Quantcast

how do i make the change to clipless

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ive ben riding for about a year now i take the peddals of my road bike for slolom racing no ive got a set for my freeride/DH bike now how should i go about the switch from flats should i do it on easy rides and take them on harder and harder rides or throw them on for north star on wed.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
holy sh:t, was that english? Dude, don't make people re-read your posts multiple times before they understand what you're asking.

Set the tension on your pedals to loose. Since some types are easy to break, go to your LBS for help. Then tighten them as you get used to using them. Also, most DHers don't like clipless, so if that's what you're really asking, then go to the DH forum and ask them.

And for crap sake, use some punctuation in addition to the spell checker.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
set them loose so it will be easier to get in and out of. also, practice getting in and out without looking down and try dabbing then quickyl re-engaging.

hardtailer88

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Bethesda MD
what, is this aim now?? I use clipless for most freeride and dh stuff that I do, and I think it helps control. just start out with them on xc rides and do whats comfortable for you. I dont recommend north shore with clipless, however.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i prefer clipless on DH myself not only for control, but when you're cookin down any chunky section or stuttery section having your feet stay on the pedals helps out alot especially if you feel like your hanging on for dear life on the super steep. From what i understand North Star is in Tahoe? i've seen picture looks like chunky rocky gnarl, i'd go for the clipless.....

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
LordOpie said:
holy sh:t, was that english? Dude, don't make people re-read your posts multiple times before they understand what you're asking.

Set the tension on your pedals to loose. Since some types are easy to break, go to your LBS for help. Then tighten them as you get used to using them. Also, most DHers don't like clipless, so if that's what you're really asking, then go to the DH forum and ask them.

And for crap sake, use some punctuation in addition to the spell checker.
funny yet true

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I personally wouldn't ride clipless on DH...never know when you need to bail quickly...or on a ladder or skinnies for that matter...as for giving you more control...I suggest you just learn to flow with the trail and you'll have all the control you need without cheating by the clips...not to mention...how ya gonna learn no footers over jumps and tabletops if you're clipped in??? :D

and I'd stay with the flats for North* too....hit up Karpiel...it's a fun ride...
...nevermind...you posted this a long time ago...did ya like North* though??

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
TheMontashu said:
there not comming of my bike

If you look closely at people's bikes you'll be surprised by how many riders use clipless pedals at N*. I've been on clipless pedals for so long that it's second nature getting out of them when I need to.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yep, it will, although in some of my experiences they would suck for FR and jumping.

My BMX friends would look at me weird when I'd ride one of their bikes and twist my foot when I got off their flat pedals...

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
xbluethunderx said:
Yep, it will, although in some of my experiences they would suck for FR and jumping.

My BMX friends would look at me weird when I'd ride one of their bikes and twist my foot when I got off their flat pedals...
ahhh...the downside of having to rely on your own skills to keep your feet on the pedals... ;) :D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Translation:

TheMontashu said:
ive ben riding for about a year now
i take the peddals of my road bike for slolom racing
now ive got a set for my freeride/DH bike
how should i go about the switch from flats?
should i do it on easy rides and take them on harder and harder rides or throw them on for north star on wed?
The obvious answer is to put them on for Northstar.
How are you going to get better unless you have a trial by fire? :thumb:
Clippless will make you a better rider

(translation)
now the obvious answer is to put them on for Northstar now how are you going to get better unless you have a trial by fire and clipless will make you better rider

;)

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
i say just throw them on about 4 days to 1 week before you need them. ride them around all the time, just start on easy stuff that you can easily do. work your way back up to your original ability, but just put them on and don't take them off.