Quantcast

How long to get used to wide bars?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So I've been riding my friends' bikes with their 750mm Burgtecs around the carpark, and they feel pretty good. I'm still on 685 EA70s. I fancy trying them out. But how long will it take me to get used to them? Will it have a negative effect on my riding for a while, or will I get used to them almost immediately? Obviously we're mid race season, and I wonder if I should wait until winter before I swap?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Couple rides is all it took for me. It got to the point I am so used to wide bars I have them on my freeride bike, slalom bike, and xc bike now. FWIW I am on ~29"/~745mm Sunline V1's.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm still trying to decide if I like my Havoc's, thinking about cutting them down.
And they're only 711! How tall are you? I'm 6ft2, so I feel I should be trying wider bars since everyone's raving about them so much..

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I went from 28's to Gravity Lites at about 29.75. It felt weird in some slower sections that accessed the DH in my area but pretty much felt at home right away. I think it should feel pretty comfortable very soon after switching, or else try something narrower. The change might be too extreme.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I can not tell whether I am slower or faster, but I am dead sure that after I got my 760mm Transition T-Bar, I immediately got rid of any finger knuckle pain that has been restricting my riding for the last 2 years with 680-690mm bars. I had tried a lot of medications, carbon parts and air forks before doing this cheap trick. It took me by surprise, seriously. I just wanted to try it out, now I will never come back.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
A race I did this weekend had some pretty rough braking bumps in a high-speed loose rocky section. I was really nervous on the brakes on the way into the corner, and as such was dragging them way earlier than I needed to. I can't quite explain why, but I feel if I'd had wider bars I would have had more confidence down there?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Additionally, what options are there on the market?

I want 720mm+. I'm currently planning to get the 740 burgtecs and trim to 720-730ish maybe if they seem too wide. I don't think 710 (what most seem to be) is enough of a step up from my 685.

Obviously relatively light. Burgtec claim 270g, though I expect it's a lie. Anything over 300g and I'm not interested really.

And low rise, 25mm max. A lot of bars out there only seem to come in 40mm+ rises which is no good for me.

Cheers!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sunline's are available in 19mm or 38mm rise at widths of 711mm or 745mm (4 diff riser options). They also make a flat bar that is 762mm. The only rise bars that are sub 300-g are the 711mm width. The flat bar is 303g (claimed).

Deity dirty 30's are 760mm with a 25mm rise. Claimed weight is 296g (uncut).

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Seb, you should try mine - Gravity Lights cut to 780mm, they're low rise (25mm). Not sure on the weight but wider bars need to be a bit beefier due to the extra leverage put on them. I felt right at home after a couple of rides from fitting them and I'm only and inch taller than you.
I know the braking bumps you're talking about, the wide bars do help!
Yeah 710 is not much of a step up, that's what I had before the GL's.

Anyway, next time we ride you can try mine out if you wish?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I'm happy with my Burgtec LoRise RideWides.

Didn't take any time to get used to. Just felt right.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'd like to buy something today Tim, get them before the weekend. Cheers for the offer though. GLs are only 710mm wide according to CRC, I guess there's a wider option (800mm!) that they don't sell.

Sicklines has them down at 404g. At that width they're going to be pretty overbuilt in the middle when I inevitably cut them down, I think I'll pass.

OK, new criteria, not interested at the moment in anything that's wider than 750/760 :)

Last edited:

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
I'd like to buy something today Tim, get them before the weekend. Cheers for the offer though. GLs are only 710mm wide according to CRC, I guess there's a wider option (800?!!) that they don't sell.
Hmm, well mine definitely started at 800mm wide! I did buy them from the States though..

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Ooh, the racefaces DO look nice... I know they're 785s but has anyone got a weight for them? Nothing on sicklines or raceface's site.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Balls.

