Quantcast

How big should the jump be to start throwing tricks

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
I have hit some jumps and tried to throw a little bit of table and flair style into my jumping. But how big a jump, height and gap do you guys suggest for trying tricks, no-footers, no handers, etc.

mtbfeed

Chimp
May 3, 2007
alot of people can throw tricks off 2 foot jumps, it just depends... 3-4 ft. jumps should be a good size for learning easier tricks though like what u mentioned.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea like mtbfeed said kats that are skilled can do tricks on small jumps or hips. I started doing my first trick on this 4' tall dub with a 7' gap. It gave me a lot of air time to belt out whatever I could dish. Now that I'm more comfortable and can boost pretty decent I'll rock a 3 on a small 2' dirt mound.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yea like mtbfeed said kats that are skilled can do tricks on small jumps or hips. I started doing my first trick on this 4' tall dub with a 7' gap. It gave me a lot of air time to belt out whatever I could dish. Now that I'm more comfortable and can boost pretty decent I'll rock a 3 on a small 2' dirt mound.
that is probably the best response you will get. however the most important thing is that u are COMFORTABLE and u can get over easy

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was doing no-footers off a 9" lip (piece of firewood) over a 2' campfire last weekend. Once you are comfortable with the tricks (which are learned more easily with more air time), you will be able to go bigger with them and smaller.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah I don't have a huge bag of tricks but the best way is to find a jump somewhere in the middle of your comfort zone. You want plenty of air time when you're learing new tricks, but not something so huge you're hanging on for dear life. Once you get em dialed it becomes easier to make it happen on smaller stuff.

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
most bmx guys can do 360s on flat...you really dont need that big of a jump, just dont make it to lippy, or foam pits!!!!!!! <3

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Sometimes you don't need much for tricks:

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/RADDOG/?action=view&current=lastdayatcj033.flv

Granted it's Scotty Cranmer and he could prolly do most of his tricks riding thru a swamp.
D'OH!

and how do I find this magical swamp to teach me how to do tricks like that? j/k, but yeah, he can pull anything, just about anywhere, very true it seems.

haha, crazy stuff, absolutely so far beyond me it's insane... If I could just do one tailwhip on one roller, I'd be more than a happy man.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i'd suggest a jump thats got at least a bike-lenght gap, landing and launch. maybe 2-3' tall. bigger is better as long as your comfortable with it. if your not, you're gona have a hard time with the tricks.

Apr 26, 2007
u gotta be conferitible man im a freerider and i also BMX a little on the side and i can tailwhip (witch i am extreamly proud of) and i learned on a 3ft jump so yeah wat ever feels confertible later

peace