Quantcast

how are hope M4 brakes? ( the older polished ones)?

Jun 21, 2006
I got a set of them on a bike I bought and wondered if I should run them?

I am looking for somthing powerfull and reliable in the wet and dry.

your input would be appriciated.

J

J5ive

Well, according to a lot of people they are better than the new models. So I guess that says something? As long as the pads are fresh and the oil is clean- they should have plent of bite and feel.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
They're the best brakes ever- much more power and feel than hope's current offerings. Powerful and they aren't affected by the conditions- the only drawback is the squeal.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Dang, I rode the old silver M4 brakes for a solid 6 months, and they were the worst pieces of sht brakes I've ever used. Even with a good bleed, the front brake would randomly stop working, and the rear brake faded way worse than my HFX 9's. I would recomend throwing them off the tallest mountain in your county, then farting in their general direction. At least that's what the scars on my arms from having them go out on me would recomend...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
my m4's have been fantastic as well. i guess they're about 3 years old now, and they've been problem-free. i seem to recall the original pads being squealers, but they've been noise free since the pads were replaced (i've been using ebc's). i'd say the old brakes are on par with my new monos.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
They are the best brakes ever.

I have only ever had one issue with them, which was caused by water in the fluid cos I am slack with maintenance. Cured by a damn good bleed. :)

Also mine dont squeel unless its really really dusty, for some odd reason.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
Mine are 4 years old and problem free.
only had one issue once , with a hole in one of the membranes.
I took them off BB7 and installed them on the Sunday I bought a year ago.
They are very good in my opinion and those who say otherwise just had maintenance problems like old fluid and bad bleed done.

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
problem i m having with my M4:
1. it squeal
2. faded (i hv no time to troubleshoot yet, only cleaned disc with alcohol with no help)

i dont know sud i recommend this brake or not, but my case may b isolated issue

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ckooi, you need to rebleed them

i still have 2 sets of these wonderful brakes. just re-bled a set cause of the fading feel. works better now

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
partsbara said:
as i ve said before... the best brakes i ve ever ridden... the old dh04 / e4
In really like mine too...

with the pro lever...
Pro lever = the master cilinder with the round top and the adjuster....???

I love those very much, after all the are radial master cilynders and does not get better than that...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
patineto said:
In really like mine too...

Pro lever = the master cilinder with the round top and the adjuster....???

I love those very much, after all the are radial master cilynders and does not get better than that...
funny you say that i was just trying to find a picture... seems hope call this the pro lever now..

if i remember correctly, this was once labeled as the sport lever... perhaps brian will chime in...

i ll run down to the garage and take a snap of the pro lever i m talking about... closed system... the one above is open and you can dial in the pads... personally i don t liek that lever...

hang on a sec

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I ran them for 3 years and sold them with my old bike.. one of the cylinders was getting sticky at that point and I only replaced pads, no bleeds nothing. Ran great for me... good modulation and plenty of power. I have the version before the Mono-4's with the current lever design.
My friend has the version prior to that with the lever shown above and has run the for 5 years now, they did squeal a little but it was fixed with facing the mounts.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
kinda hard to tell, but maybe it s the same as the lever i m about to post... just with a different top cap... i love the feel of these levers

best lever ever if ya ask me... these brakes are keepers for sure... occasionally you can find a set on ebay for cheap... they are a little heavier that most offerings these days but by god they are good... i prefer them easily over the hope6 pots i had...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
partsbara said:
funny you say that i was just trying to find a picture... seems hope call this the pro lever now..

if i remember correctly, this was once labeled as the sport lever... perhaps brian will chime in...

i ll run down to the garage and take a snap of the pro lever i m talking about... closed system... the one above is open and you can dial in the pads... personally i don t liek that lever...

hang on a sec
That is also a "Pro lever" It's just for the C2 caliper "Closed system" It's the identical lever from the outside as the open lever (non adjusting), the inside of the reservoir is different.

Jun 7, 2006
Been running hope mini's and the new style Mono M4's for a while now. Really fantastic brakes. I think that 90% of the problems I've seen reported are due to setup or lack of maintenance.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Brian HCM#1 said:
That is also a "Pro lever" It's just for the C2 caliper "Closed system" It's the identical lever from the outside as the open lever (non adjusting), the inside of the reservoir is different.
wasn t that once called the 'sport' lever ?? the little dial in the middle turns to adjust the pads yeah ??

as a hope ride for nearly 10 years brian, i must say i m enjoying my j7s... just an observation, not provoking sh1t... but those dh04 / e4s with the pro lever will hold a proud place on my new nomad :thumb:

sick brakes...

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
partsbara said:
kinda hard to tell, but maybe it s the same as the lever i m about to post... just with a different top cap... i love the feel of these levers

best lever ever if ya ask me... these brakes are keepers for sure... occasionally you can find a set on ebay for cheap... they are a little heavier that most offerings these days but by god they are good... i prefer them easily over the hope6 pots i had...

also a beautyful side-effect of a "Close" hydrolic sistem (No Air inside or a expansion chamber only DOT fluid) is that you can run them Upside down if you need to, like I did for my tandem brakes...

plus the brake mount piston (radial, a.k.a. perpenticular to the handlebar) or the brake hose do not Protrude, stick out to far, interfere with the shift lever or anything else.

and then to complete the little adjuster at the top of the cilinder let you control the drag of the pads so you have very little friction (spin one way the pad retract, spin the other way you have more fluid on the line and a really hard lever feel, this also help when the brakes get hot since the fluid expand and change the feel of the lever..

More pictures here if you are interested

lamolamont

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
WHITINSVILLE, MA
I have a really nice set of these, front and rear, plus the wheels to go with them. Hope bulb hubs and hope 2 piece rotors. I may sell if someone was intrested? Let me know

Rossco224

Chimp
Jul 22, 2006
England
My friends has a set on his patriot. 185mm f/r i think. They have a few issues. The levers make funny noises, Brass bush of-course.
Get the mounts faced. Best £15 you can ever spend. Ide run them over any other no hope brake. Far superior. Hayse and the rest are just rubbish. And before anyone attacks, Forget Every Thing And Remember. There cheap as chips over here. Wink