Quantcast

Hot Sauce

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
yes, sort of.
In my family there is a long history of pepper addicts. My bro and my cousin both have large gardens and take bushels of the most delicious and freakin hot peppers every year. We actually cook with many of them, but for about 90% of them they end up dried out and go into the garage pepper blender to make shake.

This stuff is the goods ... believe it.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Right now I use Texas Pete, not too hot but a decent taste. I did grow a bunch of hot peppers though, Thai Dragon, Cayenne, and Habanero and would like to make my own hot sauce. anyone have a good recipe for how to make hot sauce?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I like Trappey's "Red Devil" the best for all around it has a great flavor and just enough kick... I use it for everything (and I mean it... I have it on my desk here at school so I can put it on everything! )

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Arizona Peppers.

It's so good. Nice and hot, low vinegar. I have searched high and low for decent hot sauces and the chipotle Hab and the straight up Hab sauces are both goood.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Cholula is the perfect hot sause as far as I'm concerned.
Thank you Sandwich for turning me on to that one.
Carolina is a very close (super cheapo, $1!!) substitute.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I haven't found the ideal one yet. Cholula is excellent, but not hot enough. I bought a bottle of Dave's Total Insanity Sauce, that is annoyingly hot and doesn't have enough flavor. So the search continues.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Cholula is the perfect hot sause as far as I'm concerned.
Thank you Sandwich for turning me on to that one.
Carolina is a very close (super cheapo, $1!!) substitute.
cholula is great, but sometimes its a bit too mexican for all eats! but I dig it too!

there is also a sweet chili sauce that has a kick that I like a bunch called Mae Ploy...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I made a Tabasco style sauce last year using Habanero's (home grown) in place of the Tabasco peppers that turned out quite good. It tends to separate after sitting, so it doesn't look very good until you shake it, but the color and flavor is awesome.

It has an eerie yellow/orange glow to it that makes it look like some freak atomic waste or something.

For store bought, I like this stuff. It's about $2 a bottle and has good flavor as well.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I made a Tabasco style sauce last year using Habanero's (home grown) in place of the Tabasco peppers that turned out quite good. It tends to separate after sitting, so it doesn't look very good until you shake it, but the color and flavor is awesome.

It has an eerie yellow/orange glow to it that makes it look like some freak atomic waste or something.
Baby puke hot sauce - my uncle has made his own too:twitch:

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Cholula is a great sauce I'll agree. Especially on my morning eggs.
For general eats, I also like Picamas. The Baltimore heads will know what I mean.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
If you guys like your foods spicey and like BBQ. I'd HIGHLY recommend Mad Dog's Ultra hot BBQ sauce. It has amazing flavor and yet is still hot as hell without taking away from the flavor. Mad Dogs regular is still spicy enough.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I use Tabasco for every day cooking but I find that home made hot sauce is the best for when you wanna show off.
Just get a nice little glass bottle, pour in some Jack Daniels, throw in a variety of Spanish and other Chile peppers and pepperballs or whatever you call the little round pepper thingys.
Then let it sit in the closet for a couple months until its ready and serve it with anything.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
cholula was my old go to. Love it. A little more character than tobasco, hot but not too hot.

I've tried mountain man, it's great stuff but it's very hot and has a very smokey flavor...it's almost overpowering for many foods. Not bad in chili, but that's kind of it.

My new baby is Grace Hot Pepper Sauce.
http://www.hotsauceworld.com/grachotpepsa.html
It's so good, 1.59 and it's hotter than tobasco but has a more peppery taste than cholula. For cheapo thin hot sauce, it's awesome.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Huy Fong Chili Garlic is pretty tasty, though the spice level varies from jar to jar.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I eat way too much hot sauce to really have a favorite.
I usually have about 10 bottles of sauce in the fridge at a time.

I often make my own because it's so cheap and fun and tastey.

Last night I made Jamacian Sun Shine.
Seven Habaneros
Three Cloves Garlic
1/2 cup of Vinegar
2 Jalapenos
Couple tablespoons of All Spice
Couple Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
Heat on stove for 5 or so minutes, blend well. use with caution..;)

And I made Mango Sweet Love
1/2 cup frozen Pineapple
2 cups frozen Mangos
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar
7 or so Habaneros
3 or so Jalapenos
2 or so Cloves Garlic
Salt/Pepper
Heat on stove for five, blend well. YUMMY!