Quantcast

how i identify lazy folks

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i've always thought it was just hopeless slobs who wore those toning shoes. looks like the government is backing me up.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sns-rt-us-reebok-ftctre78r30u-20110928,0,2095950.story
"The (FTC) allegations suggested that the testing we conducted did not substantiate certain claims used in the advertising of our EasyTone line of products," Adidas said in a statement. "In order to avoid a protracted legal battle, Reebok has chosen to settle with the FTC. Settling does not mean we agreed with the FTC's allegations; we do not."
sounds like a statement of the lazy or the unconfident, maybe both.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wow. Why do some people think that they can do nothing and get fit? Fat asses. No wonder we have the health problems we do.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Thats pretty funny, I wish I was stupid and had a ridiculous claim where I could sue a major coorporation and make lots of money

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I actually need new gym shoes.... I was thinking those would be good for the treadmill while running..... That or those new Nike or whatever with all the blocks on the bottom that are supposed to simulate barefoot running.....

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I actually need new gym shoes.... I was thinking those would be good for the treadmill while running..... That or those new Nike or whatever with all the blocks on the bottom that are supposed to simulate barefoot running.....
Merrell makes toe shoes and enclosed toe box shoes using the Vibram soles. They are as close to barefoot running as you can get without being barefoot. I have been using the closed toe box shoes for about 6 months and have noticed huge improvements in both my running and even posture.

A few weeks ago, after only doing three or four 2-mile runs I decided to go for a three mile run and ended up putting down 6 miles. I hadn't trained to run that much, nor had I in years, but knocked it out easily with no pain.

With my back issues I will do anything to reduce my back pain, and these are the way to go for running. You will be forced to re-learn how to run because you have to run toe-outside with no heal strike. Your calves will hate you for weeks, but the end result is awesome!

I will be using these shoes going forward indefinitely. I highly suggest reading "Born to Run", as they really go into the mechanics of barefoot running, while telling a great story.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Blocks on the bottom? Are you referring to the tread? Because the barefoot style shoe should have the heel at the same height as the ball of the foot and be flat.

I got some Merrell's a few weeks ago to start Pose method running (barefoot forefoot-style running). With 5 screws in my ankle from 1996, I was told to stop running about six years ago or else I might not be able to walk when I'm 70. The barefoot method looks like a promising way to start running again with no impact to the ankle. I really like my Merrell's but it took some time to love them.

So far so good, but as Joker pointed out, you will need to re-learn running and it's pretty brutal on the calves. I strongly recommend getting some coaching if possible. Cross-Fit Endurance can help you with this.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Blocks on the bottom? Are you referring to the tread? Because the barefoot style shoe should have the heel at the same height as the ball of the foot and be flat.

Nike Fee Run.

Not the same as the gorilla shoes with individual toes. Nike claims it is like running barefoot.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Nike Fee Run.

Not the same as the gorilla shoes with individual toes. Nike claims it is like running barefoot.
The issues still stands with the heel padding. It allows heel striking, which is THE problem that barefoot shoes correct.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The issues still stands with the heel padding. It allows heel striking, which is THE problem that barefoot shoes correct.
I switched to the Nike Free running crap a year ago and all my running problems went away. I didn't need completely flat shoes to land on the balls of my foot (tee hee_ouch). There is probably a happy medium between traditional shoes and freak shoes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've seen them and thought they might be too thin. I don't necessarily want padding for impact but padding to prevent bruises from stepping on say a large marble. I could go on but I found out what works for me and I used to have major issues with running. My only issue now is that it sucks, at least compared to any riding.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
I dont get the whole barefoot shoe thing. I understand the benefit of landing on the forefoot, but if you're going to re-learn how to run why not just do it in your current running shoes that still have cushioning.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I dont get the whole barefoot shoe thing. I understand the benefit of landing on the forefoot, but if you're going to re-learn how to run why not just do it in your current running shoes that still have cushioning.
Because that won't make you trendy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It is just harder to do with a shoe that has significantly thicker cushioning at the heel.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY

Nike Fee Run.

I have the women's version of those right now (or at least very similar). The women's doesn't have the huge padding on the heel.

How are these bare-foot shoes for just plain walking around? I have terrible chronic foot-pain and I've tried several different pairs of shoes to alleviate it. Those "zig" shoes helped the most but I quickly ruined them at work. I feel like I could learn to run in them quickly because with my old soccer cleats I had to run toe-first to get the best traction, but walking is another story..

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Why "barefoot" shoes?

