Quantcast

How Bikes Get Their Names ?!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
SWD = Steve W. DeLay, though he is short and white
Yep it’s the guy’s initials. They did mention people calling it Short White Dude as a joke at the end of the article though from what I remember.

His frames Crazy 8 (it’s an 8 inch travel bike) and the 6 Gun (6 inch travel bike) are pretty self explanatory.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Does this mean the Intense SOCOM rides best up a beach at night in foreign countries?

So what does SGS mean? (like my 2004 Iron Horse DH bike)
Super G-Spot

G-Spot was the name of an eariler IH full suspension bike.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Negative, ghostrider. The Demos got their name cuz Specialized wanted to design a bike that would allow riders such as Darren Berrecloth and Kyle Strait to "demonstrate" what could be done on a mountain bike. Seriously.
I've heard Demo forest as well, from a Specialized employee. Not saying which is correct, just what I've heard.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I'd like to know who Preston is of Transition's PrestonFR.
since someone renewed this thread..

preston is the name of a local trail here in the seattle area. Actully Preston Railraod Trail..it is a very common weekend warrior type trail. 45min SLOG up a fire road and then lots of super fun waterbar switchback single track....also has a river down the middle of the trail about 8-9 months or the year.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Orange was based on the fact that they had a bike to cover all riding disciplines, hence "all round range" became "range" preceeded by some "all round" object, hence an "O" and oh, waddya know...

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
at least yeti's bike names make sense. the 303 is named after the area code out there, as-x stands for "active suspension extreme", as-r stands for "active suspension racing" and DJ and 4X are easy. how about the knolly names though? v-tach? delerium-t?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
at least yeti's bike names make sense. the 303 is named after the area code out there, as-x stands for "active suspension extreme", as-r stands for "active suspension racing" and DJ and 4X are easy. how about the knolly names though? v-tach? delerium-t?
medical terms

Delirium tremens (colloquially, the DTs, "the horrors", "the shakes" or "rum fits") is an acute episode of delirium that is usually caused by withdrawal or abstinence from alcohol following habitual excessive drinking. Delirium tremens can also appear after a rapid reduction in the amount of alcohol being consumed by heavy drinkers, or as a complication of withdrawal from benzodiazepines or barbiturates. It only occurs in individuals with a history of constant, long-term alcohol consumption. Delirium tremens typically manifests about 18 to 24 hours after discontinuation of alcohol consumption, but can appear on the second or third day of abstinence

Ventricular tachycardia (V-tach or VT) is a fast rhythm that originates in one of the ventricles of the heart. This is a potentially life-threatening arrhythmia because it may lead to ventricular fibrillation and sudden death.