Quantcast

How do you get a tire to seat properly?

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Just put on my Maxxis Minions onto a new set of wheels. Put a little air in and couldn't help but notice how wobbly my tires are.

Is there a trick to it? Over inflate and pop the bead? Slightly inflate, then roll on it? Not sure what to do to get it to seat right.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They should set properly once they get closer to operating pressure.

If they are having issues seating at full pressure, back it down to ~10psi, and go around the tire squeezing it (on the sidewalls). This should help get the tired bead in a position that will allow it to properly seat during inflation to operating pressure.

What's the exact combo you are running? Tire size + rim.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Okay, now that you get my joke... hee hee hee

I'm running 2.50 inch wide 26 inch Maxxis Minion DH tires on 26 inch 33mm wide Azonic Outlaws thru axel front and rear.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
26 inch Maxxis Minions on 29 inch Azonic Outlaws.
Wow you must have some incredible tire levers to get a 26" tired on a 29" wheel, and a time machine for a wheel that doesn't exist yet :D ;)

I mounted the same tire combo over the weekend. Inflate it to around 40psi then back it down. Try the squeezing trick too.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I usually take a wet paper towel and wipe the tire bead (just for a bit of lubrication). After mounting both beads, inflate to a few psi and then try to roll the bead up into the rim. A few more psi, do it again. Then inflate to 60, take quick ride, and then deflate to my desired pressure. Might be a bit overkill to some people, but it keeps me happy.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Soapy water can be too slippery and cause the beed to slip all the way off, turning your tube into a bomb.

I just got to about 60 psi until I hear the bead pop and then deflate to operating pressure.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
If the water doesn't work out and pumping a crap load of pressure in there isn't working out either, pump up to somewhere between 60 and 80, place the wheel on the ground, and stand on the tire below where it isn't sitting (may want to bounce a little). I find this works out for really stubborn rims. (eh hhmm, wtb's, with a Maxxis).

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Just going to post this in here too, dont over inflate it, i made the mistake of doing this on a tubeless minion, exploded off the rim, shot the hub comes across a 2 car garage, broke the tire bead, made me deaf for 5 minutes, and left a bruise on my hand that was pitch black for a week (and yes it hurt)

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
I've had worn beads stretch over the rim when inflated. You see the bead come off and the tube slowly appear, that's when you turn your head and get ready for the booooooooooommmmm.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Just getting back today, too busy to reply to posts. Yes the soapy water worked. Worked GREAT for that matter. I completely forgot about that little trick. I just built a new bike. I'll post pics up soon. It's really nice and it's my first build.