Quantcast

How can if find out?

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
Anybody have any ideas how to figure out the year and specs on my bike. It's a rigid cromoly Specialized Hardrock, silver and red in color. I bought it in 2000, but it might be older than that. I want to know if it fits a 1 1/8" steerer tube, without taking apart the headset. The Specialized website is less than useful, the owners manuel is for every bike specialized makes...

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
mtbr doesn't have any useful information. I'm thinking the bike is a 2000, but I can't tell, the bike in the picture is a different color. I've replaced almost everything but the frame and fork and handlebars, and I don't know what those parts were before I broke them, so there are no clues there.

Any other ideas?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
does it have a threadless headset/stem?

If so it's probably 1 1/8. If it's threadless just take off the top cap and measure the inside diameter of the stem.

If it's threaded then it's more likely 1". You can just measure the threaded part of the steer tube above the locknut.

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Originally posted by sub6
does it have a threadless headset/stem?

If so it's probably 1 1/8. If it's threadless just take off the top cap and measure the inside diameter of the stem.

If it's threaded then it's more likely 1". You can just measure the threaded part of the steer tube above the locknut.
Word, what he said...

Renntag

Monkey
May 20, 2003
not sure, its dark
The MOST COMMON size regardless if its threaded or not is 1-1/8".

Take the top cap off if its threadless and measure the outside diameter of the steerer or the inside of the stem, even the inside diameter of the spacers if it has any.

If its threaded, remove the stem from the fork and measure ( approximately ) the outside diameter of the threaded steerer.

This is an elementary procedure.

What are you trying to do that you need this info? If you are planning an upgrade, you will need to take it apart anyway.

~q

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by Renntag

What are you trying to do that you need this info? If you are planning an upgrade, you will need to take it apart anyway.

~q
Thanks for your help.

I am planning on putting on a suspension fork, but since this is my commuter ride as well as my trail bike, I don't want to put it out of commision for any period of time. I haven't bought a new (well, probably it'll be used but new to me) fork because I'm not sure about the measurements. I think the 1 1/8" standard was just being instituted about the time I got the bike. I'm not that great a mechanic (I try) but I'd figured on having the shop install the fork.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by maml
I think the 1 1/8" standard was just being instituted about the time I got the bike. I'm not that great a mechanic (I try) but I'd figured on having the shop install the fork.
That standard was pretty widespread by 1994 or so...

Renntag

Monkey
May 20, 2003
not sure, its dark
Thanks for your help.

I'm not that great a mechanic (I try) but I'd figured on having the shop install the fork.
Where do you live? Are you in DC Metro area? Some of us are willing to help out for 6/12 pack of good beer and filet mignon...( if that helps at all)............. :cool:

I have a couple extra headsets, one is brand new, and a fork I may consider selling. There are TONS of forks for sale online. I think corey has one for sale too. Just get someting cheap and ride it.

~q

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by Renntag
Where do you live? Are you in DC Metro area? Some of us are willing to help out for 6/12 pack of good beer and filet mignon...( if that helps at all)............. :cool:

I have a couple extra headsets, one is brand new, and a fork I may consider selling. There are TONS of forks for sale online. I think corey has one for sale too. Just get someting cheap and ride it.

~q
Portland ME, sorry to say. Thanks for the invite though. I've been looking at forks online, and there are some pretty damn good ones going for not a whole lot on ebay, and I've seen some other deals around too. The frame is a rock and the rest of my components are pretty good, so I figure a decent fork and I'll be rockin' the State of Maine.

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
Originally posted by sub6
That standard was pretty widespread by 1994 or so...
Really, cool. I've noticed a lot of late 90's 1" forks for sale, so I thought that was the changeover time. But then, maybe that's just why people are unloading them in no reserve ebay auctions.

Renntag

Monkey
May 20, 2003
not sure, its dark
There are tons of forks for sale. I just sold 2 forks in the last couple weeks and I am considering selling another couple I have kickin around.

Confirm your headset size first. It is really easy to figure out, and if you are uncertain, bring it to your LBS. If they cant/ wont help you, well then, Dont go back. Most bike shops should be able to tell you quickly what size your headset/ steerer is.

Good luck.
~q

maml

Chimp
May 19, 2003
This is a really helpful forum. I posted a similar question of mtbr and got zero replies. You guys rock.

Renntag

Monkey
May 20, 2003
not sure, its dark
This is a really helpful forum. I posted a similar question of mtbr and got zero replies. You guys rock.

We Roll too.

(to SUB6): especially over the pipe jump on the DH course at Snowshoe. .....LOL

Thanks man.
~q

Greg94

Chimp
Mar 25, 2003
So Cal
It should be 1 1/8 threadless.

When your looking for a used fork you also need
to keep in mind how long the steer tube is.
you should measure yours and then check that
against the used ones.