I emailed raceface to see how heavy their bars are. didnt really expect a reply, especially once I got an out-of-office autoreply. Called a UK bike shop who told me they weigh about the same as EA70s (260g ish) which i struggled to believe, but they said it's definitely under 300g, so I thought what the hell and ordered away (from CRC as the shop had no stock).

10 minutes later and I get an email back from RF telling me they're circa 335g.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have Kore Torsions at 800mm...they are monster bars and are super wide with 20mm rise. They are extremely comfortable however and high speed runs are natural after a couple days riding. They are a little too wide for trees though, and I have a couple of nasty marks on my fingers from punching a couple. Estimated weight is 315-340g, which is too high for you, but they might be acceptable once cut.

Regardless, I really dig the wide bars. They do make pulling up a bit more of a challenge because of the ride and width, and they work different muscles, most noticeably my back (traps?) vs. my arm muscles (tris). I can't be as scientific as I'd like since so many other factors changed, but berms are just nasty with them.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Explain please - if there's negative points I'd like to know what they are and why?

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I just switched from 685mm EA70s to 760mm Nuke Proof Warheads with a 20mm ride and they immediately felt natural. They're sub 300g (Sicklines verified) and I have had no problems hitting trees (and we have lots of them in New England). I'm 6'3. You don't realize how well they handle until you ride them.
Edit: I think by nasty he means great ;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheaper than the racefaces too, somehow managed to miss those when browsing CRC. Think I may change my order - I always had a bit of a hard-on for nuke proof when they were in the business 12 years ago, and it's good to see them back!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have only heard good things about the Deity Dirty30s....I probably would have grabbed those if I were more concerned with weight, but the availability kind of sucked and the Kores were way cheap.

Yes, by nasty I mean awesome. They give you superb stability and really let you rail. I have a hard time because I know my bars are too wide, but they track so much better at high and low speeds, it's tough to want to cut them down.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I was sold 10 seconds into my first ride on my new Gravity's. The gain in control was huge, I'll never run less than 29" bars again.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Holy wide-bar Batman! 800mm :eek:

I really like my FUNN FullOn. May be too much rise for some flat bar freaks but I don't mind. Not the lightest either but I think it's a very solid product.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Seb,

When you have spent some time on them can you update? I've tried the Burgtec RW's but didn't like the shape of them, so went back to EA70's with some extensions in them.

They have been in nearly 2 years now, so its probably time to retire these bars & would like to go wider than 735 (what they currently are).

The Atlas bars have the same backsweep as the EA70's but slightly less upsweep...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Really? Specs I can find online are

ea70: 9°/5° (source: eastonbike.com)
atlas: 9°/4° (source: raceface.com)
RWs: 9°/4° (source: raceface.com)
Nukes: 9°/6° (source: nukeproof.com)

Suggesting Atlases will be pretty similar to the RWs. I'm hoping the extra 1° of the Nukes wont be offputting.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Wierd, maybe it was something to do with them being the mid rise rather than the lows, but I couldn't get on with them at all. Loved the width, just the rest.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Deity Dirty30s

I went from 680 bars to the Deitys (760s) pretty much after a couple of runs felt comfortable on them, i was actually suprised how much of a good difference it was. Wouldnt go back now.
The Deitys are realtively light as well (cant remember weight of the top of my head but it was the lower end) with a very reasonable price. Only issue with them is they scratch pretty much just from looking at them.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah the painted (I presume?) finish of the Deitys makes them a no-no for me. Bars shouldn't flake!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
There's some confusion over the width of the Nuke proof bars. Some places say 750mm, some say 760mm. Some like CRC & Sicklines say both on the same page. Nuke Proof's site calls them 750mm, but people who have bought them on CRC say they're 760mm wide. Go figure.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hot diggity CRC are fast. Placed the order for the Atlases at 5:40 yesterday, so when I called to cancel it their offices were shut and I couldn't. Forgot to call them at 9am when they opened today to cancel it, and by 10:20am when I did call they'd already processed packed and shipped it! Arse