Quantcast

Horrible Trail Etiquette

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I saw this on MTBR first, but I think it is worthy for "debate" here.

Skip to 4:38 to see this "DHer" buzz a horseback rider.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
I wouldnt call it buzzing, he most certainly slowed down. However could he have slowed down more, yes. Keep in mind helmet cams make you look like you are going faster than you actually are. I think he could have slowed down a bit more but I dont think what he did was "horrible" either. "Horrible" would have been him not giving a damn and flying by the horse without slowing down.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I don't think that horse was spooked, if you watched closely the rider tugged on the left side reigns, which is why the horse jerked to the left. So the rider was pulling the horse out of the way of the bikers. And the bike rider slowed down a great deal. He could have stopped, but it looked like the equestrian and the biker visually acknowledged each other long before the pass.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am really surprised there is anyone who thinks passing a horse on a singletrack is a good idea.

It makes me wonder if those people have never ridden past a horse before.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
In the bike riders defense that was a relatively blind corner, there was a large bush that the horse was behind when the rider came around the corner. HOWEVER I always make sure to slow/stop and let the equestrian either wave me by or let them pass. We have horses up on the old ATV trails that we shuttle and I've had to bail through the woods a couple of times to aviod them. Still not horse a fan but they have as much right to be there as we do.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I dunno. I have multiple feelings on this issue.

A) I hate ponys on trails. HAAATE. For multiple reasons. Poo, erosion, ecosystem destruction, attitude, etc.

B) Members of the redneck Idaho side of my family who probably cumulatively own 100 horses have told me that if a horse can't deal with a bike passing them in close proximity, it shouldn't be out on public land.

C) I recognize that the equestrian lobby is extremely wealthy (and thankfully, dying out) and holds much sway over land managers and park services, therefore we must play nice.

Uncanoonuc

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
NH
The horse wa broadside across the trail on the other side of a blind corner. If he wa spooked and jumping around stopping there may not be safe either. Kind of a boring trail though...

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
If your horse cant deal with others on the trail it should not be on said trail. There are plenty of equine only trails they can use. On that note people do insist on riding green horses on trails. I always ALWAYS stop and let the equestrian pass. They have the right of way, as do hikers. I do on occasion take a mule onto local trails, but that is usually for doing some trail maintenance.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
poor trail ettiquette. I've seen firsthand what can go wrong with horse vs bike encounters. It'll take you 30 seconds to not make a scene. Dismount and take off your helmet.

Do I think cyclists should have to do this? no. Its just that most equestrian riders are dumb rich b*tches who couldn't tell their snatch from a gopher hole, and its not worth getting into an argument with someone who has the IQ of a rutabaga. As Ron White said, you can't fix stupid.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yes that was bad trail etiquette. The descending trails around here are built on steeper side slopes than that particular one, so the likelihood of a horse falling off trail and rider and horse dying are possible.

Also that is not a DHer or that a downhill trail for the record, just because you're running a full face...

Anyways what should have happened is that rider should have stopped, dismounted his bike, and calmly talked to rider and horse. But it wouldn't surprise me if that person is oblivious or doesn't care. Could be he was wrapped up in making one of the most boring videos of mountain biking i've ever watched.

Yes the horse lobby is strong, they are in Wilderness and we are not. Could be that they are well organized and do perform quite of bit of trail work other than being "rich".

Not going to argue their impacts, but not going to ally myself with a biker bitchfest about them either, particularly considering this particular thread, video, and comments therein. If i was an equestrian i'd pass the link of this thread around and laugh at the stupidity, but most i'm sure would get quite pissed.

Last edited:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I agree many equestrians are rich a holes. But when they are signing checks to you for feed delivery, and mucking stalls that take take very little time, you cant complain. Most of the rich snotty ones ride english, western riders are pretty laid back.

Monkey
I have come close to being stomped and killed by horses on two seperate occasions, both times I stopped and was waiting for the horses to pass. The women(both times) riding scolded me for scaring the horse when I came within inches of being stepped on by a horse.

