Quantcast

how do i keep or gain enough speed? now with pictures

Jul 29, 2009
maybe this is an impossible question

im not an experienced builder
i have a run in followed by a 4 feet high lip (and the curve is made from a 10'6'' wooden template) and about 10 feet to the landing that is just inches higher than the lip (and angles about 45 degrees downwards)

then i have a roller (maybe foot and a half high and two bike lenghts long)
there is about a bikes lenght before and after the roller

followed by a 5 feet high jump (same template) and about 12 feet to the landing that is maybe a foot and a half higher than the lip

trouble is that i cant quite make it across to the second landing

i have tried to make the roller lower and maybe this has helped
but im wondering if it actually makes me scrub speed instead on conserving it or maybe gaining a bit
(i also suspect that the roller maybe requires too much attention from me to set up proporly for the next jump)

maybe the roller should be even lower? or not rise up from the ground at all but only exist as a lowering of the ground level before the second jump?

what i could also do is build the first jump a bit bigger
if i wanted i could probably over jump it by 3 feet as it is, so more speed is a possibility

any ideas?
(i have never build any jumps with anyone with more experience than me, so im kinda reinventing the wheel)

thank you
rasmus

Last edited:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I don't think you are putting enough thought into it. That's the problem.

What the actual problem is you are building trails by thinking the next jump will always be bigger. It is more the type of jump than size if anything. The best thing to do in your case is:
1) move the first lip back and make it lower and more shallow.

2) Lower the landing and use the dirt from the top to make the landing longer and extend it to the top of the roller.

(This way you get a nice long landing that you can get a good pump out of at the end.)

3) Shape back side of roller to accommodate the speed.

4)Ride.

It seems that your first jump may not have enough speed coming off of it thus making you not able to ride the second. With this change, you may find that you can make the second lip bigger and steeper for moar airzz.

In this picture, if you can see, halfway down the landing is a roller. Essentially, I want you to extend you landing long enough so you can incorporate your landing with the roller.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
then i have a roller (maybe foot and a half high and two bike lenghts long)
there is about a bikes lenght before and after the roller

followed by a 5 feet high jump (same template) and about 12 feet to the landing that is maybe a foot and a half higher than the lip

trouble is that i cant quite make it across to the second landing

i have tried to make the roller lower and maybe this has helped
but im wondering if it actually makes me scrub speed instead on conserving it or maybe gaining a bit
(i also suspect that the roller maybe requires too much attention from me to set up proporly for the next jump)

maybe the roller should be even lower? or not rise up from the ground at all but only exist as a lowering of the ground level before the second jump?

what i could also do is build the first jump a bit bigger
if i wanted i could probably over jump it by 3 feet as it is, so more speed is a possibility

any ideas?
(i have never build any jumps with anyone with more experience than me, so im kinda reinventing the wheel)

thank you
rasmus
Ditch the roller, make the first jump bigger. A bike length on either side of a roller is sketchy. There's no way you're generating speed on that. Rollers rarely generate speed in tight places. A double bowl/pump down generates speed. Having to suck up a roller takes way more effort.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Like Kidwoo and TheTruth said, your first jump should be longer, so that it is also 12 foot gap. The first jump in a line generally sets the speed for the rest of the line. So unless you're on a decline or you have mad-pump step-ups, you're not going be able to clear progressively longer gaps easily. So you could make them both 10' or both 12' but a 10' followed by 12' is (generally) not going to work that great.

Kidwoo is also right--you don't have enough space before and after the roller.

The most common mistake with rollers is that they are too short in length and too peaky. If you have a roller in a line of bigger jumps, it should be more like a tabletop jump with a bubbled up lid on it. So there is a "peak to peak" distance on roller just like there would be on a tabletop or double.

I know it's probably hard to figure out from these videos, but check out the rollers at a couple of our local spots:
http://www.plussizebmx.com/blog/2011/2/24/paint-it-black-with-country-mike.html

At my spot http://vimeo.com/10436091 check the one at 0:13.

I drew this for an mtbr thread.... But check out the roller spacing. It's almost the same spacing as if it were another jump.

