Quantcast

how do i get my hope hubs apart

m00ch

Chimp
Aug 24, 2001
i have the hope sport hubs (same as ti glide with out the ti) they are the older model with the body of the hub and ends different color. how do i get em apart so i can greeze it all up in there?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by m00ch
i have the hope sport hubs (same as ti glide with out the ti) they are the older model with the body of the hub and ends different color. how do i get em apart so i can greeze it all up in there?

If its the front it should be 2 alan wrenches. Rear can't tell without looking

DHiTone

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
UK
You dont need allen keys. They are a pretty serious push fit arrangement on the cartridge bearings.

You wont need to grease anything unless your bearings are shot in which case you just need to replace the cartridges - these can be obtained from any bearing shop.

If this is the case, take the front wheel, take the skewer out and smack one side ot the axle with a soft mallet - voila - the other side bearing will pop out with the axle. Then use a drift to remove the other bearing.

For the rear do the same but watch for the pawls in the freewheel going skyward when you try and knock the axle out. replace the bearings and push it all back together.

As i say, you wont need to grease them at all unless your bearings are shot, in which case just replace them. They are sealed bearings. If you can get the bearings with am orangey/red seal (as were supplied with the very early BigUns), they are a better quality seal than the black seals used in most of the Hope hubs now. (Mine lasted 4 years in the rear, including a season of Alpine riding everyday)

Hope this helps.

Tone

m00ch

Chimp
Aug 24, 2001
will ineed new o rings when i put them back together? and does it matter which side i hit with the mallet?

thanks
m00ch

DHiTone

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
UK
Er, not seen any O rings in my Hope hubs so i would say no.

Doesnt matter which side you smack with the front one, best to knock the rear one from the drive side - just watch for the pawls - tiny little springs are a swine to find on the garage floor!

This will bring out the axle with the freehub attached. Take this all apart - its very simple and easy to see wher eall the bits go - the only tricky bit is getting the pawls back in!! - use a good grease on them, get two in place then use a very narrow pointy thing - a spoke or tiny screwdriver should do to hold the pawl pushed in on the spring, then push the freewheel into place.

Flip the wheel over and support the freewheel on something (2 pieces of wood on the floor would do) and knock the axle back in place with the bearings.

When knocking new bearings into place - put something on the outside edge and tap that - not the inner race. This can cause premature damage to the bearings before oyu even fit them by upsetting the seals.

Good luck. Its a bit fiddly but does not require any special tools and is dead easy after a few attempts.

Hope this all makes sense - its been a few months since i did one of mine so having difficulty remembering the order in which everything is done for the rear!

Tone