No amount of courtesy can cure the ineptitude and incompetence of rich "equestrians" in california.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
He was lucky to have that encounter at that wide section of the trail. That could have been way worse. Although nothing compares to the etiquette in that french alp video posted a while back.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have no problem with horses. They are beautiful, noble animals. The horse riders, on the other hand...

And yeah, pretty lame "DH" trail too. Looks like something Partsy and I used to single speed on. Guy probably drinks Diet Mt Dew. And listens to Air Supply. Totally non extreme.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I do on occasion take a mule onto local trails, but that is usually for doing some trail maintenance.
"trail maintenance" is that what kids are calling it nowadays?

The video was no longer available, so I could not watch it. I do agree that if your horse is spooked by a bike rider or other trail user you should not be on the trails. I once spooked a horse on my road bike. The horse and rider were on the other side of a two lane road and about 50 feet off the road. This was in a county park that was fairly popular. I did not feel sorry at all when I passed and saw the horse start freaking out. Why would you ever take such a skittish horse into a park that sees lots of traffic?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
btw, that guy who posted the vid deleted all the comments after I posted something about how riders who think they are rolling A-Line when they riding weenie XC trails ruin it for everyone.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
if that had been me and my old horse Porter that DH would have been pedalling for his life as we chased his ass down the trail. No my horse wouldn't have spooked and as an old Rodeo Pick up horse he kind of liked racing Mt bikes on the trail. It would be me seriously pissed off going after his ass to give him the what for. Wonder how he would feel with a 1000 pound horse a couple inches off his backside at 35 mph

Craw4x4PH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
Yeah, from the video it looked like the biker slowed down considerably, and when he saw the equestrian pulling the horse away from the track both to clear the way and keep him and his horse safe the biker seemed to think it was safe to continue.

But then again since a horse is a living creature it can be unpredictable when spooked. We couldn't really see the line of sight of the biker, maybe the horse has been moved farther away than what we can see so he decided it was safe to continue without doing a full stop.

Monkey
if that had been me and my old horse Porter that DH would have been pedalling for his life as we chased his ass down the trail. No my horse wouldn't have spooked and as an old Rodeo Pick up horse he kind of liked racing Mt bikes on the trail. It would be me seriously pissed off going after his ass to give him the what for. Wonder how he would feel with a 1000 pound horse a couple inches off his backside at 35 mph
that would make you a psychopath.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
To be honest, if there's a ton of room and I can get around the horse quickly and out of the damned things way, I would probably try to avoid slowing down just to spend the least time possible around the horse - so long as it doesn't endanger anyone in the parties of anyone besides the horse rider. If the horse is poorly trained and skittish, it is their problem. I hate being anywhere NEAR privately owned horses that are not trained and get skittish. If I come across them on narrow singletrack, I've been known to climb up or down the hillside well out of the horses range because I don't trust them as far as I could kick them.

That said, he came pretty friggin' close to the horse in that vid, like within kicking distance easily. More importantly, he also endangered his riding buddy behind him.

No pity for the guy on the horse though. Again, if he hasn't trained his horse properly, then he has nobody but himself to blame when he's taken for a joyride.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I think a few people are have lost sight of 2 facts. IMBA policy is that the mountian bikers stop and let the horse pass when meeting on the trail. The second is if the horse had bucked and the person riding the horse was hurt the trail could end up being closed. If you do not stop and make way for a horse on the trail you are wrong and creating more people against MT bikers

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
The trails I ride on often in Philly were horse trails long before anyone ever thought of putting fat tires on a bike... so we show horses a great deal of respect. As for "training" a horse... well how do you expect the horse to gain experience with sharing a trail with bikes? Hypnosis? Be real. It gains experience like anyone else - by doing. To assume a horse should be trained to be on a mutli-use trail is just stupid. Perhaps that day IS part of the training...

I always stop when I see a horse on the trail, regardless of how much room there is. If the rider says it's fine to pass, then I say 'thank you' and proceed. Most I've encountered are greatful for the courtesy. The simple fact is they are sitting 8 feet off the ground on - and at the mercy of - a large animal that by nature tend to skittish and easily spooked. While most wear helmets these days, that's still a long fall and bone-breaking injury is almost guaranteed.

