT designed to be more powerful than the M4s. They are designed to modulate better (be a bit smoother and more predictable). They should be about equal in power, and either will be sufficient for heavier riders. In fact, most DH brakes have about the same level of power (mechanical advantage combined, assuming the same pad compound)... the big differences are in feel, lever shape/adjustment, and reliability/maintenance/ease-of-setup. With the exceptions of the Gustavs. Those are really powerful.

Tyman

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
Alberta, Canada
one of my friends has juicy sevens and another one has hopes.... i really like the juicys but the m4's arent bad at all.... i would say get the juicy's just because u can change the power instantly!

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Sorry dude, I'm just trying to help the guy out. The only reason I got the M6 was because the M4 will not fit my fork. Both the M4's and M6's are enough to throw me over the bars if I pinch them hard enough, which is why I said "it is not that noticeable, TO ME". I'm just saying that other riders that have ridden my bike that are quite heavy tell me that the M6's are definitely more powerful than the M4's. Regardless, both models are excellent brakes and I would not have any other setup.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i puta set of juicy 5's on my gemni and i love them but there is an issue with noise. any hole/wave in the rotor makes the brakes 'gurgle'. gotta buy some shimmano rotors soon. i can tell you that the juicys are supper easy and clean to bleed, but ihave almost no experince with hopes. you'll be happy eather way you go, both systems kick all mighty ass.