Quantcast

housing market

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It's kind of what I figured; most of the cities are right here in California. It doesn't surprise me in the least that Santa Barbara is the number one spot. A real esate agent once said that you can't touch anything in Santa Barbara for less than a million dollars.

On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised that Oxnard made the top 20...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Brian HCM#1 said:
It's WAY over priced, but CA is the best state!!!!
I agree with that, I have lived in California my whole life, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I've been to other states, and none compare to California...IMO.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Brian HCM#1 said:
It's WAY over priced, but CA is the best state!!!!
I have thoroughly enjoyed the little bit of time I have spent out there. :) Southern Cal had too much traffic though. Traffic on the highways, traffic on the backroads, traffic in the suburbs. Meh.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I Are Baboon said:
I have thoroughly enjoyed the little bit of time I have spent out there. :) Southern Cal had too much traffic though. Traffic on the highways, traffic on the backroads, traffic in the suburbs. Meh.
Yeah, the traffic is out of control here in the Los Angeles area. On the other hand, I love the riding out here and the weather is usually pretty nice year round...

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
You guys seen this?

linky

This show shows what you can buy around the country. 5 bedroom in one city is a studio apartment in another kinda thing. They also talk about the appreciation in the areas. One house (San Fran area) had appreciated 20% per year for the past 5 years. :eek:

Talk about adding fuel to the fire. It makes it sound like speculation is a great way to plan for your financial future.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Andyman_1970 said:
The bubble is going to burst......................
I hope so. Then I can swoop in and buy someone elses dream real cheap after they file bankruptcy.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i hear ya there Laura.

most of those people moving to LA and surrounding areas must be moving there for that awesome and healthy air quality.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Andyman_1970 said:
The clock is ticking on that whole over inflated market............tick tick tick tick
:stupid:

I think there's a very good chance that a large number of people who expect their house investment to pay for other things down the road are going to be very dissapointed.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
berkshire_rider said:
:stupid:

I think there's a very good chance that a large number of people who expect their house investment to pay for other things down the road are going to be very dissapointed.
Do people *really* expect their house to be a "real" investment.

It's a decent asset to have, but as an investment, housing has historically been just mediocre from an appreciation aspect.

Of course, don't ask the people who have lived on the gravy train the last ~10 years. :D

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I think there are more than one monkey on here that view their house and an investment, at least in the Bay area.

I saw Bend OR was listed as "needing a correction" - if that's the case maybe we will be able to move up there with what I've been offered jobwise up there..........one of these days.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
SkaredShtles said:
Do people *really* expect their house to be a "real" investment.

It's a decent asset to have, but as an investment, housing has historically been just mediocre from an appreciation aspect.

Of course, don't ask the people who have lived on the gravy train the last ~10 years. :D
Yes. I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but I know of some people locally, who have indicated they expect the value of their house to increase enough to pay some/all of the kids college expenses or pay off debt. I think it's more common then you may realize especially in over-valued markets. At some point, all of the people who are willing to pay big bucks for a new house will become more exhausted, and the market prices will not be sustainable. I could be wrong, and only time will tell.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
berkshire_rider said:
Yes. I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but I know of some people locally, who have indicated they expect the value of their house to increase enough to pay some/all of the kids college expenses or pay off debt. I think it's more common then you may realize especially in over-valued markets. At some point, all of the people who are willing to pay big bucks for a new house will become more exhausted, and the market prices will not be sustainable. I could be wrong, and only time will tell.

really? what is thier plan/where will this $ come from...selling the house? or remortgaging it?

I could see the market leveling off, but burst......not gonna happen(IMO)

Dont forget people renting aparts, will have rent increases year after year, mortgages stay the same.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
It's hard to see a burst in the future just because there are so many people who would sell their kids to buy a house in Cali based on supply and demand I don't see a resolution any time soon

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
firetoole said:
It's hard to see a burst in the future just because there are so many people who would sell their kids to buy a house in Cali based on supply and demand I don't see a resolution any time soon
Like when wages increase at X and housing appreciates at X + 5? With "5" being a number completely picked at random.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Andyman_1970 said:
I think most are counting on selling their investments...........
...Thats where it gets interesting... sell... and then what?

I have seen that most people who are living in bubble-land (Boston/SoCal/Phoenix, etc.) would have no interest in moving to Texas, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. So, that leaves them with a truckload of cash at the sale point, but then they have to spend that truckload on another place in a comparable environment...

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
...where the study estimates they should be based on historic price data, area income, mortgage rates and population density.
It would be nice if they expanded on this... All this study tells me right now is that National City Corp. (whoever that is) thinks prices should be at a certain point. I'm skeptical because Santa Ana is Orange County's first entry. (???)