As one of my horse-owning friends once told me, "Big beautiful animal... tiny little brain..."

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I think a few people are have lost sight of 2 facts. IMBA policy is that the mountian bikers stop and let the horse pass when meeting on the trail. The second is if the horse had bucked and the person riding the horse was hurt the trail could end up being closed. If you do not stop and make way for a horse on the trail you are wrong and creating more people against MT bikers
Yup. We don't meet horses on our trails often, but I definitely pay them respect...they are beautiful animals and I would hate to be the reason someone lost a trail or even worse, got injured because I couldn't take a minute to do the right thing.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
It's very cut & dry.

Horses spook easily, get off your bike well in advance and asked the rider if it's okay to walk your bike past the horse.

Remember,, the equestrians usually have the money and the backing to get the mountain bikes off the trails. So respect them whether or not they deserve it, it could go a long way in keeping the trails for everyone's enjoyment.

Living here in the hippie capitol of the world, you have to learn to play by the rules. As much as it does suck big time.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
B) Members of the redneck Idaho side of my family who probably cumulatively own 100 horses have told me that if a horse can't deal with a bike passing them in close proximity, it shouldn't be out on public land.

Not just the redneck lobby - that seems to be the attitude of people who have working horses ( ie, trained trail horses, pack horses, horses that haul out dead elk and so on) over large, expensive pets. This isn't license to spook them of course; it just shows a range of attitude.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
It's very cut & dry.

Horses spook easily, get off your bike well in advance and asked the rider if it's okay to walk your bike past the horse.

Remember,, the equestrians usually have the money and the backing to get the mountain bikes off the trails. So respect them whether or not they deserve it, it could go a long way in keeping the trails for everyone's enjoyment.

Living here in the hippie capitol of the world, you have to learn to play by the rules. As much as it does suck big time.

Large, expensive pets spook easily. A solid, well trained to be bullet proof (literally, not shying from guns etc) horse does not spook at anything.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I look at it this way, I'm out there to enjoy my hobby and enjoy being in the wilderness. I would hate to have my ride ruined because someone else was too lazy to slow down and/or give a little space for both of our sakes, or some crazy hiker jump out in the middle of the trail causing me to crash. Its just plain mutual respect. Give it, and you'll get it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I wasn't trying to justify it. I was just recalling a couple incidents where a hiker literally jumped out in front of me or whoever was in front in my group to give us a lecture. Nowhere else would you encounter that kind of retarded-ness.

Douche or no douche, I just do whatever it takes to keep my proximity to a skittish big animal to a minimum for a minimum amount of time. I could be standing still letting the horse pass and something else entirely could spook the thing and I'd get fvcked. I've seen that happen too. Big reason why I simply just avoid the things as much as I can, regardless of what rules are in place. Not saying I agree with what the dude in the video did at all though, that was somewhat careless and dumb.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wasn't trying to justify it. I was just recalling a couple incidents where a hiker literally jumped out in front of me or whoever was in front in my group to give us a lecture. Nowhere else would you encounter that kind of retarded-ness.

Douche or no douche, I just do whatever it takes to keep my proximity to a skittish big animal to a minimum for a minimum amount of time. I could be standing still letting the horse pass and something else entirely could spook the thing and I'd get fvcked. I've seen that happen too. Big reason why I simply just avoid the things as much as I can, regardless of what rules are in place. Not saying I agree with what the dude in the video did at all though, that was somewhat careless and dumb.
Thanks for the clarification. :cheers:

The bottom line is, the cycle of animosity between the use groups needs to stop. Sometimes hikers are in the wrong, sometimes cyclists, sometimes equestrians. Sometimes its all of the above. It's the self-righteous a$$holes who need to realize that they are only perpetuating the animosity (and in a growing number of unfortunate cases, violence). Once they realize how crucial it is to share the limited resources in these areas (private land is a different story), incidences of use group vs use group will become the exception, not the rule.