I have 5 screws in my ankle from a soccer injury in 1996. I ran on it for ten years, then after an injury in 2006, my orthopedist at Balboa said, "If you want to walk when you're 70, stop running now." I stopped running. My interest in barefoot running began in June of this year when the folks at Cross-Fit told me to run 800 m for a warmup. I told them I don't run and explained the situation. They said they could teach me to run with minimal impact to the ankle using Pose method. I returned to Balboa NMC, where I was told, "There is no conclusive research on barefoot running. If it hurts, stop. Otherwise, I won't tell you not to run."

I got Merrells, a shoe without any padding in the sole because I wanted to learn forefoot running with absolutely no heel strike and nothing throwing me off-balance trying to correct pronation. I wanted to learn to correct my own pronation through proper foot posture.

My first run I limited myself to 20 minutes. Mistake. Should have limited myself to 12 minutes. My calves were killing me for two days.

I've had a dozen or so slow 10-12 minute runs since then, and have no residual calf aches. I'll work up to 30 minutes, but I'll do it with coaching. I've had a couple Pose method coaching sessions at Cross-Fit, and got some good correction.

Yesterday I left the gym in my Merrells and forgot I was wearing them. I wore them all afternoon and evening; no trouble, no soreness. I usually wear strictly Danskos, shoes known for a high arch and thick sole. The Danskos were "prescribed" by the orthopedist, BTW.

Why not just run barefoot in the grass? I thought of that. But I have developed some kind of grass allergy that leaves me with little red itchy welts all over my feet and legs when I am barefoot in the grass. So I got shoes.

I have never really been a runner; it took a lot for me to actually enjoy running. But I found that running was the quickest way to shed unwanted pounds - that was my motivation for running 10 years ago. Today, my motivation is my daughter. She loves to run. I am in training now so I can hopefully keep up with her a few years from now.

Hope this answered some questions as to why one would be motivated to purchase or wear such running shoes. I'm very happy with them.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Get someone from CrossFit or some other bad a** outfit to watch you run and tell you why it's hurting you. Either it's in your form, or it's in your legs. If it's in your legs, get an MRI before you can't walk. If it's in your form, have someone help you correct it before you do any more damage. This is what I would do. Good luck!

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Guess I'm lazy! I like the Reebok ones with the balance balls in them... I walk the dogs in them and I don't know if they work my legs any more than normal, but I find them quite comfortable! :D

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I run barefoot barefoot on the tread mill now. And it works great to hang my clothes on too.

I think I am going to take up riding my bike on it so I can rack up some miles this winter too.

Dicks...

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
I went to a running store and got fitted for a running shoe a couple of years ago. They put me in a NB 790 or something. After I'd run 5-10k my knees would ache. Just figured it was a part of running. Since I do crossfit a year ago I wanted a shoe that I could run in and that would be decent to oly/powerlift in. Went with these:
http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=27&P=5050973021

I've run a couple 5k's in them the my legs/knee's feel a ton better than with the fitted shoe. I don't practice pose running but I and more of a mid/forefoot striker.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
As much as I hate trends, I have to admit I'm on the barefoot bandwagon now. Watching our daughter learn to walk and run, and having to run after her barefoot on pavement a few times, convinced me. Then my wife started foisting the literature on me...

I got a pair of New Balance minumus shoes because I just hate the way the five-fingers look. Alas, I'm convinced the five-fingers are superior after trotting around REI in a pair while we were on vacation. It's better to let the toes splay on impact rather than forcing them into the end of a narrow shoe, IMHO.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
We have a lot of male Yokos around here in foot-glove-shoes.

Seems crazy to me, but damn are they ever fit.

Ridiculous.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
For some, not properly capitalizing and punctuation sentences is the height of laziness. I go one step further and frown on the barbarian practice of using contractions.

I have a pair of those Merrell barefoot runners. I like them, but they are as hot as ****.

Those Merrell shoes remind me of the ones I use to play indoor football:

They are designed to have feeling and control, so they are light, the leather is fine and adapts like a glove, and the hi-grip rubber sole is fine and has no padding at all. In other words, when you run you must land on your forefoot, otherwise you hammer the heel on each stride. After a match, my calves are burning.
Can that be compared to barefoot runinng? I'm asking because running with those shoes is very different (and more exhausting) than doing so with my "traditional" mizuno shoes.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
In other words, when you run you must land on your forefoot, otherwise you hammer the heel on each stride. After a match, my calves are burning.
Can that be compared to barefoot runinng? I'm asking because running with those shoes is very different (and more exhausting) than doing so with my "traditional" mizuno shoes.
Yep, that's it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
For some, not properly capitalizing and punctuation sentences is the height of laziness. I go one step further and frown on the barbarian practice of using contractions.
i laughed/pissed a little reading this...