Quantcast

how do you prevent flash in browsers from taking too much bandwidth

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
-rep if you say "get a [mac product]"
-rep for every chance i get if it's SkaredShtles

problem is, pandora, youtube, other sites have lots of flash content that either runs, or dl's, rather inefficiently. to the point of "i can't move my browser and/or it won't respond to mouseclicks"

can i do something cute like find out where it's coming from & loopback in my hosts file?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
-rep if you say "get a [mac product]"
-rep for every chance i get if it's SkaredShtles

problem is, pandora, youtube, other sites have lots of flash content that either runs, or dl's, rather inefficiently. to the point of "i can't move my browser and/or it won't respond to mouseclicks"

can i do something cute like find out where it's coming from & loopback in my hosts file?
How old is your computer? Are you trying to play HD clips?

Uninstall flash and active X flash from add/remove and install the newest version (10.1). 10.1 has GPU acceleration and it does not have the security flaw like the older versions:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10/adobe-flash-player-10-1-now-officially-available-for-download/

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
How old is your computer?
p4 2.8ghz, 2G ram, no video acceleration or other bells/whistles.
vanilla corporate load
Are you trying to play HD clips?
every once in a while
Uninstall flash and active X flash from add/remove and install the newest version (10.1). 10.1 has GPU acceleration and it does not have the security flaw like the older versions:
done.

optimally, i'd like to block all adverts in pandora, but it probably comes from the same address as teh music, so maybe i need to find which ports it comes from & block those(?)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
oh, s'pose i could install one of those silly ff add ons to block flash...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
oh, s'pose i could install one of those silly ff add ons to block flash...
You can't beat the security of browser with noscript - nothing runs by default (including flash) until you allow it once or whitelist it in a site by site basis.

You can also use (from the same developer) Flashgot - you can download flash video from most sources (some require starting playback to get the download option available). Once it starts downloading you can close the flash player and play it back locally on VLC or media player classic.

There is also flashblock, but I've never used that:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Keep in mind with noscript you should configure it as you would a firewall - only open the ports/run the scripts from the sites that are needed to get the job done/information.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
problem is, these plugins behave indiscriminately, & i want to whitelist browser behavior.

s'pose i could install lynx & i wouldn't have these issues.

fatnslow

Chimp
May 10, 2010
Your problem is likely that flash is pegging your CPU, rather than using all your bandwidth. Unfortunately, it's tremendously inefficient. To my knowledge there's nothing to do about it except wait for Adobe to make it not suck...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
you're right; i misspoke/mistyped

my pipe's plenty fat - it's just a matter of how to thresh that out.