Kidwoo is correct: sometimes a double-bowl or "waterfall" is a better idea than a roller, because you need less space. Your body doesn't need the time to go up and then down . . . just flat to down again. Here's an example at 0:15 in this video I put together for the 9th street Halloween jam. http://vimeo.com/16744769

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
This.

Ditto to everything above. I am a big fan of putting a floater or a long & low at the beginning of my lines, even if there is a starting hill or a roll in. This way you can pump any extra speed you need off the landing. As far as altering the jump itself, if its a 4 ft lip you don't want it very steep, too abrupt and you are going to get bucked at high speed.

@CMC awesome little sketch, have you figured out any kind of template like that for satellite dishes/fruit bowls? I have been wanting to build one but I am not quite sure where to start with them.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2009
well im putting quite a lot of thought into it, only i didnt know what to think
(maybe i should say i still dont - only on the next couple of questions listed below)
all your replies are very helpful
thank you

A bike length on either side of a roller is sketchy.
i have dug away the roller and now im left with a pump down of maybe a foot (as the roller had a ground level of about a foot higher before relative to after)

but how should a pump down look?

right now its a small grade followed by the same flat area as before (of about a bike lengh)
by sketchy, do you mean desperate? non-flowy?

cmcs sketch doesnt show a pump down, but from what i can extrapolate, there shouldnt be a flat area between the roller/pump and the jump

should i move the pump down to the middle between the landing and the jump? or should i have a mellow grade that curves continously into the next jump? and actually move it closer to the jump? or make the grade mellower still?

is a foot too little to work as a pump down? should i dig deeper and end up with a 6 foot 2nd lip? (that would mean i go higher right and end up with the problem again of maybe not going far enough?)

cheers
rasmus

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Make the pumpdown low enough that it is easily pumpable when ridden and provides good speed. Making the pumpdown contour into the next lip similar to a ski jump is a good way to maintain speed as well since you can pump through the whole dip and up and off the next lip, great for boosting. As for the height of the next lip, I would make it about the same size as the previous, which would make the second lip lower in comparison to the first because of the pumpdown before it, but it will actually be the same height. This can allow for the second jump to be more of a step-up trickable jump with a slightly shorter gap, but taller and steeper. Hope that made sense.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
can you put up some pics of your spot? The more i read about it , the more interested it is becoming. Sounds like digging there isn't too much of an issue as far as the dirt is concerned.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
but how should a pump down look?
i couldn't think immediately of another picture or video to show you . . . but just get on google video or vimeo and watch a bunch of bmx 'trails' videos, until you come across one.

waterfalls (or 'pump down' as you're calling it) are also in skateparks, like at 0:02 in this video. (although skateboarders sometimes like their rollers/waterfalls quicker and steeper, since they're riding such a short wheelbase).

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Move the pump 3/4 of a bike length closer to the landing and then build the landing on to it. This way, you can have more room after the pump and a more gradual pump down with all of that speed. With this done, you shall experience moderate quantities of success.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
once again, a kind of parallel with skateboarding. you need the roller to be equally far away from the next wall as the spine is. if the roller was any closer to one of the quarter pipe walls, it would feel cramped. . . .

here is the old Skatepark of Austin 69 wood bowl, with a waterfall, then the cement replica of it:

Jul 29, 2009
can you put up some pics of your spot?
looking down the roll in

looking up the roll in

looking down the line

the first jump

where the roller used to be - and the waterfall

from the top of the first landing

detail shot of the flat area after the pump down

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
looking down the roll in

looking up the roll in

looking down the line

the first jump

where the roller used to be - and the waterfall

from the top of the first landing

detail shot of the flat area after the pump down
hey, that's a much better spot than i expected! did you build them? with that hill roll-in you should be able to go blazing fast.

what is the distance between the two big sets (the top of the landing to the top of the next lip) ?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Is that in Tacoma? My Aunt lives there, and my cousin took me to a spot that looked just like that when I was visiting last summer.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I would try to put (something) in that gap between the 2 sets, it looks pretty long, the longer your rolling without jumps or features, the more speed you will loose, maybe make a very small double (or 2 rollers)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I would try to put (something) in that gap between the 2 sets . . .
definitely. like maybe a mellow two-foot tall launch like 13 feet back from that waterfall so that you land into the waterfall as a step-down.

like 0:20 in the Jason Ball section of one of my favorite bmx videos of all time, S&M BMX Inferno (1995).
http://bmxmdb.com/films/152-Bmx-Inferno (Scroll down to the Jason ball section. It's vimeo.com private, so you have to view it through BMX Movie Database.... )

. . . .

