Quantcast

How do Diablo's Sundays come spec'd?

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I don't have exactly the highest bike budget (and a sponsorship from Trek only pays for like 20% unless its for xc) so I was planning to buy one of the Sundays that Diablo sells off at the end of next season. I hear that they normally sell for around $1600 and my question is, how are they spec'd? Teams, Elites, custom?

Edit: Nevermind, there is an entire Diablo board. My bad.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Man i would NEVER buy one of those bikes...The sunday is a great bike but after a year's worth of riding at diablo...ugh...

Find one in the classifieds and pay a bit more...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
They have e.thirteen chainguides on them, I can tell you that much. I am sure that the guides will be in good shape after the season. If you can arrange a visit to see a bike in person that will tell you a lot.

Dave

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
this isn't plattekill, this is diablo. they care about whats going on with the bikes. i've been there and seen the repair crew replace broken parts with new parts. and not just doing quick fixes. even seen whole new forks being installed.

people don't answer the question if you have no idea. or even asked the staff there.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I'll second what DHS said - Jamie and the rest of the pit guys there keep on top of things when it comes to looking after the rental fleet. Each bike gets time in the stand at some point for some TLC, maintanence, and replacement parts.

CAVEDWELLER

Chimp
May 5, 2006
I actually bought one from Diablo, it has some scratches and the rims were shot, but that's it everything else that I changes was personal preference. I thought it was a great deal and Jamie worked with me on it and was super sool with everything. Here it is dirty as hell from a day of Arkansas DH.

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Dont buy a large .... or a medium.
I blew the shock on one of the large rental sundays last year.

Keep this in mind.
They dont adjust the suspension on the rentals.
The large I rode bottomed off everything and I only weigh 174.
After a few runs the shock lost all its rebound and oil.
So I changed to a medium, bottomed it out for the rest of the day.

Not many rental customers hit all the jumps and drops but still.

I was at diablo almost every weekend last year and the rentals were almost allways on the hill.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I've never been to diablo, but at whistler I saw some of the rental bikes up there and they were in the worst condition by the end of the year. They just look abused

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ

Keep this in mind.

I was at diablo almost every weekend last year and the rentals were almost allways on the hill.
well the bike wasn't set up for you. pluss if the bikes were damages jamie fixed the parts with out a doubt. pluss thats a good deal on a bike you know the frame will never brake. the frame, fork, and drivetrain are solid. Also its a 2oo6 you can put a dhx on there if you please. I think Jamie happens to have some for sale too.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I was planning on replacing the wheelset, shock, guide, brakes, bar, cranks, and pedals anyways. Other than cosmetic things, I think I'll be fine though.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon

Keep this in mind.

they probably just come with the stock spring rates, and 300 is too soft for 174, it isnt the shop's fault

edit: where do they list the bikes?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA

Keep this in mind.

did you ask about the suspension tuning when you rented it?
after you bottomed in out a couple times in a run, did you ask about why it did that.
stop complaining about your mistakes

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
"did you ask about the suspension tuning when you rented it?"

Yes I asked, they do not swap the springs for rental customers.
I was told this. I rented the bike knowing that It was setup too soft for me. I am not complaining about the service to rental customers. I am pointing out that these bikes have been seriously abused as they have been bottomed out harshly due to improper setup in my estimation a helluva lot. No frame is designed to withstand repeated harsh bottom outs. IMO at 174lbs I would be one of the lighter customers renting a large sized sunday. Granted I was probably in the minority of rental customers hitting everything.

"after you bottomed in out a couple times in a run, did you ask about why it did that. "

I told them I was bottoming hard.
They said that it was better to have the bike bottom out for heavier customers than to be over sprung for lighter riders.

"stop complaining about your mistakes"
I never complained about anything.
I was informing the poster and others of the abuse that the diablo rental bikes get.

I think Jamie runs a fantasic operation at diablo.
IMO they should setup the shock and fork springs to suit the customer. My only complaint was that they never should have rented the 1st sunday I rode as the shock was in need of a service and blew up on my 2nd run. I was then waiting around for about 1.5hrs for a bike and I'd paid something like $100 to rent a sunday for the day.

I would not say however that the maintaince done on the rentals is 100%. they are doing pretty well, but like I said the bike I rented had a shock that needed a rebuild and it blew on m 2nd run. I had never ridden in the USA on any track until that day, the brakes were setup backwards (I'm Aussie), I wasnt going hard.