Quantcast

How do you carve out time to ride?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
stosh said:
I should have been more general in my question. What do you think of riding a 29" bike?

I like riding the 29" bike. the bike before the Karate Monkey was a Surly Instigator hardtail and I liked that bike too. I like the way a steel hardtail feels out on the trail. The 29" wheels haul major ass downhill, and they help in rock gardens and other rooty sections of trails. So far so good with the KM.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
I like riding the 29" bike. the bike before the Karate Monkey was a Surly Instigator hardtail and I liked that bike too. I like the way a steel hardtail feels out on the trail. The 29" wheels haul major ass downhill, and they help in rock gardens and other rooty sections of trails. So far so good with the KM.
That's cool. There is an interesting article in the current MBA - a direct comparison of a 29er vs a 26er... both gary fisher paragons, so the specs are very similar with the biggest difference being the wheels. They did all kinds of tests/comparisons and the general impression I got was that the 29er rolls better in the rough and helps smooth out rought/technical sections, but the 26er is faster (sprinting/climbing, not rolling) and more nimble.