Quantcast

How does the Cane Creek Angleset work?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
If I could only muster the chutzpah to seek out all the threads deriding 1.5" as useless when it came out, Manitou is foolish for pushing this crap la la laaaa

Seems to have stuck, and all the pluses originally claimed manifested, PLUS the AngleSet!

OOOHWEEE-EEEE-HOOPLA!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Oh and one thing only because it's the weirdo in me. I hate that there has never been a perfect center mark on the head tube of bikes. On my trail bike, I secretly always wonder if my bars are ACTUALLY straight. I wish steerers had a seam that every stem slid onto so your bars would be dead straight with the fork every time.

I mention it b/c there is a little line on the cup to indicate center. But there is no indication on a head tube where that place is. I'll take a string and do my best before I ever install the headset I guess to find the closest approximation. But in my mind I'll be wondering if my 1 degree of offset is in reality aimed at 358degrees on the compass as opposed to 0. :banghead:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Oh and one thing only because it's the weirdo in me. I hate that there has never been a perfect center mark on the head tube of bikes. On my trail bike, I secretly always wonder if my bars are ACTUALLY straight. I wish steerers had a seam that every stem slid onto so your bars would be dead straight with the fork every time.

I mention it b/c there is a little line on the cup to indicate center. But there is no indication on a head tube where that place is. I'll take a string and do my best before I ever install the headset I guess to find the closest approximation. But in my mind I'll be wondering if my 1 degree of offset is in reality aimed at 358degrees on the compass as opposed to 0. :banghead:
Excellent point you stated, I was wondering the same thing on trying to find "true center" on the headtube. I guess a string from the seatpost tube to the headtube may work or some other type of measurment process might do. Just seems like a PIA if you dont get it centered correct the 1st time.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
But in my mind I'll be wondering if my 1 degree of offset is in reality aimed at 358degrees on the compass as opposed to 0. :banghead:
i believe theres a video around where a guy from CC talked about how the cups dont need to be perfectly centered on your headtube....i believe the gimble will compensate for this.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
i believe theres a video around where a guy from CC talked about how the cups dont need to be perfectly centered on your headtube....i believe the gimble will compensate for this.
I will be cheating when I get mine installed. I'm going to just drive down the road 3.5 miles to their factory and see if I can talk them into installing it.:thumb:

"i kid"

Last edited:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
So after all this the only way to change the angle is to change the top cup? I thought the whole point of this was to be able to change the head angle depending on conditions.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
There is a 0 cup from what I was told. +/- .5, +/- 1 and 0 are the 3 available cups.
I just picked one up today for a 1.5 steerer tube. It came with +/- .5°, +/- 1°, & +/- 1.5° upper cups. There is a 0° cup for the bottom. As dogboy said, you could run a second bottom cup on top if you wanted 0° offset.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
you can...it just wont be as fast as it would be with a bike like the M9 with a pinch bolt on the HT.
So the cup has to be changed out or rotated to change the head angle on all versions?

All the info from Cane Creek gives the impression it was adjustable, as in loosen and make the changes. Not as in pull the damn cup out to rotate it or replace.

Glad I found out now before I paid $200 plus dollars. I would be super pissed.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So the cup has to be changed out or rotated to change the head angle on all versions?

All the info from Cane Creek gives the impression it was adjustable, as in loosen and make the changes. Not as in pull the damn cup out to rotate it or replace.

Glad I found out now before I paid $200 plus dollars. I would be super pissed.
the cup has to be removed and not rotated. it is "adjustable" in the sense that one cup will offer two different settings.
you cant really loosen a headset cup
ALL MODELS:
Eccentric cup must be aligned with frame axis
Eccentric cup must be removed to change angles
Independent of head-tube length
Each eccentric cup can create a steeper or slacker angle by rotating it 180 degrees
Grease spherical interfaces prior to installation
http://canecreek.com/AngleSet?config=ZS49-ZS49

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
the cup has to be removed and not rotated. it is "adjustable" in the sense that one cup will offer two different settings.
you cant really loosen a headset cup
You have to rotate it when you remove it to change the angle, correct?

What bugs me is reading the website and the info posted on Facebook gives the impression that the head set angle "is easily adjustable". Not having seen the video (which I watched yesterday), I thought this was the holy grail. I thought it meant the user could simply loosen the stem/top cap and make headset angle changes.

To me having to remove the headset cup and reinstall is not "easily" adjustable. Easier then cutting off a head tube and re-welding, yes. Not "easily adjustable".

I should have read the part you quoted from Creek's site closer.

Last edited:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
The only really advantage with the angel set over say K9 is that you only have to remove one cup and the system is headtube lenght independent.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Intense's solution is pretty genius. The M9 has one headtube pinch bolt that when loosened, allows you to pop the angleset cup out by hand. No tools, no fiddling. Pretty sweet.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
To attain a zero degree angle, you'll need an additional upper cup not sold with either the +1/-1 or the .5/1/1.5 versions.
It is specifically a zero set upper that the gimble sits in. It is not the lower cup. It's what I was told by Cane Creek this morning.

He also said you could just run a Double XC upper from your existing headset if you already have one.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
You have to rotate it when you remove it to change the angle, correct?

I thought it meant the user could simply loosen the stem/top cap and make headset angle changes.

To me having to remove the headset cup and reinstall is not "easily" adjustable. Easier then cutting off a head tube and re-welding, yes. Not "easily adjustable".

I should have read the part you quoted from Creek's site closer.
yeah, just rotate the cup 180* to change it to + or - .

originally i thought it would be a on-the-fly change, but after learning it was the cups that changed the head angle, i didnt think it would be possible to rotate the cups while they are pressed into the HT. Intense's idea is ideal since it uses a simple pinch bolt to remove the cup....which actually is easy.
i do like this method better than a sleeve like my Revolt and some other bikes use

The only really advantage with the angel set over say K9 is that you only have to remove one cup and the system is headtube lenght independent.
CC's headset actually also allows for a bit of offset from your cups since the "gimball" takes care of any variations. with the K9, the cups are angled meaning alignment is even more critical.