Quantcast

How do I frame out a small gate for my deck?

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
if you already have it framed, get some metal "strap" and make an "X" with it from each of the corners or go from the top of the hinge side to the bottom of the handle or latch side... that will keep it from sagging..... aside from that, i would say use screws, not framing nails.... better hold!

nikwho said:
if you already have it framed, get some metal "strap" and make an "X" with it from each of the corners or go from the top of the hinge side to the bottom of the handle or latch side... that will keep it from sagging..... aside from that, i would say use screws, not framing nails.... better hold!
I did use screws - and I had a real hard time getting them to go through. I stripped a few in the process :( I had even drilled pilot holes but I guess they weren't long enough. Oh well.

Function over form this time :)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MtnBikerChk said:
I did use screws - and I had a real hard time getting them to go through. I stripped a few in the process :( I had even drilled pilot holes but I guess they weren't long enough. Oh well.

Function over form this time :)
It always comes back to the screws doesn't it. :evil:

splat said:
She did , and it was IAB, hence why she is doing it !
:rofl: :rofl:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
post pics of the gate.

I would have used the existing 4x4's as the frame, just put your hinges on one post and the latch on the other post...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
Oh it'll take more than that to fix the bruised male ego.... maybe reconsidering how many directions that gate swings might help.
I think you are asking the wrong questions here, it isn't so much how the gate opens but whether it is just an exit, entrance or both.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
First you must make it so it looks as if the gate was at the scene of a murder crime. You must also make sure the gate's fingerprints are on the murder weapon. After that, it's just your word against the gate's, and of all the gates I've known in my life, they've all been lying, drug abusing, drunks. Good luck

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MtnBikerChk said:
you are evil.
:p
I try my best.

Oh, if you are having problems driving the screws in all the way a little lube will help. An old trick is to drag the screw across a bar of soap, this prevents the squealing and lets you put the screw all the way in.

(No innuendo intended)

splat

Nam I am
Westy said:
I try my best.

Oh, if you are having problems driving the screws in all the way a little lube will help. An old trick is to drag the screw across a bar of soap, this prevents the squealing and lets you put the screw all the way in.

(No innuendo intended)
Hmmm Squealing while Screwing , what a concept!!!

( actually he is right , soap does help, and actually long term it acts as a lock tite too. )

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rofl:

Soo, IAB, how's it make you feel that your wife is better at handling your tools than you are?

Emasculated?

Intimidated?

Worried about what kind of prior tool-handling experience would beget such an expert?

Nice gate, MBC :)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
:rofl:

Soo, IAB, how's it make you feel that your wife is better at handling your tools than you are?

Emasculated?

Intimidated?

Worried about what kind of prior tool-handling experience would beget such an expert?
I am thrilled that she enjoys doing that kind of stuff. Most women prefer not to get their hands dirty.

For the guys here that have to do everything themselves, I'm curious if they like it that way, or if they'd rather have a woman who likes to fix things.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
I am thrilled that she enjoys doing that kind of stuff. Most women prefer not to get their hands dirty.

For the guys here that have to do everything themselves, I'm curious if they like it that way, or if they'd rather have a woman who likes to fix things.
Pssh. Okay, Mr. Serious-Pants, I was just giving you a hard time ;)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
Pssh. Okay, Mr. Serious-Pants, I was just giving you a hard time ;)
I'm never serious.

BTW, it's not like I didn't help: I had to hold the gate up while she drilled in the hinges. I would have preferred to be sitting on my ass watching the Red Sox game, but these are the sacrifices I make for the sake of our marriage.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
I don't mind having to do it myself - I get annoyed when she knows the best way to do it, but won't do it herself. If she already knows how it's best done, just do it - what does she need me for???

BTW - nice gate. I've got to do something similar on our deck (so I can let the dogs out on the deck unleashed), but I can't figure out how best to do it, so that it is out of the way when open, but still closes tight enough so the dogs can't get loose.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
BTW, it's not like I didn't help: I had to hold the gate up while she drilled in the hinges. I would have preferred to be sitting on my ass watching the Red Sox game, but these are the sacrifices I make for the sake of our marriage.
wow - you're a good man. :rolleyes: :rofl: ;) :thumb:

jacksonpt said:
BTW - nice gate. I've got to do something similar on our deck (so I can let the dogs out on the deck unleashed), but I can't figure out how best to do it, so that it is out of the way when open, but still closes tight enough so the dogs can't get loose.
that's why I buillt it. The latch I bought is too small so I hafta go buy another one - then it'll really be done.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Did you polyuretane/stain it?

If so re-staining it will be next to impossible.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I should takes some pics of my ghetto gate. No hinges just used a few straps to attach it to a post, straps helt in place with a few bent nails. Made from scrap wood that is painted several different colors. It's redneckalicious.