Quantcast

How close is close enough (shock hardware measuring)

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
Ok so this is my first time putting a new shock on a bike; so if i sound like a noob at this, I am. I have a giant ac1 and am trying to put a dhx 5.0 on it, having a bitch of a time getting the hardware for it. I called giant for their opinion and they basically told me it would be easier to make them myself (having a machinist who works part time in the shop is a good thing!). I've tried to call fox but they seem to always be closed when I call them, they just hate me I think (they've ignored my attempted prodeals for the past 2 years too).

Anyways, I found all the fox specific hardware on pricepoint but can't find something that will exactly fit the top/bottom brackets on my bike (as measured with calipers) but I did find ones that are less than a mm off on either side and just went ahead and bought them (**** it they are 4 bucks and i cant get em from BTI). My question is how close is close enough? I know the brackets will compress somewhat as I tighten down the bolts to secure the shock but I don't know how much is expected (I'm guessing not much). My other plan is to use washers to space it out, but whether to use stainless steel or plastic is the question. Any advice, tips, tricks, spells of protection, etc would be much appreciated.

CanadaGuy

Chimp
Aug 13, 2010
You can always just pick up some shims, which is basically the same thing you were saying when you mentioned washers. I had to do this when I swapped the bushings on my DHX 5 for needle bearings.

From what I have seen shims range from 0.25mm up to 2mm, but I'm sure there are other sizes out there. I would imagine you would place them between the shock hardware and the actual eyelet of the shock.

0.5mm shims can be found here: http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id319.html

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
Ok cool, thanks guys. I figure worst comes to worst I just send the dimensions of the hardware that I'd optimally need to the machinist and just have him make me some custom shiz.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Not as a shot at your measurements, but less than a mm is pretty small, you sure you got the measurement right? neither the bike nor the shock are extremely "rare"