Quantcast

How do you get through that one section on dogbone...

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
The part in between the two trees with the rock, one of the trees has padding on it? I always somehow manage to get stuck... and then bail or eat it. Which line is easiest, or the only line to take?

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Acadian said:
Padding on trees? on Dogbone?

never seen any padding on trees...maybe I'm just taking a different line?
Is it dogbone? Or right before vietnam.. argh. It's the trail I think that drops you into the rock slab drop that goes into the turns before the stadium jump.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
are you talking about this section?

when you go down it...take it on the left hand side...about a foot from the edge and go down it at an angle.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Acadian said:
are you talking about this section?

when you go down it...take it on the left hand side...about a foot from the edge and go down it at an angle.

nope, that's not where he's talking about. I think if you take the trail with the rock waterfall and then stay to the right so that you are riding under the lift. i haven't ridden it yet this year (suck at that section and just don't find it too much fun) but last year there was a tree with big blue or green padding around it. i remember asking Kidwoo about it and he said something to the effect of "it's sweet that there's padding on it this year because you can come flying into it and just bounce off the tree since it's padded". he's a little loco :eek:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
dfinn said:
nope, that's not where he's talking about. I think if you take the trail with the rock waterfall and then stay to the right so that you are riding under the lift. i haven't ridden it yet this year (suck at that section and just don't find it too much fun) but last year there was a tree with big blue or green padding around it. i remember asking Kidwoo about it and he said something to the effect of "it's sweet that there's padding on it this year because you can come flying into it and just bounce off the tree since it's padded". he's a little loco :eek:
ah...probably that trail that I NEVER ride ;)

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
I know the area. Ok my (untested) theory. It came to me after I picked myself up after getting thrown to the ground trying to clean that section. The way the trail sends you down, and what seems to be most intuitave is to kinda come from the left side go all the way right then flick left to center yourself out and take the line out (did that make any sense at all??) Dont do it!! Come in a little slower and get more centered between the two trees/rocks from higher up, go real slow and cut wide early. There is a small log that lays inline with the trail. It think if you roll that log, it will pretty much drop you down and inline to go right past the padded tree into the exit line.

So that was pretty hard to explain in words, but next time you're there, get off the bike and take a look. It's quite a bit easier to see it from down the trail, so do a quick hike past the area. (heh...hind site is always 20/20 :D ) It's just a small log, and It didn't even occur to me until after I had already eaten sheeot.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Dfinn: It's a left, not a right but you are correct in that it's right under the lift

Luc: no you never ride this section, instead of taking the hard right into vietnam where the ideal line is the bush scraping your right shoulder, you just go straight.

I agree a bit with mvrider, it's all about getting your front wheel on that piece of wood. I do go in far left and cut right though......but then again, I fully anticipate redirecting using my right shoulder since the pad is there. Seriously, it works really well.

cornholio

Chimp
May 6, 2005
What mvrider said. As you approach the section, rolling over the rotten log gives you a straight line between the tree and rock as you enter the steep part. I haven't ridden it yet though, it's still on my to-do list. My friend tried it and crashed on his first attempt, then took the line over the log for his second try and cleaned it. He said taking the line over the log makes it a lot easier.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
I know where he is talking about. There is no line there anymore that's why I never ride it. Northstar is too busy building more log rides at the base of Vista yet swear they have no time to do trail work. The park manager THINKS we like our trails this beat so he has been working on all the XC trails.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
dhtahoe said:
I know where he is talking about. There is no line there anymore that's why I never ride it. Northstar is too busy building more log rides at the base of Vista yet swear they have no time to do trail work. The park manager THINKS we like our trails this beat so he has been working on all the XC trails.

good, i was starting to think maybe I was the only person who thought the trails were in horrible shape. I remember them being much less beat to hell this time last year. It probably didn't help that I went home to the east coast and rode some DH out there.

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
That section was my nemesis last year! I finally started cleaning it at the end of the season. For a bonus thrill do the logride on the NEXT turn. If you look to the left just after the padded tree turn there is a logride to drop. You cut the switchback on a log then drop several feet into a tight turn. I did it several times last year, and over half of them shot me into the bushes... Good times. Anyone else hitting that thing?

Scott

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
goin' medium said:
That section was my nemesis last year! I finally started cleaning it at the end of the season. For a bonus thrill do the logride on the NEXT turn. If you look to the left just after the padded tree turn there is a logride to drop. You cut the switchback on a log then drop several feet into a tight turn. I did it several times last year, and over half of them shot me into the bushes... Good times. Anyone else hitting that thing?

Scott
ehh ghettogt76 adn i looked at it and were like f that, you'll get shot into the bushes lol

but yea, nope

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
haha, I barely got myself to do that little offcamber ladder drop at the bottom of one of the runs... I don't think I can do that log drop. But I want to clean that section! I'll see if I can get a screen capture of it. Thanks for the tips though!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dfinn said:
good, i was starting to think maybe I was the only person who thought the trails were in horrible shape. .
You are not alone.

I even went home to grab another front tire Saturday. Northstar is pretty beat.

More damage is done to that place in one day of Big Bear racing than the rest of the season. Those dorks make the corners look like freakin Snow Summit highways.