@CMC awesome little sketch, have you figured out any kind of template like that for satellite dishes/fruit bowls? I have been wanting to build one but I am not quite sure where to start with them.
are you talking about something like this?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2009
what is the distance between the two big sets (the top of the landing to the top of the next lip)?
48 (of my) feet, and maybe it will be 45 after the first jump is bigger

im not sure there is room for a small double or step down
but that would be a good idea

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
48 (of my) feet, and maybe it will be 45 after the first jump is bigger

im not sure there is room for a small double or step down
but that would be a good idea
how about this? i measured it out kind of to scale (40mm = 10 feet).

[disclaimer!: i and my friends have built a few lines very similar to this . . . but i'm not promising anything about these exact dimensions because all trails have to be tweaked and tailored to the spot....]

Here's another version with the "waterfall." It's like the second half of the roller.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2009
16 feet from the top of the landing to the low lip will come at you pretty quick, normally i would want more like 25 or 28 feet, but it could be doable but tech
i would almost build it (no 1) just to show you my appreciation of your involvement :)

i already said im not an experienced builder
and im not a skilled rider either
so i dont think tech is the right thing
especially not after the first set in a line
(if only the quality of my bike was any indication of my skill level :D)
also i dont see how your 1st suggestion is all that different from my previous roller that squashed my speed
maybe it did so because it was tech and i wasnt

i cant quite decide if im leaning towards a waterfall in the middle or moving the waterfall towards the jump to get what was campared to a ski jump

i was composing this at the time when i only saw your first sketch
the second doesnt look all that different from my roller
and the third is one of my most likely options

thank you very much

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
more so than the waterfall, i still think the first jump needs to be longer. that is the main issue. the first jump sets the speed for the rest of the line. (it does look like you're going a little down-gradient though, so it's surprising you can't clear the second jump. not even with a couple of cranks? or you just mean you can't coast and hit it?).

you could make a new first set a little more like this: (a lower, flatter launch), then the second set can be the booster.

this drawing i did for the mtbr thread shows the 12----25---12----25-----12 design. so you wouldn't have room for a full double in between your first and second set right now.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=402237&page=2

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Exactly but with dirt, and on a smaller scale.
my friend Mike is planning on building one of those. we were talking about making the dish close to the ground to minimize the ridiculous amount of dirt it would take to make an elevated bowl (it seems like it would have to be at least 16' long but maybe as much as 20' depending). if the dish were close to the ground, then you'd dig super deep pits before and after it to make the step up / step down. . . .

i know i saw a dirt one in some video a few months ago, i can't remember where though.

i took this pic at the '09 Crankworx Colorado. you can kinda tell there are about two and a half sheets of ply, so i'd say it's about 20' long:

this one was at the top of the hill and was gnarly. i thought someone would sketch out and fall off it, but no one did.

oh yeah, there's one in the Madrid supercross video:

although it's almost more instructive to watch the failures:

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Few last ideas for you-i think that your biggest problem is that they are spaced too far apart. That said, here is a few ideas

double roller for manualing (gap-able)
double waterfall (DOPE!)
little speed jump

Jul 29, 2009
i think that your biggest problem is that they are spaced too far apart
that certainly is the case
the reason why is that when i started building a few years ago, i really sucked at it
as i have gotten better, i rebuild what i already had
and its only now that i realize that the overall plan doesnt work

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
when reworking stuff you can use the current location of a jump to avoid moving all the dirt too far, you can just cut up a landing throw it a few feet back or turn it into the next lip or visa versa.