Quantcast

how inportant is cycling in your life style?

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Well this may seem like a funny question to some pepple. I have a bunch of frends that ride but its not the biggest thing in thare life. I took a good 3 years off from riding seriosly but its definrtly back at the top of my list of things in my life that are inportant. It seems like other then the guys I work with at the shop most pepple aren't the same. Do you soend all day wating to get out of work so you can go ride? Or dream of finding a way to get payed to ride?
What sux is after many years in the bike busness I have lerned that's its a grate part time job for the discount but if you want to make a living and ride nice stuff you can't have both and work for a shop.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
If i did not ride, I honestly dont know what I would do with myself. There are other things I do, (ie. hobbies like spearfishing, reading, writing, working on my jeep) but in the end it all comes down to "When am I going to get on my bike?"
Not to sound cheesey or anything, but really, I dont know what Id waste my time or money on if it werent for riding.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Cycling is one of the most important things in my life - it gets the majority of my time, effort and money. To me quality recreational time is more important than a career.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
it's how i get to work
how i let out agression
how i keep in shape
it's just plain fun
it's how i make money (i work in a shop so i don't make much but thats all i have so...)
and it's how i keep my sanity....or whats left of it

EDIT: you can't be in a single room of my apt. without a bike next to you

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Next to my family biking is the most important thing in my life at this moment...and at times the family is downplayed because of biking. I am described to others and describe myself as a cyclist/biker. It IS who I am.

I to do not know what I would do if I wasn't able to ride, probably go insane or take up rockclimbing and backpacking more seriously....but for now it's riding and that's about it.

The Ito

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's been a large part of my life for a long time, but i'd say that biking is second behind music.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Serial Midget
To me quality recreational time is more important than a career.
:stupid:

which I'll probably regret -- soon, cuz I'm 35yo -- since it's hard to land a permanent woman without the bucks. Plus, many women I know see a lack of career as a lack of ambition or drive or ability or some bullsh:t. And I want a wife and kids, so... *shrugs*

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I would say cycling IS my life style. It's always on my mind. It's what I spend most of my time doing and thinking about, reading about, watching, and talking about.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
cycling got me out of a real $hitty point in my life so it means ALOT to me. I day dream about our next trip to the mountains, new bikes, riding anywhere, & I am always planning our next biking excursion.

I cant drive anywhere without looking out the window & thinking "that spot would be awesome for an urban thrash session." or "those hills sure could use some singletrack". I am sure I am not the only one who does this either.

cycling in my life = my health, sanity, & many many smiles.

PLUS through biking I have made alot of cool new friends & keep meeting cool biking peeps all of the time.

so, yeah, it is pretty important to me.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
yah i like to ride bikes. it's my main recreation, i don't make it out to be anything more than that. seems like alot of people want to be someone in cycling, or obsess about it, but that's a mistake in my opinion. The purity of simply getting somewhere on your own power faster and/or with more enjoyment is the basic novelty that keeps us all coming back since we were children. All the benefits that come as a result are all a bonus, and there are many.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
cycling turned my life around. now i'm on my bike everyday. i went for a while this winter without riding and could feel it. i got depressed and lazy. i am dreading going back to work because i know i wont be able to jump on my bike whenever i want and just take off. i love riding my bike more than almost everything else in the world.

my life without biking would be a sad situation.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
On an importance scale of 1-10, biking is in 11 in my life. It's all I want to do in my spare time and it's all I talk about. Most of my friends ride and all of our conversations inevitably return to biking.

