Quantcast

how long should full face helmets last ?

eeeee

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
How meny small to medium hits can a helmet take before it needs replacing ? I've hit mine a fue times now, not really hard but how meny hits is to much ?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If by small hits you mean you dropped it in the truck... your fine, if by small hits you mean you landed on it when you crashed....technically, its already done.

A full face helmet< unless its a MIPS> is no different than an open face helmet in terms of durability of an impact. So if you have hit it hard enough that you wouldnt be using a regular open face XC helmet, its done. The materials inside that make the helmets work are the same, just that with a full face you get to keep your face.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
If by small hits you mean you dropped it in the truck... your fine, if by small hits you mean you landed on it when you crashed....technically, its already done.

A full face helmet< unless its a MIPS> is no different than an open face helmet in terms of durability of an impact. So if you have hit it hard enough that you wouldnt be using a regular open face XC helmet, its done. The materials inside that make the helmets work are the same, just that with a full face you get to keep your face.
What he said.

Or to put it another way, the fact that you are even asking, means you most likely need a new brain bucket!:thumb:
Having smashed a few helmets in my time, I dont mess around with them any more, If its been hit hard enough to be questioned, it gets shelved and replaced.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
DOT/Moto certification requires two repeated impacts...as in initial when you hit the pavement, and again when you slide across it into the wall. I don't think it's meant as a "re-wear" certification, but rather to protect the rider in the case of a tumble.

A MTB helmet disintegrates on impact, so it's only a one-hit wonder.

The Snell 1952 cert for DH includes both, but it's softer for lower speed hits vs. 60mph into a tree/pavement/car bumper that moto is for.

The theory is that moto helmets aren't as good for low speed hits due to harder foam, but I don't really believe that. I had a few low speed falls in my moto helmet and I was fine. I encourage anybody thinking about it to do their own research and decide what's right for them....for DH I don't think a MTB rated helmet is appropriate though, it should be DH/1952 or Moto certified....unless you're riding green circles only.

To the OP, I was under the impression that a helmet should generally be replaced after two years of riding/use, or after any significant fall. I've ridden for like 13 years in the same MTB helmet, but that was risky. I think the foam breaks down over time/sweat/UV damage. I would rather suffer through half an ounce of heavier weight on my head and replace it every two years then look cool in a troy lee that breaks the bank and not be able to replace it appropriately.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Are you sure? I could've sworn that DOT requires 2 impacts and the bullsh*t mtb certification only requires one. I could easily be mistaken.
This part here. The second hit is greatly reduced with the amount of protection. Bottom line in all of it is, that once you have had that first hit, weather or not you hit again in the same fall..... You should still be replacing the helmet.

DOT/Moto certification requires two repeated impacts...as in initial when you hit the pavement, and again when you slide across it into the wall. I don't think it's meant as a "re-wear" certification, but rather to protect the rider in the case of a tumble.
A MTB helmet disintegrates on impact, so it's only a one-hit wonder.

The Snell 1952 cert for DH includes both, but it's softer for lower speed hits vs. 60mph into a tree/pavement/car bumper that moto is for.

The theory is that moto helmets aren't as good for low speed hits due to harder foam, but I don't really believe that. I had a few low speed falls in my moto helmet and I was fine. I encourage anybody thinking about it to do their own research and decide what's right for them....for DH I don't think a MTB rated helmet is appropriate though, it should be DH/1952 or Moto certified....unless you're riding green circles only.

To the OP, I was under the impression that a helmet should generally be replaced after two years of riding/use, or after any significant fall. I've ridden for like 13 years in the same MTB helmet, but that was risky. I think the foam breaks down over time/sweat/UV damage. I would rather suffer through half an ounce of heavier weight on my head and replace it every two years then look cool in a troy lee that breaks the bank and not be able to replace it appropriately.

Overall, no matter what helmet it is, if your looking for a helmet taht will take multiple impacts, you want a MIPS. They are designed specifically to be reused

Even with MIPS, check it after a hit. If the foam is cracked, soft, or you just question it in anyways...... replace it

johnnypop

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
San Jose/Santa Barbara
If you ring your bell... it's toast. I've pulled apart multiple helmets I thought weren't broken because the crash wasn't terrible, turns out the foam is always compressed or cracked. One hit wonder.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
There may be a handful of scientific reasonings, thousands of disclaimers and marketing BS about helmets getting wrecked upon first hit, but only few of the riders over here in .SK actually replace their helmets that often. At the same time, NONE of the people I've known ever had a failed helmet causing them any major damage. Some cracked theirs, but got away fine. A friend of mine got into a coma that lasted for a week after a high speed hit into full stop with his brand new carbon Remedy. The helmet showed no signs of wear and I continued using it. I had a great fall 2 weeks later and even after that, there were no cracks or creaks. Moral of the story is, be careful with people trying to sell you new helmets after you fart on them. But also be honest with your assessment of risk, and take enough time to examine your helmet after each hit. Don't be too greedy, but remember that even a brand new $400 helmet may not save your life if you ride too hard. I've seen a couple guys with torn internals who nearly lost their lives. There are so many parts of your body, apart from your head, that may end up costing you your life after being hit hard. We've already got accustomed to wearing helmets and leatts, but the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dude....if you got a cheap head, wear a cheap helmet. You can survive with your spleen, stomach, intestines, pancreas, arms, legs, grundle removed, but should you shmush your head, you'll be a vegetable.