It's not the only thing I enjoy, just the thing I enjoy most.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the kids have taken over as the top priority...i rarely get out these days. that will change a bit as they get older, but it will never be like it was, nor do i want it to. probably what i'm looking forward to more is riding w/ my wife on more of a regular basis. we used to ride together (w/ other friends too) a lot before bambinos were sprouting left and right. and definitelty to an extent, i've lost touch w/ a certain segment of my hardcore bike friends, who remain childless.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by TN
I cant drive anywhere without looking out the window & thinking "that spot would be awesome for an urban thrash session." or "those hills sure could use some singletrack". I am sure I am not the only one who does this either.

nope, you're not the only one my friend, it's what occupies a lot of time on the road while driving :D

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Some type of outdoor recreation has always ruled my life. It started out with riding in High School and my best friend and I used to ride 30 miles a day in the summer. During college I started rock climbing and that ruled for a while. A couple years after moving to Colorado I started riding again and it has taken over completely. I'm a jack of all trades, master of none type rider. I like riding road, mountain, trials and a bit of freeride. Just as long as it's on a bike I enjoy it. I'm definitely a bike addict. :cool:

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Originally posted by TN
I day dream about our next trip to the mountains, new bikes, riding anywhere, & I am always planning our next biking excursion.

cycling in my life = my health, sanity, & many many smiles.

PLUS through biking I have made alot of cool new friends & keep meeting cool biking peeps all of the time.

so, yeah, it is pretty important to me.
Thats about what I was gonna say. Non-bikers dont get it. My mom thinks that I shouldn't jump, etc. and that I should just "ride". Non-bikers dont know how fun biking is, how fun jumping is, and all the other stuff there is to biking that can only be expalined by riding.
Its my way of life.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
It's my #1 hobby (actually "hobby" is too weak of a word).
It's my main source of exercise and keeping fit.
It's forged a majority of my friendships.
Almost all of my vacation time and trips are bike-related.
It's become my 2nd chance at a life.
I've worked relationships (and ended them) around biking.
And of course, it consumes a significant chunk of my income. :D

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Cycling (mostly moutain but some road stuff too) is hands down my favorite "hobby" or outdoor pursuit.

I'm very fortunate to have a very supportive wife when it comes to this. She thinks it's just as important as I do that I regularly get out and ride.

As for how it ranks in my total life: 3rd behind my faith and my wife/family.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Tweek
It's my #1 hobby (actually "hobby" is too weak of a word).
It's my main source of exercise and keeping fit.
It's forged a majority of my friendships.
Almost all of my vacation time and trips are bike-related.
It's become my 2nd chance at a life.
I've worked relationships (and ended them) around biking.
And of course, it consumes a significant chunk of my income. :D

In addition I enjoy it so much I became actively involved in Trail Maintenance and have since helped brought our little group of Trail Maintainers from ~ 6 people to a club that has over 200 paying members and 400 people on our e-mail list.

Its fun to ride and fun to make a difference.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi
I would say cycling IS my life style. It's always on my mind. It's what I spend most of my time doing and thinking about, reading about, watching, and talking about.

Agreed! It's an all consuming addiction :D

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Riding (is what I do really "cycling?") is how I define my lifestyle. Obviously with a son and a wife I don't spend as much time on my bike as I did before, but it's one of the most important things in my life all the same.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
To me cycling has never been the focal point of my life. To be honest, I've never trully enjoyed riding more than 3 (perhaps 4) days out of the week. I've always seen cycling as a trusty old dog: it's always there for you to spend time with and enjoy, but doesn't mind if you're too busy at some times to play with it. I'll agree with everybody else though, I never quite feel the same if I've been off the bike too long.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Cycling is one of the most important things in my life - it gets the majority of my time, effort and money. To me quality recreational time is more important than a career.
I agree with the plum smuggler;)...when I don't ride for a while my wife says I can be real pain in the arse....D

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by Pulser955
Well this may seem like a funny question to some pepple. I have a bunch of frends that ride but its not the biggest thing in thare life. I took a good 3 years off from riding seriosly but its definrtly back at the top of my list of things in my life that are inportant. It seems like other then the guys I work with at the shop most pepple aren't the same. Do you soend all day wating to get out of work so you can go ride? Or dream of finding a way to get payed to ride?
What sux is after many years in the bike busness I have lerned that's its a grate part time job for the discount but if you want to make a living and ride nice stuff you can't have both and work for a shop.
i think someone needs to make "learning how to spell", a priority in their life. :rolleyes:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Even when I am doing other activities I love I still think about riding my bike. example: when hiking, I want to be on my bike, when playing frisbee golf, I want to be on my bike, etc.....