If you're comfortable wearing a helmet like that, then great, but don't recommend it for somebody else. Every piece of literature out there states that the helmet disintegrates to slow down the "secondary" impact of the head. Why would you want to ride on a helmet that will no longer do that, potentially?

Aug 4, 2008
Wear moto helmet!

They look cooler, they are waaay safer, you indeed look faster too.

Plus the giant Alien head look is awesome!

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
dude....if you got a cheap head, wear a cheap helmet. You can survive with your spleen, stomach, intestines, pancreas, arms, legs, grundle removed, but should you shmush your head, you'll be a vegetable.

If you're comfortable wearing a helmet like that, then great, but don't recommend it for somebody else. Every piece of literature out there states that the helmet disintegrates to slow down the "secondary" impact of the head. Why would you want to ride on a helmet that will no longer do that, potentially?
My only issue with what you posted is that certifications are supposed to be even across the board. For example, my sub $150 Rockgardn DOT helmet is supposed to provide the same protection as a $500 DOT TLD lid. Right? It seems to me that if you're choosing between two helmets with the same certification, then the excess price you'd be paying for one would be for non-safety related features such as light weight or "siqq grafix".

Of course, this probably doesn't apply to POC or any other brands that offer MIPS, but for most standard helmets isn't that the case?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yes...my point was less to "spend more to get a better helmet" but spend the appropriate amount for protection. It's not worth spending 30$ on a glorified full face bike helmet when for about $100 you could get one with DH specific certification or Moto/DOT certification. The speeds we see in DH are greater than what the MTB standards call for. you may get some better protection by spending more, mostly in restraints or non-cert features, but you won't get "better" matching of certifications. That's especially true for a used helmet, especially one that has been crashed in. The foam compresses, even if it doesn't look like it, and you wind up with less protection than you started with.

The guy up above saying we should ride broken helmets is absolutely wrong...maybe you got lucky and hit in a different spot or maybe the guy never actually hit his head/helmet...but I don't want to be the guy who wrecks in the same place twice in order to save $50 and is now a vegetable.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yes...my point was less to "spend more to get a better helmet" but spend the appropriate amount for protection. It's not worth spending 30$ on a glorified full face bike helmet when for about $100 you could get one with DH specific certification or Moto/DOT certification. The speeds we see in DH are greater than what the MTB standards call for.
Bingo. I just buy a new DOT helmet on closeout every 6-12 months. I've usually got a stack of them in my room. Usually no more than $70 bucks. I think my life and 8-10 years of post secondary education are worth it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My only issue with what you posted is that certifications are supposed to be even across the board. For example, my sub $150 Rockgardn DOT helmet is supposed to provide the same protection as a $500 DOT TLD lid. Right? It seems to me that if you're choosing between two helmets with the same certification, then the excess price you'd be paying for one would be for non-safety related features such as light weight or "siqq grafix".

Of course, this probably doesn't apply to POC or any other brands that offer MIPS, but for most standard helmets isn't that the case?
To the best of my knowledge, POC is currently the only company offering a MIPS dh helmet. and only one of their models is MIPS designed/certified.

Yes...my point was less to "spend more to get a better helmet" but spend the appropriate amount for protection. It's not worth spending 30$ on a glorified full face bike helmet when for about $100 you could get one with DH specific certification or Moto/DOT certification. The speeds we see in DH are greater than what the MTB standards call for. you may get some better protection by spending more, mostly in restraints or non-cert features, but you won't get "better" matching of certifications. That's especially true for a used helmet, especially one that has been crashed in. The foam compresses, even if it doesn't look like it, and you wind up with less protection than you started with.

The guy up above saying we should ride broken helmets is absolutely wrong...maybe you got lucky and hit in a different spot or maybe the guy never actually hit his head/helmet...but I don't want to be the guy who wrecks in the same place twice in order to save $50 and is now a vegetable.
Bingo. I just buy a new DOT helmet on closeout every 6-12 months. I've usually got a stack of them in my room. Usually no more than $70 bucks. I think my life and 8-10 years of post secondary education are worth it.

g2k has the right idea... you don't have to spend a lot to be protected. 661 flight helmets have been showing up for like $70 on chainlove lately, so there's no reason to NOT spring for a new lid.

In regards to sandwich's comments about certifications... helmets sold with X certification all meet the requirements as set forth by that particular specification. How much BETTER they perform than the spec, we don't know; that information is never disclosed. Is it possible that more expensive helmet would offer better protection? Sure. Likely, I wouldn't bet on it. The extra money probably (I'm guessing) goes towards more high end materials (aka lighter composites, like carbon vs fiberglass), and other bells & whistles.