I dont think I will ever be burned out on riding my bikes.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by TN
I believe you have an incurable case of line disease :D . And yes, you're not the only one.

ArmOnFire

Chimp
May 10, 2004
Exeter, NH
Yeah, besides the family.......what else is there?

I'm not on a bulletin board about work crap!!!!

Toughest part is getting non-bikers to understand....

Example: When I meet someone for the first time, they see my body covered with tattoos, and find out I'm a biker.

The next question is "So you have a Harley?".

Not trying to diss motorcycles, I love anything with 2 wheels, but there is something special about being under your own power.

BIKES=FREEDOM

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by ArmOnFire
Yeah, besides the family.......what else is there?

I'm not on a bulletin board about work crap!!!!

Toughest part is getting non-bikers to understand....

Example: When I meet someone for the first time, they see my body covered with tattoos, and find out I'm a biker.

The next question is "So you have a Harley?".

Not trying to diss motorcycles, I love anything with 2 wheels, but there is something special about being under your own power.

BIKES=FREEDOM
Real bikes have pedals!
:D

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
When I was a young kid, my bike represented total freedom. I know that I can never have that now with the "adult" responsibilities in my life, but at least when I'm on my bike, I can relive it.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Riding is definitely my top lifestyle activity. Getting out on the trails after work is what gets me through work a lot of days. I find that it is so enjoyable, that any exercise portion of it is a side benefit. That's why it really sucks when it's raining as much as it has lately. :mad:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
bikes are pretty much all i want to do, riding and wrenching. i tell people that i want to be a bike mechanic, and the typical responses are "you're getting a degree from the University of Texas, and you want to work on bicycles? you're wasting your money," to which my usual thought response is "**** you, bitch. at least i'll be doing what i want." or i get "wow, that's awesome. gotta do something you enjoy." i wish more people realized that happiness doesn't equal 6-figure incomes and $60,000 cars.

splat

Nam I am
You people need to get a Life!!!!

Oh wait a minute I resemble this thread!

I used to say it was the most important thing in my life , and yes it is still up there very much so, after all I met my wife riding and have most of my best freinds ride . but once my kids came along the bike took a back seat. they became and still by far my most important thing in my life . now as they are getting older , I get to hit the pedals once again , and my son is joining in on the fun. which I do feel is a dream come true. Cycling has had and still has a major influance on my house hold , and it will for many many more years.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My LBS guy had a masters degree in some sort of engineering field but prefers to work on bikes 6 days a week. He is one of the coolest guys I know.

Over the years I have had a few good gigs - I've never had a job with a company but have been securely self employed since graduating. My then wife was an agent for New York Life and sold real estate on the side - we busted our asses for years and were pretty much unhappy with our situation. We turned our marriage situation into a small business and got divorced. When that was done I discovered that I was fat, lazy and out of shape so I bought a bike and lost 45 LBS by riding it nearly everyday for one summer. The change that made in my life was worth more than money - all the time I spent outside in the woods or on the river became my sole reason for living.

Now I have decided that it's not in me to live for a job or company, I need to find a job that allows me the time to live my life they way I want to...

Originally posted by the Inbred
bikes are pretty much all i want to do, riding and wrenching. i tell people that i want to be a bike mechanic, and the typical responses are "you're getting a degree from the University of Texas, and you want to work on bicycles? you're wasting your money," to which my usual thought response is "**** you, bitch. at least i'll be doing what i want." or i get "wow, that's awesome. gotta do something you enjoy." i wish more people realized that happiness doesn't equal 6-figure incomes and $60,000 cars.